About to buy a Nero 6s and have a few questions....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfurious40k

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Senton 6s
Hey all,

I've been out of the radio control hobby for about 10 years. I never ran brushless motors or LiPo batteries when I raced or bashed so I'm in a steep learning curve as I'm trying to step back into the hobby.

I was all set to buy an E-Revo Brushless with some 2s 25c 5000mah packs but I joined the Tower Hobbies Super Saver Club yesterday because it was half price at $5 and today they sent me an offer for $50 off of the $699 Nero. With the current club coupons and the $50 off, I can get a Nero without Diff Brain for $550. That's a deal that's tough to beat because none of the coupons work on Traxxas products so the E-Revo will be $599.

The problem I'm running into is that none of the batteries on Tower have the XT90 connectors with anything less than 50c rating. The prices aren't awful on some of them but they are all 3s. I'd like to pick up one set of 2s and one set of 3s.

Here are my questions: What is the minimum "c" rating I need for packs for the Nero? Is it safe to use a Star or Dean's to XT90 adapter and will it negatively affect performance? Thanks for the help. I'm hoping to order today before they change the deal.

35c is min suggested ...or recommended...I run 30c just fine..i also have a 50c...both work fine....I have adapters to run from deans to xt90..and adapters to go from traxass to xt90....about 5 bucks each...they work fine....it all works dude...

rage 30c batteries work really well. ..I run them hard...no issues..44 bucks each...

hurry up and buy it...with or without diff brain...either is fine. ..enjoy...

Attachments

• 20160630_173736.jpg
    20160630_173736.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 33
I have onyx 5400mah 3s 50c with xt90 they are awesom... i also have some reaction 400mah3s 20c they also work fine but i do notice a drop in performance ... i also run 2 2s traxxas 5800mah and they work well for 4s... im looking to get rid of my traxxas batteries and chargers i recently bought a new charger, ive swapped my xmaxx to xt90 connectors as well. I have all sorts of afapters they work just fine. Smc or spc make great lipos with a good price. I prefer the higher c ratings... i ran my friends max amps 6000mah 3s 100c and holy cow they are awesom but not cheap, spend the money get smc or spc 50c or higher... can almost get 2 for price of one onyx battery... i know i will be getting a set soon...

Like Josh I bought some onyx 5400 50c Lipos 11.1 and have some TURNIGY 5500 40c 11.1 as backups. They give me about 1/2 hour if I take it ez. Put some dirt guards on it yesterday.

@Julian... did you get the arrma dirt guards or make your own... i have asked lhs to get some in for me, he got the arrma wheelie bar but i had already picked up the tbone wheelie bar... i did run my 3s traxxas batteries in kraton and nero the onyx seem to have more punch and last longer... but for 150 you can almost get 4 comparable smc or spc racing batteries... hopefully this coming week i will get a set to try out. I have not heard anythung bad about either brand...

If i was buying another i would buy non diff brain version... i have non version but lhs included free upgrade all i had to do was install it.... ran it without it and it was fun i would pull diffs tho and replace grease with 50k front 50k center and 100k rear.

@Julian... did you get the arrma dirt guards or make your own... i have asked lhs to get some in for me, he got the arrma wheelie bar but i had already picked up the tbone wheelie bar... i did run my 3s traxxas batteries in kraton and nero the onyx seem to have more punch and last longer... but for 150 you can almost get 4 comparable smc or spc racing batteries... hopefully this coming week i will get a set to try out. I have not heard anythung bad about either brand...

If i was buying another i would buy non diff brain version... i have non version but lhs included free upgrade all i had to do was install it.... ran it without it and it was fun i would pull diffs tho and replace grease with 50k front 50k center and 100k rear.
They are ARRMA dirt Gaurds. I bought two packs assuming there were two in each like a doofus. So I have an extra pack. Ughh. Tbone front bumper arrives tomorrow. I will throw that on and then install my servo and its complete.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 45
They are ARRMA dirt Gaurds. I bought two packs assuming there were two in each like a doofus. So I have an extra pack. Ughh. Tbone front bumper arrives tomorrow. I will throw that on and then install my servo and its complete.
They look great... hopefully lhs has mine soon... i have the tbone wheelie bar may i suggest you put a flat washer on rear most screw under the truck mine pulled throigh on the first run... i had same problem with fron bumper on the kraton... i have warranty replacements on the way and i called tbone and spoke with a gentelman about the issues i was having and he said they had a meeting with r&d about it that day and were looking for solutions i suggested they send washers with the bumpers and wheelie bars. I am getting front bumper for nero soon... what did you go with for a servo?

CYS 9120. 277/oz I had it for my other monster truck. I'm kind of torn between installing it or waiting until the stock one blows. I really just want to pull out the center stack !!

CYS 9120. 277/oz I had it for my other monster truck. I'm kind of torn between installing it or waiting until the stock one blows. I really just want to pull out the center stack !!
If your gonna pull center and you have locking diffs be sure to open reciver box and unplug the servo for it... and steering servo as welll... if your gonna pull it i suggest carefuly opening up case and pulling diff replace grease with 50k or so diff lube... i use 50k in the kraton and like it. I also pulled.front and rear rear got 100k front got filled with 3/4 50k and 1/4 100k.... same with kraton.

I ordered my Nero tonight. Couldn't beat the price with the Tower Super Saver $50 off and the $100 code. It was $550 with free shipping. After batteries, chargers and a few spare parts that I ordered along with it, I'll have enough e-cash to order the diff brain upgrade next week for free. I can't wait to try this truck out. My last RC monster truck was the original HPI nitro Savage.

in the words of the great Zapp Brannigan from Futurama...the snoo snoo episode where they are on the Amazon planet..."..baby it will blow your mind"...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back