Senton 9.6v nimh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trixxstrr

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
A while back pl9171 was posting about using a 9.6v nimh 8 cell so I bought one and tried it out but I'm not having much luck. I charged the battery and it goes only for like 30 seconds before it cuts out with a flashing light on the esc. Did anyone ever have any issues like that? Steering still works but won't go. If I turn it off and on it does like this lurching kind of motion a few times before stopping again flashing. I'm wondering maybe if there is like an over voltage cutoff or something? Senton 4x4 mega brushed, latest one, red color, just bought this spring, all stock. Comes with 8.4v 7 cell, that one works fine still. I first bought a cheap 9.6v 5000mah Masione battery from ebay and I thought that was the problem, so I got a refund on that, and bought a 9.6v 5000mah Traxxas brand one, but same problem. The only other thing is both new batteries had a traxxas connector so I had to use a traxxas to deans adapter to hook it to the car, don't know if that would have any effect?

Last edited:
Arrma lists the esc as 2s lipo 7 cell nimh (8.4v) max. https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR390068. Also think PL was using a 12T Titan motor not stock.

Maybe PL has a older different model that was capable of higher voltage? It looks like a rebrand Hobbywing WP1040 which is rated a 3s capable esc but rebrands are sometimes neutered down versions of the actual product it's coping or rebranding.

Anyone have any idea what the high voltage cutoff might be? I’m thinking maybe I could charge these 9.6v batteries to the cutoff and then stop. Cause my 8.4v batteries charge to like 9.9 and run fine. 9.6 charged to 10.9.

Hi,
9,6V Nimh little video;

It 's a 2017 Arrma stock ESC. No problem at all since we use 9,6V.
PL

I've have better luck with them since then, I think it might have just been a charging issue. I got my charger 2nd hand and found something in the settings about the default dv cutoff setting was supposed to be 8 but was set to 7. Also I was running it on quick charge capacity mode which ran it at 5 amps. I set dv back to 8, and did a slow charge at 0.2a and it had a nice run with that, well still seemed a little short about 10 min run, I thought my old 5000mah 8.4v battery ran longer than that, but still I think not too bad.

A while back pl9171 was posting about using a 9.6v nimh 8 cell so I bought one and tried it out but I'm not having much luck. I charged the battery and it goes only for like 30 seconds before it cuts out with a flashing light on the esc. Did anyone ever have any issues like that? Steering still works but won't go. If I turn it off and on it does like this lurching kind of motion a few times before stopping again flashing. I'm wondering maybe if there is like an over voltage cutoff or something? Senton 4x4 mega brushed, latest one, red color, just bought this spring, all stock. Comes with 8.4v 7 cell, that one works fine still. I first bought a cheap 9.6v 5000mah Masione battery from ebay and I thought that was the problem, so I got a refund on that, and bought a 9.6v 5000mah Traxxas brand one, but same problem. The only other thing is both new batteries had a traxxas connector so I had to use a traxxas to deans adapter to hook it to the car, don't know if that would have any effect?
Make absolutely sure your ESC is set for nim packs. If it remains set for Lipo packs LVC will always cutoff prematurely. The non-linear power delivery profile of a nim pack will always trigger LVC if set for Lipo. A basic rule.
ESC's tend to be set to Lipo at the factory. Lipos are the norm nowadays for most brand RC rigs. Not to say you should not run nim packs.
I just don't. Having used hundreds of sub-c nim packs over 30+years in RC, Lipo's are here to stay and I encourage all to embrace that technology.
But nim packs just may serve useful for some. To each his own. Nim packs are a different chemistry with different characteristics. And they just don't last long, and they charge slower. Just not practical in todays RC industry.
I understand that many people fear Lipos though. People tend to fear something they don't understand. But Lipos are good.:)
BTW, NimH packs are much more toxic to the environment than Lipo's ecologically wise.
Nim packs cost more per volt than Lipo. They are in low demand and have a high markup as a result .High end "matched Nim packs" don't exist anymore. Unless you buy them in bulk cases of a Gross(144) and match each sub-C cell into similar peak voltage groups and assemble your own nim packs. I could usually get 5 good 7.2v packs built from 144 potential sub-C cells. That equated to 30 Race quality cells out of 144 bought. The lower grade cells I just made into basher packs. But it still was much cheaper to buy a gross of sub-c's in this way to endup with 5 race packs. A gross of "fresh" Sanyo sub-C cells could be bought for $100. This was done in serious Racing years back. Sanyo Sub-C cells were the rage. It was cheaper to build your own competition packs than spend $80.-$110. for one Trinity 7.2v Nim pack. And Back then Racing heats were 5 minutes long. You just could not ever compete and finish a race with an unmatched Nim pack or NiCad. That's why rigs were also designed very very light back then or you would "Dump" fast during a race and DNF all the time.
Nim packs of today are not matched and get a premium price none the less. They are considered obsolete in many other industries by comparison. There is just no excuse for RC brands to incorporate Nim packs in there offerings any longer in this day and age.. But they do anyway. Many ESC manufacturers still offer nim pack settings at the behest of the Kit manufacturers requests. Silly that they drive that obsolete requirement.
I can be long winded at times.
But I hope this helps others.

Last edited:
But nim packs just may serve useful for some.

Hi Src,
For an 8 y/o kid.
I much prefer to see her handling an Nimh battery on the charger than a Lipo battery.

Attachments

• IMG_1897gfgf.jpg
    IMG_1897gfgf.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 48
QUOTE="pl9171, post: 167763, member: 7923"]
Hi Src,
For an 8 y/o kid.
I much prefer to see her handling an Nimh battery on the charger than a Lipo battery.
[/QUOTE]
I completely understand. Although my 9 year old son is very good at driving, his Notorious 6s and understands the components and can handle basic wheel changes etc. And can actually point out broken parts, I do not let him near my lipo charger. He knows lipo rules and how dangerous they can be from user error. I showed him videos of lipo fires and even his Noto. Esc went up in flames and not the Lipo which Horizon H. was happy to warranty more than $300.00. in parts and labor. He learned alot about his NOTO. from that epic esc failure nonetheless. He developed much more respect for his Notorious from that one experience. I admit that a 6s rig appears to be much for any 9 yo, but he has been using Hobby grade rigs since he was 6. He has his own 6 rig collection against my 17 rigs. Lol.
You are being very responsible.
A 9.6v nim pack is better suited for children under 14 yoa absolutely.
I still use some 7.2 nim packs in his 1/10 scale rigs. And supervision is still necessary. Again, my son knows that only I charge and maintain lipos. And only I mount them on the chassis prior to running. At least with his 6s rig.
I imagine boys like to experiment more than girls. Girls mature faster and tend not to take risks like boys who take chances and feel they know all. I could be wrong. I only have one son.lol
Come to think of it he will be 10 yo in a few months. Wow time flys.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back