A Tale of Three Batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adiabatic

Doing it myself and doing myself in
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
In an effort to better understand the apparent differences in capacity I have observed between similarly rated batteries, I pulled a 1.5-2C discharge on three of them, recording the voltage and current at 30 second intervals, then computed and plotted discharge curves. The result is elucidating:

lipo_voltage_mah_discharge.png

Under heavier loads of 100-150A that we commonly see in R/C cars, the voltage will drop much more quickly than shown here mainly due to internal resistance of the cells, which in my case typically leads to the ESC's LVC triggering at about the equivalent of 3.6V/cell in the above chart for both my Kraton and Vorteks with stock electronics. The big Zeee and the much derided Spektrum battery have discharge curves similar to what I assume the engineers who programmed the LVC settings were working with, as the behaviour is almost perfectly optimised. It uses up nearly all the energy and then cuts off just before the voltage takes a dive to prevent damage to the cells. Notice however that the small Zeee has only used about half of its rated mAh capacity by the time it reaches the expected cutoff voltage. This explains why the Spektrum close to doubles my run time in the Vorteks!

Also noteworthy is that all batteries in the test were able to supply their rated mAh capacity at a 1.5-2C discharge. I suspected Zeee might be stretching the truth with their rating of the small one, but I was wrong. It will in fact supply 6000mAh, but the shape of the curve is far less than ideal for R/C use, and you can only get a fraction of the energy out safely when accounting for voltage drop through the cells at high current. This also makes me wonder: Is there really an LVC issue with the Vorteks as many have discussed, or is it a case of people trying to use batteries with poor discharge curves? In my case it's the latter; my galaxy brain fell for internet wisdom that compelled me to buy 'just as good' batteries for half the cost, but it turns out they're not just as good and in fact led to frustration and wasted time. Oh well, at least they gave me an excuse to draw charts, my favourite pastime after R/Cing, [redacted], [redacted], and [redacted].

Verdict: Size matters, but only if you can use it, and maybe it's not lied about as much as we think.

How well the cells are matched is also a consideration. It only takes that one unmatched cell to dump ahead of the rest, then LVC is triggered... when in reality, usable capacity remaining is still there technically speaking.
Good analysis there.(y)

How well the cells are matched is also a consideration. It only takes that one unmatched cell to dump ahead of the rest, then LVC is triggered... when in reality, usable capacity remaining is still there technically speaking.
Good analysis there.(y)
I have had this problem with CNHL & Turnigy Graphine Panthers . I also have batteries of the same brand that have performed flawlessly.

And I agree. The first Spektrum battery I bought, 5000mah 100c 3s was a desperation purchase for my crawler. It worked well yet self discharged to zero twice before becoming a warranty claim. The second has been problem free and lasts longer than the pair of 5200mah 80c 3s Zee's I got afterwards. But I just noticed a huge difference when I restored original motor and esc to my 3s Senton. The Spektrum is almost 22kmh faster and lasts 9/10 minutes of constant "lot zipping" to the Zee's 6-9minutes. I was puzzled by that(I've never lvc'd as I stop and switch up at 10.8-11v).

Lol elucidating. Nice.

Different battery chemistries and designs can offer power differently. A battery under load see a dip or sag in voltage. How low that dip goes depends on the load you put on it (and frequently it returns to a higher level after you remove the load). Higher quality batteries that can sustain higher amperage have less voltage sag than a poor quality battery under the same load. That's the reason higher quality (or higher C ratings) are faster, under the same load as a poor quality battery, they achieve a higher voltage and therefore spin the motor faster. When speed running, you may spend top dollar to get a battery that can sustain high amperage to minimize your voltage sags because you're really pushing the power giving capabilities of a battery.

In an effort to better understand the apparent differences in capacity I have observed between similarly rated batteries, I pulled a 1.5-2C discharge on three of them, recording the voltage and current at 30 second intervals, then computed and plotted discharge curves. The result is elucidating:

View attachment 221362

Under heavier loads of 100-150A that we commonly see in R/C cars, the voltage will drop much more quickly than shown here mainly due to internal resistance of the cells, which in my case typically leads to the ESC's LVC triggering at about the equivalent of 3.6V/cell in the above chart for both my Kraton and Vorteks with stock electronics. The big Zeee and the much derided Spektrum battery have discharge curves similar to what I assume the engineers who programmed the LVC settings were working with, as the behaviour is almost perfectly optimised. It uses up nearly all the energy and then cuts off just before the voltage takes a dive to prevent damage to the cells. Notice however that the small Zeee has only used about half of its rated mAh capacity by the time it reaches the expected cutoff voltage. This explains why the Spektrum close to doubles my run time in the Vorteks!

Also noteworthy is that all batteries in the test were able to supply their rated mAh capacity at a 1.5-2C discharge. I suspected Zeee might be stretching the truth with their rating of the small one, but I was wrong. It will in fact supply 6000mAh, but the shape of the curve is far less than ideal for R/C use, and you can only get a fraction of the energy out safely when accounting for voltage drop through the cells at high current. This also makes me wonder: Is there really an LVC issue with the Vorteks as many have discussed, or is it a case of people trying to use batteries with poor discharge curves? In my case it's the latter; my galaxy brain fell for internet wisdom that compelled me to buy 'just as good' batteries for half the cost, but it turns out they're not just as good and in fact led to frustration and wasted time. Oh well, at least they gave me an excuse to draw charts, my favourite pastime after R/Cing, [redacted], [redacted], and [redacted].

Verdict: Size matters, but only if you can use it, and maybe it's not lied about as much as we think.
You're back!!! Good to see you good sir đź––

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back