Mojave A-Main does a direct comparison of the 6S Mojave and Fireteam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trust and appreciate Amain critiques over Horsemouths any day.👍
Ultimately, A-Main wants you to buy it from them, so I think of it as more informational than critical. Still, they do some good work. Their first run video for the new Kraton and Outcast 4S was crazy.

They tear 'em up pretty good!

I like Amain because of their customer service. Replacements, chats on point and helpful, returns, and any service has never been an issue. I like that they are a BIG hobby store and not a RC brand. Their website keeps RC specs and links handy.

I do have the FT and how I drive mine, B. hit it on the head for me I totally agree with his review since I do not send this one to the moon and ground bash. It's well-balanced and most cases, like a cat lands on its feet. I did widen mine a bit per Rich D. video to have a little more stance....been great.

The Mojave I've never owned is just beautiful and the way it floats in the video over the grass and its response on the ground looks to be just killer....!

I like Amain because of their customer service. Replacements, chats on point and helpful, returns, and any service has never been an issue. I like that they are a BIG hobby store and not a RC brand. Their website keeps RC specs and links handy.

I do have the FT and how I drive mine, B. hit it on the head for me I totally agree with his review since I do not send this one to the moon and ground bash. It's well-balanced and most cases, like a cat lands on its feet. I did widen mine a bit per Rich D. video to have a little more stance....been great.

The Mojave I've never owned is just beautiful and the way it floats in the video over the grass and its response on the ground looks to be just killer....!
One of the things that always struck me about the Traxxas UDR, and I see it with the Mojave also: if you squint a little bit, you could easily convince yourself that it's a full-sized trophy truck. The way it lifts and squats under power and braking, the way the wheels react as it goes over rough terrain, it's really amazingly accurate.

One of the things that always struck me about the Traxxas UDR, and I see it with the Mojave also: if you squint a little bit, you could easily convince yourself that it's a full-sized trophy truck. The way it lifts and squats under power and braking, the way the wheels react as it goes over rough terrain, it's really amazingly accurate.

Suspension gets me all tickled. Some think I'm crazy with some of the setup's I use but all I'm trying to do most of the time is try to get the most suspension action I can. :LOL:

I actually bought a body from Amain and tossed it in the closet and months later I pull it out ready to cut and paint it. Open up the plastic and NO GAWD DAMN WING IS IN THE BAG!!! can't believe they sent me a body without a wing. I'm hoping they make it right lol. I bought it in April so it's been a while.

He said in the video that the handling of the Mojave is a Plus. Exactly what it is. The Mojave gives a very unique driving experience. Very direct control, more than other Arrma bashers. And flat jumps are one of the strengths of the Mojave.

Stumbled across the following video in order to find out how to set up the awful stock suspension of my new Super Baja Rey 2.0 . Also found interesting the 25 inch shock travel in front and 36 inch shock travel in the rear in a Ken Block Desert Racer. Actually helps looking at these videos to improve RC setup. Especially during cashes when you can see the position of the rear shocks. Also liked how the full size cars don't donkey kick after a small obstacle. "Funny" thing ist the real cars roll over just as the RC Desert Racers do. The Mojave actually does not flip over when the full size counterparts do. (y)

Last edited:

That's one of the things I really love about the UDR. The suspension action with the scale trailing arms and live rear axle. The independent suspension of the Mojave kills the illusion for me a little bit, though it is surely a very capable vehicle in its own right. But when it comes to scale appearances, the UDR does it best imho.
Suspension gets me all tickled. Some think I'm crazy with some of the setup's I use but all I'm trying to do most of the time is try to get the most suspension action I can. :LOL:
lol, yeah. Part of me wants to get a UDR just so I can put these bad boys on there. I mean, I've wanted a UDR ever since I first saw it. For a short while the Losi SBR 2.0 was the favorite because it was a little bigger but, by comparison, it came across as rather top heavy and prone to tumbles compared to the UDR.
1665996399322.png

Don't these things just look incredible and make you want to buy them...even if you don't need them? :LOL:

I think it's worthwhile to remember that there is nothing comparable to a Talion or Kraton in full size. The tires of a full size Kraton Desert Racer would be about 1/2 to 2/3 of a monster truck tire. At speeds of 100mph they would balloon. Ok, passenger aeroplanes have those size tires and they handle landing speeds. But changing a tire like that with a two man team on the road is simply impossible.

So basically the suspension of a desert truck is designed to absorb impact on a pretty straight road at relatively high speeds. That rear suspension is an unsuitable / unfavorable design for tight corners. And tight corners are not the typical terrain for a desert racer truck. That suspension is perfect to even out bumps at high speeds. It is the best suspension there is to absorb bumps at high speeds on a pretty straight track.

So that is exactly what we can expect in a RC car too. But at the end of an rc stretch there is a turn to come back. And in that turn we experience the full downside of the scale suspension.

We can not expect an rc desert truck suspension to do the same in a tight turn as a Kraton or Talion suspension does.

The only thing we can do is to minimize the rolling over in those corners - without loosing too much suspension. Arrma built a traditional suspension setup for the Mojave. Works great. But misses the eye candy rear axle factor in jumps. It is what it is. Just hope they really know what suspension they want to use in a hopfully soon coming Mojave 1/5. 🤪 With all that weight I really don't want to roll over easily.

• I massively reduced the rolling over in the Super Baja Rey 2.0 by using stronger springs on the front shocks. Is a game changer.
https://schwaben-tec.de/product_info.php?products_id=22

• 500k oil in rear diff
Here is a video where he shows what the SBR can do after some suspension tuning. At 3min, 20sec,and 4min,40sec the turn is pretty close to what the Mojave can do. 1min 20 sec drifting on grass! Now the SBR actually drifts around with the rear which it does not with a stock setup. He works very analytically. Don't expect the typical show.

• And by using one hole further back on the trailing arms for the rear shock on the SBR 2.0. Alone that is a game changer too.
  • 16T pinion instead of stock 19T gives also it the extra "umpf".

Yes, those cool shocks with oil reservoir would probably be a must in a Mojave 1/5 with trailing suspension. Hope that would be stock.

Last edited:
I think it's worthwhile to remember that there is nothing comparable to a Talion or Kraton in full size. The tires of a full size Kraton Desert Racer would be about 1/2 to 2/3 of a monster truck tire. At speeds of 100mph they would balloon. Ok, passenger aeroplanes have those size tires and they handle landing speeds. But changing a tire like that with a two man team on the road is simply impossible.

So basically the suspension of a desert truck is designed to absorb impact on a pretty straight road at relatively high speeds. That rear suspension is an unsuitable / unfavorable design for tight corners. And tight corners are not the typical terrain for a desert racer truck. That suspension is perfect to even out bumps at high speeds. It is the best suspension there is to absorb bumps at high speeds on a pretty straight track.

So that is exactly what we can expect in a RC car too. But at the end of an rc stretch there is a turn to come back. And in that turn we experience the full downside of the scale suspension.

We can not expect an rc desert truck suspension to do the same in a tight turn as a Kraton or Talion suspension does.

The only thing we can do is to minimize the rolling over in those corners - without loosing too much suspension. Arrma built a traditional suspension setup for the Mojave. Works great. But misses the eye candy rear axle factor in jumps. It is what it is. Just hope they really know what suspension they want to use in a hopfully soon coming Mojave 1/5. 🤪 With all that weight I really don't want to roll over easily.

• I massively reduced the rolling over in the Super Baja Rey 2.0 by using stronger springs on the front shocks. Is a game changer.
https://schwaben-tec.de/product_info.php?products_id=22

Here is a video where he shows what the SBR can do after some suspension tuning. At 3min, 20sec,and 4min,40sec the turn is pretty close to what the Mojave can do. 1min 20 sec drifting on grass! Now the SBR actually drifts around with the rear which it does not with a stock setup. He works very analytically. Don't expect the typical show.

• And by using one hole further back on the trailing arms for the rear shock on the SBR 2.0. Alone that is a game changer too.
  • 16T pinion instead of stock 19T gives also it the extra "umpf".

Yes, those cool shocks with oil reservoir would probably be a must in a Mojave 1/5 with trailing suspension. Hope that would be stock.
Tires are only one small part of what makes an RC FAR from just a mini version of a 1.1
Power to weight and weight its self.
If a 1.1 truck had the same type of power racing would be illegal due to safety concerns.:eek::poop::oops::LOL:

For me, being it's and RC, Imagination (and slo-mo vids) are some parts of what makes it all enjoyable.

I am greatful that our rc's outperform the 1:1 vehicles they're modeled after..an 18mph Mojave doesn't sound very exciting at all to me,LOL.
I also agree with @Diem Turner ,the UDR looks the best, too bad it's a TRX, no thanks. Losi not for me either,too frail and expensive.
I agree the solid rear axle looks the most realistic, unfortunately it performs the most realistically too, which is why a 60mph UDR just isn't a thing like a 60mph Mojave is. Doable, just not usable.
Desert trucks are just so frickin cool!!!

The independent suspension of the Mojave kills the illusion for me a little bit, though it is surely a very capable vehicle in its own right. But when it comes to scale appearances, the UDR does it best imho.
That’s what nearly got me buying a UDR. In scale and suspension the UDR beats the Mojave, but the durability and especially wrenchability🤔 got me into getting the Mojave. No regrets there.
Everytime I see a UDR though I just have to make and feel its’ nice bounciness🤣.
ice cube bounce GIF

I am greatful that our rc's outperform the 1:1 vehicles they're modeled after..an 18mph Mojave doesn't sound very exciting at all to me,LOL.
I also agree with @Diem Turner ,the UDR looks the best, too bad it's a TRX, no thanks. Losi not for me either,too frail and expensive.
I agree the solid rear axle looks the most realistic, unfortunately it performs the most realistically too, which is why a 60mph UDR just isn't a thing like a 60mph Mojave is. Doable, just not usable.
Desert trucks are just so frickin cool!!!
agreed.
I though, being a Losi fan, would be interested in the SBR and probably shelf queen it...with a little run time here and there:)

Agreed, wasn't trying to be disrespectful.. TRX and Losi have both earned their places in the industry. I own rc's from both, and enjoy each. Well, honestly the Losi's in my collection don't get much use, 2 are extinct and the other just hasn't gotten my attention like I expected.

Agreed, wasn't trying to be disrespectful.. TRX and Losi have both earned their places in the industry. I own rc's from both, and enjoy each. Well, honestly the Losi's in my collection don't get much use, 2 are extinct and the other just hasn't gotten my attention like I expected.
No disrespect taken. Though I'm a fan, I'll be the 1st to say that some Losi rigs aren't made for serious bashing....unless of course you like carnage and a bunch of parts no pieces of an RC rig. :LOL:

Yeah, I hear ya. Instead of an Elf on a shelf, I have a 'Nut on a shelf,LOL 😜🤣🤣
It's super cool, and actually drives pretty well..just too fragile for my liking.
My extinct species are Losi GTX nitro stadium trucks..back then, my brother bought the RC10GT, all I can say for sure is I definitely went through more parts than he did..nowadays it's the other way around..he's a TRX guy🤣🤣

Tires are only one small part of what makes an RC FAR from just a mini version of a 1.1
Power to weight and weight its self.
If a 1.1 truck had the same type of power racing would be illegal due to safety concerns.:eek::poop::oops::LOL:

For me, being it's and RC, Imagination (and slo-mo vids) are some parts of what makes it all enjoyable.
That's an interesting point. A number of RC cars are beyond the already stratospheric performance of something like the Koenigsegg 1 to 1 (1 bhp/kg). If you were to scale up the 204mph WR run of James Mccoy, you're talking about a ground speed of 1428mph. That's pretty mental.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back