Infraction A warning to everyone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IC5/EC5 is not a manufacturer specific connector like traxxas. All lipo manufacturers use EC5 connector. No need to buy spektrum lipo’s.
Unless you want to utilize the smart technology, of course....... which some of the guys do and a lot of us don't
I've got at least $2k in Spektrum gear, and hate to walk away, but their lack of support for products once they have been "replaced" with updated versions of the same hardware (for example, no "smart" telemetry firmware update for "old" telemetry transmitters, last year's flagship can't run this year's receivers), crappy servos, and ESCs with settings disabled (ahem, LVC) all has me fed up.

I'll stay with Arrma as long as they keep replacement parts in stock and don't jack their prices. So far they're failing at one of two.
This is a hobby that can soak up quite a bit of money as it is, and I'm not talking smack about those who choose to go into the spectrum family of products and electronics but they are additionally expensive for what you get in my opinion. I agree 100% about supporting those who invested into their equipment in the past years to keep it usable and functional. If they aren't willing to do that I can't say it will help the reviews of customers. I appreciate your input, makes me glad that I didn't take that route when I started in the hobby.

Last edited:
Unless you want to utilize the smart technology, of course....... which some of the guys do and a lot of us don't

This is a hobby that can soak up quite a bit of money as it is, and I'm not talking smack about those who choose to go into the spectrum family of products and electronics but they are additionally expensive for what you get in my opinion. I agree 100% about supporting those who invested into their equipment in the past years to keep it usable and functional. If they aren't willing to do that I can't say it will help the reviews of customers. I appreciate your input, makes me glad that I didn't take that route when I started in the hobby.
Glad I didn’t buy a bunch of smart batteries and the charger. I haven’t had to solder new connectors on any stock ESC’s, but change most of my batteries to EC5’s. Gonna use XT150’s on my new castle system!🤷🏻‍♂️

Battery connector adapters are a meltdown waiting to happen. One weak joint or connection in the assembly (which was made by Chinese slave children in a dimly lit HobbyKing factory basement) is all it takes to kill ampacity and produce lots of heat at 150 amps. I think having the right wiring setup beats voiding the warranty. I'm fixing to void the warranty on a Firma 150 by soldering on superior 5.5mm bullet connectors in place of the factory 4mm connectors to support the max potential of a TP 4050 motor. Seems like a good idea to me. Spektrum sees that as trying to splice a connector onto a Surface charger to charge an iPhone. I say Funk Dat!

Battery connector adapters are a meltdown waiting to happen. One weak joint or connection in the assembly (which was made by Chinese slave children in a dimly lit HobbyKing factory basement) is all it takes to kill ampacity and produce lots of heat at 150 amps. I think having the right wiring setup beats voiding the warranty. I'm fixing to void the warranty on a Firma 150 by soldering on superior 5.5mm bullet connectors in place of the factory 4mm connectors to support the max potential of a TP 4050 motor. Seems like a good idea to me. Spektrum sees that as trying to splice a connector onto a Surface charger to charge an iPhone. I say Funk Dat!
I agree about the adapters, the only one I use them on is my Traxxas trx4. Other than that, I don't use adapters but that's my way of telling Traxxas to kiss off for their propriety.
Agree about the safety factor....may very well replace the stock esc with HW 1080 and go ec5.......

You are correct, I wouldn't just suggest adapters for everybody on everything

THANK YOU FOR THE B&B !!!!! :25 to 1:10 is just classic..... I have watched them since day 1 ...... haven't seen this b4..... :)

Jumping in on the adapters....I Used deans to ec5 and they got super super hot and the solder melted off and disconnected lol No more adapters!!

Jumping in on the adapters....I Used deans to ec5 and they got super super hot and the solder melted off and disconnected lol No more adapters!!
That isn't necessarily the adapters and rather just the fact that deans (and Traxxas, which are just deans with the tabs parallel) aren't rated to the current even the 3S cars pull

That isn't necessarily the adapters and rather just the fact that deans (and Traxxas, which are just deans with the tabs parallel) aren't rated to the current even the 3S cars pull
Doesn't the Xmaxx come with TRX connectors?

I use adapter for my crawler....for less than the cost one traxxsuk battery, I can get a better esc and use the batteries I already have....adaptors are a temporary fix at best, yes it has potential risks, and its not a real fix.....

So back to where I initially suggested an adaptor...how about this..... solder on a good connector or take it to LHS and ask them to....$5 usually +/-

I use adapter for my crawler....for less than the cost one traxxsuk battery, I can get a better esc and use the batteries I already have....adaptors are a temporary fix at best, yes it has potential risks, and its not a real fix.....

So back to where I initially suggested an adaptor...how about this..... solder on a good connector or take it to LHS and ask them to....$5 usually +/-
If you manage to melt an adapter in a crawler I would seriously be amazed, most if not all stock electronics in rtr crawlers will never even touch the amp draw required to get them warm.

Yep. Adapters are only good for low current applications like crawlers. The cost to get out of a proprietary system like Traxxas or Gen 2 smart is super low. 50 pack of good connectors, and a few charge adapters is going to be cheaper than a new proprietary battery. The only real investment is time.

If you manage to melt an adapter in a crawler I would seriously be amazed, most if not all stock electronics in rtr crawlers will never even touch the amp draw required to get them warm.
I agree I'm not that worried about it but they're also stories about people melting the connectors so I agree with them and I agree with myself

I totally agree about the adapters, i wouldn't trust them either despite the fact I've been soldering for decades.

So in a nutshell they have screwed us.

I had a castle sv3 arrive last week for my 4tec 2.0, guess what? It didn't have connectors but it still has a warranty. The last sv3 lasted 10 years in different rcs. Total quality.

It seems that our beloved arrma are not what they were and with their new rise to the top they are pissing on the people that put them there.

I think its petty with the connectors voiding warranties but I view all stock electronics as disposable. I bash em until their dead and then replace them with something from a quality manufacturer. Either that or I buy a lot of kits too

Disposable, no- durable, yes. I buy parts and fix/upgrade them so that at the end of a day of bashing I have money left over for tacos.
I meant the stock electronics are disposable cuz they arent very good typically, not the kits. That being said Ill take the spektrum stock electronics over the traxxas ones any day

Adaptors aren't ideal at all. Luckily it just is not difficult to find batteries in the plug type you need. It sucks if you have rigs with different plugs, but complaining that a company won't warranty a part after the removal and replacement of a high amp wire plug that, if done wrong, could easily result in the death of the component seems unreasonable.

Remember Spektrum stuff at least comes with EC5. I wouldn't say any of this about proprietary plugs like Traxxas. Voiding a warranty or forcing you to buy a proprietary battery would be far more ridiculous.

I would argue about traxxas electronics, yes the vxl esc is crap but the motors are bomb proof, also, the bigger escs are rebranded castle escs, id trust castle any day over spektrum.

I know that someone is going to say that spektrum rebrand hobbywing but somehow they even get that wrong when you compare the firma reputation to the max 6.

As stated, if i do ever buy another arrma it will be exb without the electronics.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back