Senton A few questions about my new Senton 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trixxstrr

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
I just bought my first RC, a Senton 4x4 Mega Brushed. And I have a few questions that I haven't really been able to find an answer for searching.
1. I've taken it out a few times now and got a blinking light after running hard for under 10 minutes. The manual says maybe overheat? But it's been a cool day in the Canadian North, so only 15 Celsius outside (60 f). Is this normal? Both with the 2400 mah battery that came with it and a 5000 mah battery I bought after (Both Nimh). Both cut out while running with flashing light.
2. Should I get a Lipo 2S battery? I saw one video that showed it actually slower with the 7.4v lipo vs the 8.4v nihh battery. I saw one post that a 3s would fry it with stock everything else in it.
3. And a follow up to above, can the included wall slow charger charge a lipo battery?

I just bought my first RC, a Senton 4x4 Mega Brushed. And I have a few questions that I haven't really been able to find an answer for searching.
1. I've taken it out a few times now and got a blinking light after running hard for under 10 minutes. The manual says maybe overheat? But it's been a cool day in the Canadian North, so only 15 Celsius outside (60 f). Is this normal? Both with the 2400 mah battery that came with it and a 5000 mah battery I bought after (Both Nimh). Both cut out while running with flashing light.
2. Should I get a Lipo 2S battery? I saw one video that showed it actually slower with the 7.4v lipo vs the 8.4v nihh battery. I saw one post that a 3s would fry it with stock everything else in it.
3. And a follow up to above, can the included wall slow charger charge a lipo battery?

Hi!
Welcome here.
1-Yes, possible. When I run 3s, the blinking light happens rapidly.
2-Yes. But we ran 9,6V NImh (kind of 2,5S) all season long last summer and the ESC + motor have been ok. Yes, 3s will fry the motor but not directly the esc (from our latest experiences);
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/after-1-month-of-running-in-3s-on-old-mega.11034/
3-No. Only for Nimh.
PL

I guess my question should have been is it worth getting a 2s Lipo or just stick with the nimh? Especially if that 9.6v is safe to run for a full run, then it sounds like the 9.6v nimh would be better to buy over the 2s Lipo?

I guess my question should have been is it worth getting a 2s Lipo or just stick with the nimh? Especially if that 9.6v is safe to run for a full run, then it sounds like the 9.6v nimh would be better to buy over the 2s Lipo?

Hi,
The Lipo will last longer (cycles) and will be more "homogene" during a session.
But the 9,6V will be faster on the throttle response and top speed (from our experiences)
For my son and my daughter, Nimh is a better option for daily using + charging.
PL

Nimh is fine but I prefer the punch I get from a lipo battery. The lipo will hold it's power (voltage) throughout the run (less voltage sag) than a nimh battery. In the end a 2s lipo would be a better choice especially if you decide to go brushless. The brushed motors don't tolerate getting hot to well and end up burning up.

PL is using the Traxxas 12t Titan which some have success running. The stock (Mega brushed) motor and/or esc overheating is a very common complaint on the Mega 4x4. The overheating is what can cut run times shorter even though their is still usable voltage still in the battery. So using a higher voltage nimh (like 9.6v) won't make problems better only worse (overheating).

Ok, I'll skip the 9.6v for now since I'm already overheating.
I'm guessing the 2s lipo would still have the same overheating problem as I have with the nimh?
Any quick fix for the overheating issue?

Ok, I'll skip the 9.6v for now since I'm already overheating.
I'm guessing the 2s lipo would still have the same overheating problem as I have with the nimh?
Any quick fix for the overheating issue?

Yep still can overheat a 8.4v nimh does have a higher initial charged voltage than a 2s lipo but this difference is lost in a couple minutes than with lipo. As said before a 2s lipo holds it's voltage better than a 8.4v nimh throughout the run of the pack (to lvc for lipo).

Quick fix would be to try some cooling for the motor like a heatsink and fan. The best fix is to try a different motor. In my experience with brushed motors and 1/10 4x4's it's best to quit messing with them and go brushless (better in the long run IMO). Similar issues can be found with other brand brushed 1/10 4x4 ones the that are built to run faster than crawler speed. The problem with the Mega line can be the drive line if deciding to go brushless. Brushless doesn't have to be a crazy increase in speed and power just most want the increase in speed and power when going brushless.

It's up to you how much money and/or time your wanting to invest to make the Mega Senton power plant more reliable or faster.

Thanks for the info. Now I don't know if it is overheating actually. I've only taken it out a few times, and I just took it out again with both batteries (First time running both batteries back to back). I just assumed it was overheating because it cut out and was flashing. But it was when it was low battery because the speed was dropping at that point, and I thought only Lipo cut out when low, I thought nimh would just keep getting slower and slower until dead, but I guess it does have some sort of low power cut off when it gets low for nimh also? Anyway, when I swapped the battery after that it ran fine again for the whole run of that battery and did the same getting slow then cut out with the flashing (Steering still responsive to turn back and forth, just no throttle working).

I thought nimh would just keep getting slower and slower until dead, but I guess it does have some sort of low power cut off when it gets low for nimh also?.

Hi,
Under 8-10% of LIPO batterie charge, the red light will be blinking and the cut off will happen. A Lipo should never go at 0% of charge because she will be damaged/fry.
But, for the Nimh (from what we saw last year), the charge will go nearly the 0% and like you said, the truck will go slower and slower until dead (and give a abrasive end of session, especially on the track)
So, on the track, last year, in order, kids used;

1-Nimh 9,6V (take a break)
2-Lipo 7,4V (take a break)
3-Nimh stock, 8,4V (end of track session)

We did that for months with the brushed Sentons and no problems at all… :) Now, I did 5 weeks of 3s and the motor is now fry with a lot of blinking. I don't care because my son Senton will be brushless in a couple of days. (still waiting for the parts… :( )
Suggestion? Have both batterie (9,6V for tests and Lipo for regular runs)
PL
note; you can do/have custom 9,6V Nimh;

Our Venom 9,6V is already dead. Lipo still alive…

Last edited:
You won't get a long run time on 2400mah battery. If you get more run time with the 5000mah it's not overheating. If you get the same run time on the 2400mah as the 5000mah it could be overheating. So longer run time with the 5000mah truck slows down you are ok no problem then. I thought you had a problem with short run times with power still left in the battery. It's not a good idea to run a even a nimh battery super low it just can be run lower than a lipo. It sounds like your fine and no problem then.

Lipos do give more speed and a longer run time. And as to running flat out you will find it gets hot before the battery slows down. Just let it cool the finish the battery. Nimh batteries if ran all the way down can recover to charge. Lipos, if you run till completely dead you may not have enough to recover the battery. When it slows, bring it to you, let lipo cool then charge again if using again. Best to have 2 batteries so when it cools off you can run another battery pack instead of waiting for the one you have to charge back up. If you get a lipo, make sure to get a fireproof charging bag and an old ammo box or metal toolbox just for the batteries.

Lipos do give more speed and a longer run time. And as to running flat out you will find it gets hot before the battery slows down. Just let it cool the finish the battery. Nimh batteries if ran all the way down can recover to charge. Lipos, if you run till completely dead you may not have enough to recover the battery. When it slows, bring it to you, let lipo cool then charge again if using again. Best to have 2 batteries so when it cools off you can run another battery pack instead of waiting for the one you have to charge back up. If you get a lipo, make sure to get a fireproof charging bag and an old ammo box or metal toolbox just for the batteries.
This is an old thread, but I did end up getting a few 2S batteries to try it out. With the brushed motor in the Senton 4x4 mega, it's not faster with the 2S. The 8.4v nimhs are a bit faster. And the 9.6v is even faster still. Here is that video that shows the comparison between the 2s 7.4v lipo and the 8.4v nimh.

Also I found the run times comparable with 2s 5000 mah and the 8.4v/9.6v 5000 mahs. The only thing really nice about the 2s is the charging. I always find my nimhs don't hold a charge well, and are finicky with the charger I have, like if I charge to fast it cuts off early thinking it's done but not, so I have to charge them slow.

This is an old thread, but I did end up getting a few 2S batteries to try it out. With the brushed motor in the Senton 4x4 mega, it's not faster with the 2S. The 8.4v nimhs are a bit faster. And the 9.6v is even faster still. Here is that video that shows the comparison between the 2s 7.4v lipo and the 8.4v nimh.

Also I found the run times comparable with 2s 5000 mah and the 8.4v/9.6v 5000 mahs. The only thing really nice about the 2s is the charging. I always find my nimhs don't hold a charge well, and are finicky with the charger I have, like if I charge to fast it cuts off early thinking it's done but not, so I have to charge them slow.
My bad. Lol. Was late on that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back