8s rigs 10mm shock alternative?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had the rear shocks, they would be 8 1/2" eye to eye, instant binding, & you would need a ton of muscle to fit them, plus the rear springs are about the same stiffness as the stock EXB rear springs. The front shocks are a tiny bit longer than the EXB rear shock, & have super soft springs. The fit on the EXB w/o much effort at all.
I'm gonna go with the front Rovan shocks (since that's what I got) , the stock Outcast 8s springs and that 5000 CST silicone oil that you suggested. I'm just worried about how we are going to get parts for these shocks once something breaks or the seals get worn. Or is that solved? I did order extra rear EXB shocks so I'll have those as a back up. Even those are an issue currently since some of the EXB parts are on backorder 🙄. Thanks for the info Megasty! And all of you testing too! 👍

I have emailed rovan and hey said they are planning to get some parts but have no eta on when they will be available. I'm running 5000cst in the outcast and i still feel like i get a lot of bounce on landing, especially on a hard hit. it's pretty common that i flip over after the landing unless i use some throttle right after landing to help keep it on its wheels. I am actually going to be testing 3000cst on the outcast and 4000cst on the mt build (rovan rear shocks) I'm not saying this config will be the sweet spot but I want to test it to see how it reacts. I also have a set of the exb shocks from jennys rc that i will likely try swapping mid run to compare the difference on the same terrain/jumps (on the outcast)

I have emailed rovan and hey said they are planning to get some parts but have no eta on when they will be available. I'm running 5000cst in the outcast and i still feel like i get a lot of bounce on landing, especially on a hard hit. it's pretty common that i flip over after the landing unless i use some throttle right after landing to help keep it on its wheels. I am actually going to be testing 3000cst on the outcast and 4000cst on the mt build (rovan rear shocks) I'm not saying this config will be the sweet spot but I want to test it to see how it reacts. I also have a set of the exb shocks from jennys rc that i will likely try swapping mid run to compare the difference on the same terrain/jumps (on the outcast)
I think that I mentioned that I damaged a rear EXB K8S shock on a bad landing (shock cartridge) but the shock rod ends and shock shafts are looking good so far. If those things were to fail (break or bend) that jump would have done it. So yeah 👍

I just smashed up a 10mm shock end but the fix is relatively simple, now a just have to get it . . .

I went with them but put rubber gas line inside of them to limit them

20210502_071328.jpg

20210502_143216.jpg

I went with them but put rubber gas line inside of them to limit them

View attachment 143584

View attachment 143585
Have you ever go bashing with those GPM shock tower? My friend has those GPM shock tower and they got bend really bad after a light bash section. They look good but those shock tower made out of soft aluminum can't handle bashing at all. I wish M2C make shock tower for Kraton 8S.

I haven't heard of anyone breaking or bending the GPM towers. I have a set for all my rigs but haven't installed them all yet, just the rears on the 2 trucks that broke the stock towers. Now the 6s towers are complete trash but you will need C4 to do anything to the 8s towers.
Are the shock mounting positions the same as stock? looks like there are 2 mounting points which one is the same as the stock position?
The inner holes line up with the stock positions.

Has anyone experienced leaking with the Rovan shocks? One of mine is leaking from the bottom. So where do we get gaskets or seals for these things? Bummer. And I was starting to like them too. Maybe because I used 70wt oil? Too thin? I don't know.

Has anyone experienced leaking with the Rovan shocks? One of mine is leaking from the bottom. So where do we get gaskets or seals for these things? Bummer. And I was starting to like them too. Maybe because I used 70wt oil? Too thin? I don't know.
The outer cartridge has a black rubber seal & 2 washers covering a PVC seal on the inside. So you need to know whether it's leaking from the shock body or the shaft. Or simply see if the rubber seal is damaged. It's also possible for sand to get in the PVC seal & grind it away (which is why I don't run in the stuff).

20210506_012712.jpg

The outer cartridge has a black rubber seal & 2 washers covering a PVC seal on the inside. So you need to know whether it's leaking from the shock body or the shaft. Or simply see if the rubber seal is damaged. It's also possible for sand to get in the PVC seal & grind it away (which is why I don't run in the stuff).

View attachment 144091
When I moved the shaft up and down, I see the oil coming out of the shaft area on the bottom.

That means the blue PVC got ate up - which means a new cart - & Rovan don't have replacements yet :rolleyes:
That sucks. I think since the EXB shocks are working great on my heavier EXB K8S, I'll probably try to snatch two more rear ones. I'm waiting on parts for the rear one that I messed up on my K8S (shock cartridge), so Arrma doesn't have replacement parts either at the moment. Bummer

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back