8s rigs 10mm shock alternative?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was the first of the stuff I broke on the K8S along with the front arms & shock shafts. Damn thing couldn't take a tumble at all back then. I didn't notice any side to side play but there was a bit up & down. I fixed it with a 1mm thick 6mm ID copper washer. The first one I bought didn't have the holes tapped for the mud guards but these last 2 did.
Hey bud. Do those Rovan shocks come with oil inside of them? So I guess I can buy the GPM springs made for the O8S shocks if don't like the stock ones? The only thing I do is go very fast and get as much air as possible with my rigs 🤣🤣🤣

Hey bud. Do those Rovan shocks come with oil inside of them? So I guess I can buy the GPM springs made for the O8S shocks if don't like the stock ones? The only thing I do is go very fast and get as much air as possible with my rigs 🤣🤣🤣
They come with something inside, feels like 1000cst. Nowhere near what's needed though. I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBV1LMK/?th=1 It was perfect with the GPM springs.

@aametzger Did you end up with a spring and oil weight you were happy with in combination with the rovan shock setup on the K8S?

I've tried combining my stock K8S springs with the rovan hardware, and mixed what should approximately be 7000cst oil all around, spring and rebound seem ok, truck sits a bit taller right now though and feels like it is going to roll over with any mid speed corner.

Does anyone know what the actual shocks that KT used on his build? He mentioned his buddy Martin recommended some that were the correct length for the K8S but did not share any more of the recipe for that sauce. Appreciate your input.

@aametzger Did you end up with a spring and oil weight you were happy with in combination with the rovan shock setup on the K8S?

I've tried combining my stock K8S springs with the rovan hardware, and mixed what should approximately be 7000cst oil all around, spring and rebound seem ok, truck sits a bit taller right now though and feels like it is going to roll over with any mid speed corner.

Does anyone know what the actual shocks that KT used on his build? He mentioned his buddy Martin recommended some that were the correct length for the K8S but did not share any more of the recipe for that sauce. Appreciate your input.
On the outcast 8s I am using 5000wt in rear and 6000 in frt i believe. I have my collars all the way up or close to the top. I am using the arrma springs. On the rear I am using the heavier option springs from arrma. in the front i think i'm using stock arrma spring rate.

I believe they are the company called "30° north " shocks for losi 5ive t
Martin Creases channel
Thank you, yep I did see that they were from 30° north but there are a few different options avaiable for that platform. I'll see if I can find anything on the channel.

On the outcast 8s I am using 5000wt in rear and 6000 in frt i believe. I have my collars all the way up or close to the top. I am using the arrma springs. On the rear I am using the heavier option springs from arrma. in the front i think i'm using stock arrma spring rate.
Thank you, I'll see if I can tweak my setup a bit to lower the wt. did you change any of the damper settings from what rovan gave out of the box?

Thank you, yep I did see that they were from 30° north but there are a few different options avaiable for that platform. I'll see if I can find anything on the channel.

Thank you, I'll see if I can tweak my setup a bit to lower the wt. did you change any of the damper settings from what rovan gave out of the box?
I'm not sure i entirely understand your question. yes i changed the stock rovan dampening. changing the oil weight affects the dampening and i also used the stock arrma springs. the rovan springs which were designed for the front are way too soft for the arrma rigs. There are no dampening adjustments directly on the shocks unless you buy the extra cap with external reservoir, which does have a dampening adjustment screw. i do not have those.

I'm not sure i entirely understand your question. yes i changed the stock rovan dampening. changing the oil weight affects the dampening and i also used the stock arrma springs. the rovan springs which were designed for the front are way too soft for the arrma rigs. There are no dampening adjustments directly on the shocks unless you buy the extra cap with external reservoir, which does have a dampening adjustment screw. i do not have those.

Sorry my apologies for the confusion on my part. Learning the terminology still. I was referring to the disk within the shock shaft that has the holes which can increase or decrease the fluids movement. It sounds like you have kept this as they came. Thanks again for the extra feedback. I think Rovan can thank you for causing them to go out of stock on that part #: )

Sorry my apologies for the confusion on my part. Learning the terminology still. I was referring to the disk within the shock shaft that has the holes which can increase or decrease the fluids movement. It sounds like you have kept this as they came. Thanks again for the extra feedback. I think Rovan can thank you for causing them to go out of stock on that part #: )
LOL yea they have came in and out of stock a few times lately. I have not tweaked the pistons yet.. I have that in my back pocket for sure. I want to get more runs under my belt on both rigs before i decide to play with the pistons. But i am considering it as an option for the future.

LOL yea they have came in and out of stock a few times lately. I have not tweaked the pistons yet.. I have that in my back pocket for sure. I want to get more runs under my belt on both rigs before i decide to play with the pistons. But i am considering it as an option for the future.
KT also had a hand in it. He can push 100s of nooblets toward anything in seconds. Thankfully him & Claire said the 10mm shock shafts bottoms out against the cap - which they clearly DON'T. Whatever BS he spills only goes with the entertainer in him. Even the most novice among us know how to find true advice. BUT they did buy out the shocks before that so it was too late. So expect more of them to show up here after trying to find answers when KT had none. IF they also knew the rear shocks are perfect for the X-Maxx, they would all be gone too. I only was able to get 2 sets for the Arrmas. I have the rears for the X-Maxx. I had to get a 3rd set from Ali-slowboat for the EXB.

Last edited:
I guess I was gushing over the shocks so much I forgot to upload the pics :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 128477
I'm using the GPM silver springs with 5000cst.

View attachment 128478
Seriously, these things make the stock shocks look like a joke :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 128479
The GPM shocks in the middle has 6mm shafts & come with silver & gold springs. the silver springs are a little stiffer than stock while the gold are much stiffer. These shocks even make those look pitiful.

View attachment 128484View attachment 128486View attachment 128487
Does anyone have the Rovan shock part numbers that fit the K8??
Thank you.

I saw this on facebook . . .

161062342_10158945832378959_1932637815814377881_n.jpg

His setup is terrible. He bought the front & rear shocks, didn't change the fluids & bolted them straight to an Outcast :rolleyes: The fronts are bouncy as hell & the rears compress & won't come back up. Then he goes out, drives all batty, breaks a RPM arm :oops: & blames the truck for not being as tough as an X-Maxx. . . . :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

At least I know what it takes to break them now :ROFLMAO:

@Arrma Addict
These will fit the rear of the Kraton but will be a bit too long for the front if you are looking to maintain the stock geometry of the kraton (the front shocks are shorter than the rear)
You could swap out the front shock tower to the taller one like the outcast (outcast has same front and rear tower - same part number as kraton rear tower) but this will make the truck higher in the front and give it different driving characteristics.
I haven't researched the shock options for the kraton front, but to be honest if you are looking to maintain the kraton feel and stance i would wait till the exb shocks are available as a part. If you are really wanting the much beefier ones like the rovans i would measure the stock kraton front shock eyelet to eyelet and see if rovan(or others) has something the same length.

@Arrma Addict
These will fit the rear of the Kraton but will be a bit too long for the front if you are looking to maintain the stock geometry of the kraton (the front shocks are shorter than the rear)
You could swap out the front shock tower to the taller one like the outcast (outcast has same front and rear tower - same part number as kraton rear tower) but this will make the truck higher in the front and give it different driving characteristics.
I haven't researched the shock options for the kraton front, but to be honest if you are looking to maintain the kraton feel and stance i would wait till the exb shocks are available as a part. If you are really wanting the much beefier ones like the rovans i would measure the stock kraton front shock eyelet to eyelet and see if rovan(or others) has something the same length.
I use the "H" tower on my front with rear shocks in front .. I like it to me it helps with front chassis slap

I saw this on facebook . . .

View attachment 133017

His setup is terrible. He bought the front & rear shocks, didn't change the fluids & bolted them straight to an Outcast :rolleyes: The fronts are bouncy as hell & the rears compress & won't come back up. Then he goes out, drives all batty, breaks a RPM arm :oops: & blames the truck for not being as tough as an X-Maxx. . . . :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

At least I know what it takes to break them now :ROFLMAO:
This is unfortunate. Did you try to assist him with understanding the correct setup?

I am running the kraton MT with all 4 rovan rears right now and am having pretty good success. (first run video will drop tomorrow) I still have some shock tuning to do as it's a little stiff and bouncy when just cruising over bumpy terrain, but at high speed and with big landings its working as expected. It's likely that the only solution will be customizing the pistons and dropping down in oil weight, but I will keep testing it for a while before I make any major changes.
I use the "H" tower on my front with rear shocks in front .. I like it to me it helps with front chassis slap
Yea i have that setup on my kraton MT build, but with the rovan rear shocks x4. After driving the outcast and then getting the kraton I always felt like the front on the kraton was constantly hitting the ground and scrubbing speed when jumping dirt or gravel. Even if i didn't go full MT with mine I likely would have done what you did and went with a square setup on the kraton. I was assuming the OP was wanting to keep the lower front geometry so that's why i answered the way i did. Gotta love these rigs eh? bash on!! lol Got any pics of what your stock kraton looks like with square setup? - (sorry i know this term may not translate here but i'm used to it with 1:1 cars when talking staggered vs square tire setup)

Last edited:
Here's the first run video of the Kraton MT with Rovan rear shocks x4 that I just got done editing. I have ran it a couple times since, but still need to edit those. Enjoy!

Would it work to put Rovan front shocks on the front and Rovan rear shocks on the rear of the K8s????

Would it work to put Rovan front shocks on the front and Rovan rear shocks on the rear of the K8s????
If you swap out the front shock tower to the outcast tower, I know the rovan fronts will fit. (I can't comment on fitment when leaving stock front tower installed) The rovan rears fit on the rear but you will want to add 8-10mm tubing spacers inside on the shock shaft to prevent over extending the arms and causing the driveshafts to bind up. Keep in mind it will sit up really tall compared to the stock ride height, and maybe even be overly tall in the rear. Personally if i was going to stay with the base kraton look, and was going to put on rovan shocks, i would change the front shock tower and get 4 rovan fronts. The rears are 3/4 inch longer than the rovan fronts, and the rovan fronts are 1/2 longer than the kraton rear (frt&rr on outcast) That puts the rovan rears a whole inch longer than the stock kraton rears. I could probably mock up the setup you are asking and take a pic, but it will be with the taller shock tower in the front (sorry i don't want to swap out my shock tower to test it :cool: ) give me some time. maybe in the next day or so. what tires are you running?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back