Granite About to buy a Granite BLX on Amazon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C rating is all good, higher the better. But 8000 mah in a 3s truck is a bit much IMO. First is the extra weight but not a really big thing, you would get real good runtime. But second, at the same time may run into heat issues before you deplete that big lipo especially if it's hot outside.

I would suggest getting two 5400 mah lipos instead, you could run one to LVC, let the truck cool down a bit and run the second. Zeee makes 5400 3s packs and could save a few bucks there.
I just placed the order last night. But honestly, I'm curious to run them. A lot of people say they run great in their 3s Arrma's. Also, the ESC should go into thermal shutdown before sustaining internal damage. This is my first hobby grade RC, and I'm willing to take a chance and have something break. I'll be making a post when I get everything set up.

I just placed the order last night. But honestly, I'm curious to run them. A lot of people say they run great in their 3s Arrma's. Also, the ESC should go into thermal shutdown before sustaining internal damage. This is my first hobby grade RC, and I'm willing to take a chance and have something break. I'll be making a post when I get everything set up.
Is using a protection feature like thermal shut down on a regular basis a bad thing? I’m curious, because it seems to me protection things like fuses, gfi, therm protect, (condoms being the only exception) etc. should not be used routinely as it causes stress on the system? Am I thinking totally wrong here?

Curious how this applies to thermal shut down on an ESC. I’m very careful to not let my cars shut down like that. I know how long to drive it and then rest it and use a temp gun often. Wondering if I’m wasting my time and should just drive it till it shuts down 🤣

Is using a protection feature like thermal shut down on a regular basis a bad thing? I’m curious, because it seems to me protection things like fuses, gfi, therm protect, (condoms being the only exception) etc. should not be used routinely as it causes stress on the system? Am I thinking totally wrong here?

Curious how this applies to thermal shut down on an ESC. I’m very careful to not let my cars shut down like that. I know how long to drive it and then rest it and use a temp gun often. Wondering if I’m wasting my time and should just drive it till it shuts down 🤣
I'm not relying on it. But I would like to push the car with this setup to find its limits. I'll be using a temp gun to check temps on the first few runs. I will post my findings.

I'm not relying on it. But I would like to push the car with this setup to find its limits. I'll be using a temp gun to check temps on the first few runs. I will post my findings.
Cool, I’m just curious and learning.

I would ditch the warranty, dirt guard, USB cables, get good charger and smaller lipos in the 5000-5400 mah range. Pick up a good set of hex drivers such as MIP for starters.
why would u ditch the dirt guard?
i was new to the hobby(and still am) and didn't know these exist! i still am a little unsure of what it does, but if it is what i think it is(running the truck with this on to prevent dirt get's inside the chassis) man that's would be really useful!
i have a granite and i'm really annoyed with the amount of dirt this thing pass inside the chassis! literally every guy with these 3s line up are having spurs getting stripped off cause of the sand or put on Velcro or tapes to protect the PM, some even Cut the Chassis itself to get rid of the dirt!!

i was thinking with myself to just cover the front and back of the chassis(where it's WIDE OPEN specially at the back!) to prevent small rocks getting inside!
things get inside real bad! and it's really frustrating!

so is the dirt guard what i think it is?!

I think the ESC will shut down before any damage is done. That said, I'm more worried about the motor since it doesn't have this feature.

The dirt guard is what you think it is. I've never used one cause while it keeps dirt out, it also keeps some heat in.

I think the ESC will shut down before any damage is done. That said, I'm more worried about the motor since it doesn't have this feature.

The dirt guard is what you think it is. I've never used one cause while it keeps dirt out, it also keeps some heat in.
yeah, the heat is probably gonna make some troubles
anyone used a dirt guard to share the experience? overheating too often or what?

i was new to the hobby(and still am) and didn't know these exist! i still am a little unsure of what it does, but if it is what i think it is(running the truck with this on to prevent dirt get's inside the chassis) man that's would be really useful!
i have a granite and i'm really annoyed with the amount of dirt this thing pass inside the chassis! literally every guy with these 3s line up are having spurs getting stripped off cause of the sand or put on Velcro or tapes to protect the PM, some even Cut the Chassis itself to get rid of the dirt!!

i was thinking with myself to just cover the front and back of the chassis(where it's WIDE OPEN specially at the back!) to prevent small rocks getting inside!

A dust guard is great. It doesn’t affect heat dissipation and it protects everything on the inside from contamination. You’ll still get Powder Dust but it’s better than all the crap that’s in there now. Here is how I keep the inside of my car clean. I get creative with Gorilla tape, close out the front gap, flexible side shields that don’t interfere with steering and make a flap for the bottom hole to keep rocks and crap from coming into the steering Area but also allow stuff to fall out.
I live in Central Texas where heat and dust are big issues. This works.
My granite is still brushed for the next month and has temperamental overheating issues. The dust cover does not interfere whatsoever with cooling (yes I use a thermal gun). It also protects my fans nicely from debris.

EB4C5768-77CC-44EA-9443-7227C21A3387.png

67871BE3-E37D-4EBA-9E88-614CEA5C2DC0.jpeg

2AF133A6-66B8-4029-A4CA-1251AA4828E2.jpeg

C9E7F92D-252C-4CC3-9D50-7356EA369AAD.jpeg

28901AC0-015C-40D3-AA27-BED452A21EAB.jpeg

Yeah it's to keep dirt out, by all means if you want one get it. I had one on my Kaiju from the factory and electronics get hot with it so I don't run it. Like you said, you can close off the power module or cut the bottom of the chassis, or do all three, it's your call.

A dust guard is great. It doesn’t affect heat dissipation and it protects everything on the inside from contamination. You’ll still get Powder Dust but it’s better than all the crap that’s in there now. Here is how I keep the inside of my car clean. I get creative with Gorilla tape, close out the front gap, flexible side shields that don’t interfere with steering and make a flap for the bottom hole to keep rocks and crap from coming into the steering Area but also allow stuff to fall out.
I live in Central Texas where heat and dust are big issues. This works.
My granite is still brushed for the next month and has temperamental overheating issues. The dust cover does not interfere whatsoever with cooling (yes I use a thermal gun). It also protects my fans nicely from debris.

View attachment 150071

View attachment 150072

View attachment 150073

View attachment 150074

View attachment 150075
nice
yes i did the exact same with the front gap! i should also do smth with the back! i really wonder why ARRMA put them wide open for a MT!
unfortunately i don't have access to a dirt guard to buy one so i'll probably start getting creative and put smth up to keep the dirt out, i'm thinking about some kind of 3d printed things maybe!
thanks for the pics and info
Yeah it's to keep dirt out, by all means if you want one get it. I had one on my Kaiju from the factory and electronics get hot with it so I don't run it. Like you said, you can close off the power module or cut the bottom of the chassis, or do all three, it's your call.
all i know is that i gotta do smth about it:ROFLMAO: don't know what, but keeping the dirt from going in would be over getting it out!
i mean i'll try to keeps things out rather then letting things go in and then do smth to get them out(or protect stuff)

I would suggest if you are able to hit up a local Hobby Store and explore your options there first. They are your trusted experts and it's important to keep the local guy in business, you never know when you may need him. I drive 70 miles to my store but that's me and I have a Daughter and grandchildren there so It's an easy trip for my wife and me. Also it's fun to go in and hang out and talk pick their brains some. Ive learned much and bought much from my store and I love it. Now that's if you haven't pulled the trigger and if you have a store around you, like I said I have a reason to drive to my store and they all love it when GaGa and Papa pull up to the house! Have fun with your new Granite. Stay off Amazon if you can-me talking.

A dust guard is great. It doesn’t affect heat dissipation
My experience has been different, as measured by my thermometer on multiple rigs.

Dirt guards are great for winter as they keep the snow out. But I won’t ever use one again in warm weather.

I would suggest if you are able to hit up a local Hobby Store and explore your options there first. They are your trusted experts and it's important to keep the local guy in business, you never know when you may need him. I drive 70 miles to my store but that's me and I have a Daughter and grandchildren there so It's an easy trip for my wife and me. Also it's fun to go in and hang out and talk pick their brains some. Ive learned much and bought much from my store and I love it. Now that's if you haven't pulled the trigger and if you have a store around you, like I said I have a reason to drive to my store and they all love it when GaGa and Papa pull up to the house! Have fun with your new Granite. Stay off Amazon if you can-me talking.
will do thanks

My experience has been different, as measured by my thermometer on multiple rigs.

Dirt guards are great for winter as they keep the snow out. But I won’t ever use one again in warm weather.
what happened?

Not everyone lives near a hobby shop. In my case, I do live near a strictly RC shop, they are hardly what I would call “customer friendly”. They charge full MSRP or more for everything; they add 3% extra for using a credit card; and all sales are final - no refunds or store credit. And they never seem to have the most common repair parts in stock. Amazon or Amain Hobbies have been my go-to places for RC vehicles and parts. Between the two of them I can get most everything I need at decent prices. Amain, in particular, has great customer service, and I regularly get discounts for points earned from purchases.

Not everyone lives near a hobby shop. In my case, I do live near a strictly RC shop, they are hardly what I would call “customer friendly”. They charge full MSRP or more for everything; they add 3% extra for using a credit card; and all sales are final - no refunds or store credit. And they never seem to have the most common repair parts in stock. Amazon or Amain Hobbies have been my go-to places for RC vehicles and parts. Between the two of them I can get most everything I need at decent prices. Amain, in particular, has great customer service, and I regularly get discounts for points earned from purchases.
Driving 75 miles is not local, like I said it's only easy because our oldest and her family are there. I must be lucky because Hobby Haven in Urbandale Iowa excels with there're service. Call me silly but I don't mind paying their prices for parts and my Trucks. They hooked me on Arrma over Traxxas and they weren't wrong in my opinion. I also can't soldier any more because of tremors, they put XT90 connectors on all my batteries and my RC's. Returns aren't an issue and They know me and welcome me when I come in. With the quality of people and the service they provide they are a top notch store. I'll gladly give them my money. No offense meant but not all stores are cold. How do they even stay in business with policies and service like that. Amazon can't answer a question or lookup a part. Yes they will be the death of all retail eventually but for now I'm good paying full retail on what I buy and hitting Amazon for non RC stuff. But that's me, your milage may vary.

The local RC ship stays in business because they are basically the only game in town. And they do have great repair service: I have had them do an occasional solder job for me when my soldering irons failed.

I agree that you can't ask Amazon a question, but answers to most any RC question can be found using a web search (YouTube is your friend for RC repairs and upgrades). Your local hobby shop will give you their opinion, but it may be clouded by the brands they sell. It's just human nature to recommend what you know best. You may get differing opinions online: to my mind, unless your purchase is for an inexpensive item, it pays to do thorough research and not rely on a single opinion for a purchase.

That’s cool… I just run mine in Texas heat. We’re only in the 90s now so once in the 100s it may be an issue. But up to the mid 90s all is fine (according to my thermo).

Ok guys, I took the truck out for its maiden run at my local soccer field. I was mostly doing up and back speed runs just to see how the car behaves. 10 minutes in, this:
0DE0432F-A457-4D4F-BFB6-0E7B527A7C6E.jpeg

Right rear axle. Is this something I can snap back into place or do I need a new part?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back