A Tale of Two Buggies - Charles Dickens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinRush_C1

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
The novel tells the story of a Typhon 6S BLX that was sent all the way to Japan. Weeks later, a buggy would arrive ( Team Associated Reflex 14B ) that turns out to be a brother from another mother. This story is set against the conditions that are set by local hobby shops here in Japan, that don’t welcome 1/8 scale RCs.

Hey guys, it’s here! My 2nd “JR” rig is a Team Associated Reflex 14B. It is so small, so cute, so adorable that I can hold it to my chest. I had to get something that the local hobby shops can’t say “NO” to. I’m not going there to race, I’m going there to have fun and join this new community.

It was this or the 144001 WLToys 1/14. I will admit that the 144001 is on “fire” right now. I’ve heard that 550 motor is a major selling point. It’s got plenty of metal parts as well. I’m not sold though. Most of you know, I’m relatively new to this RC thing. An old man trying to get into something new. I had to quickly learn about all the different companies and various RC vehicles that are out there. Then I found this Reflex 14B!

82B3D709-8642-4F87-AD10-92CFF821E2E6.png
32AFF5E6-61E9-49B6-B2C8-10DBC0523D9E.png

I can’t begin to tell you how to hard it is not to instantly fall in love with this thing. It’s a very different feeling than when I received my Typhon 6S. When I received my Typhon 6S, I was like “This is BOSS ASF”. Pure BEAST! My first bash had people stopping in their tracks. They just wanted to see it run.

Unboxing my Reflex 14B felt like a crane had flown by my home and dropped it off at my door. That’s the only way I can describe that feeling. This is my 2nd son. He’s never going to be as strong as his big brother, but that’s alright though. If anybody picks on you, your Arrma brother is going to rip their little off-road track to shreds. I never had a big brother so I’m not sure what it feels like when they come to the rescue, but I can only imagine.

Check out the difference in size. I swear the Typhon 6S almost has enough clearance to drive over it.
60DEA3A0-3FCD-40B0-9225-ACFE6572CEC3.jpeg
A732F00B-2F86-48D2-A562-ED43BF920495.jpeg
It’s unreal.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:
The Good: It’s small, it’s cute, it comes with a charger and a battery. Staff at Team Associated contacted me directly and made sure I could get additional Lipos for it. It’s going to fit in anywhere I take it. It’s a great 2nd rig for when you have friends over. I’m Thor, You are Capt. “No, you take the little one”.

The Bad: It looks fragile. It’s got some plastic parts that I may or may not be able to upgrade. It sits kind of high in front. Needs some tuning.

The Ugly: The price tag for this thing is way more than the 144001. Cheap doesn’t always mean better, but 144001 is trending on YouTube and it appears to be the real deal.

In summary, the Reflex 14B will be my daily. My Typhon 6S is for when I have over 500meters of open space and whole day to myself. I’m making my RC purchases based on lifestyle. I could go for a quick bash with my Reflex 14B, not offend, and be back in an hour. My Typhon 6S is BIG fun and not always accepted in parks or certain LHS tracks due to it’s size. It’s awesome to have such an amazing rig, but it looks like it may sit like the Ferrari 250 GT in the Cameron’s garage ( Ferris Bueller’s Day Off ).

This is the new family member!

Last edited:
The novel tells the story of a Typhon 6S BLX that was sent all the way to Japan. Weeks later, a buggy would arrive ( Team Associated Reflex 14B ) that turns out to be a brother from another mother. This story is set against the conditions that are set by local hobby shops here in Japan, that don’t welcome 1/8 scale RCs.

Hey guys, it’s here! My 2nd “JR” rig is a Team Associated Reflex 14B. It is so small, so cute, so adorable that I can hold it to my chest. I had to get something that the local hobby shops can’t say “NO” to. I’m not going there to race, I’m going there to have fun and join this new community.

It was this or the 144001 WLToys 1/14. I will admit that the 144001 is on “fire” right now. I’ve heard that 550 motor is a major selling point. It’s got plenty of metal parts as well. I’m not sold though. Most of you know, I’m relatively new to this RC thing. An old man trying to get into something new. I had to quickly learn about all the different companies and various RC vehicles that are out there. Then I found this Reflex 14B!

View attachment 60802View attachment 60803

I can’t begin how to hard it is not to instantly fall in love with this thing. It’s a very different feeling than when I received my Typhon 6S. When I received my Typhon 6S, I was like “This is BOSS ASF”. Pure BEAST! My first bash had people stopping in their tracks. They just wanted to see it run.

Unboxing my Reflex 14B felt like a crane had flown by my home and dropped it off at my door. That’s the only way I can describe that feeling. This is my 2nd son. He’s never going to be as strong as his big brother, but that’s alright though. If anybody picks on you, your Arrma brother is going to rip their little off-road track to shreds. I never had a big brother so I’m not sure what it feels like when they come to the rescue, but I can only imagine.

Check out the difference in size. I swear the Typhon 6S almost has enough clearance to drive over it. View attachment 60801View attachment 60800 It’s unreal.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:
The Good: It’s small, it’s cute, it comes with a charger and a battery. Staff at Team Associated contacted me directly and made sure I could get additional Lipos for it. It’s going to fit in anywhere I take it. It’s a great 2nd rig for when you have friends over. I’m Thor, You are Capt. “No, you take the little one”.

The Bad: It looks fragile. It’s got some plastic parts that I may or may not be able to upgrade. It sits kind of high in front. Needs some tuning.

The Ugly: The price tag for this thing is way more than the 144001. Cheap doesn’t always mean better, but 144001 is trending on YouTube and it appears to be the real deal.

In summary, the Reflex 14B will be my daily. My Typhon 6S is for when I have over 500meters of open space and whole day to myself. I’m making my RC purchases based on lifestyle. I could go for a quick bash with my Reflex 14B, not offend, and be back in an hour. My Typhon 6S is BIG fun and not always accepted in parks or certain LHS tracks due to it’s size. It’s awesome to have such an amazing rig, but it looks like it may sit like the Ferrari 250 GT in the Cameron’s garage ( Ferris Bueller’s Day Off ).

This is the new family member!
I ran assure that you went with the right choice with the Team Associated over the WL Toys. The Team Associated car is actually pretty decent rctech has a thread about them loads of info here https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/1026709-associated-reflex-14b-14t.html

The WL Toys is rather meh, just sitting it next to my LC Racing buggy I can tell a lot of corners were cut when they made theirs and that the LC Racing car is well worth the price over the WL Toys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back