About to pull trigger on a HW Max 8 and 4278 2250kv Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, it seems like it has similar specs, apparently the motor runs at 120 with that setup. I did buy it last night!

Should I consider a different motor than the 4278 2200kv HH? It might be under powered with the Kraton.

Should I consider a different motor than the 4278 2200kv HH? It might be under powered with the Kraton.
I think that question has already been answered in this thread. If you’re looking for more opinions then do a quick search to see what others are running.

In short, that system would do fine at stock speeds. If you want more power then you have to go bigger. 4082, 4092, 40107, 4985, 5687 are the typical size step ups in order. Bigger motors require bigger ESCs. If you want a big sensored motor then Castle is your only option.

So yea thanks, Im trying to cancel my order on my 4278 ( also realized the extra length for the senor system, arg). So its really a sensorless 4274.
I'm going to try to buy a Castle 1717.

So the 1717 is like the only choice if I want that power and sensored. I just don't want to bite the bullet and buy a Mamba 8x esc, 200 bucks. I was hoping to get away with the Max8 as I heard a lot of guys run that 1717 and only pull 130 amps. But is the Mamba 8x really my only option for a sensored esc?
Im glad I canceled the order, now I gotta do it right!

So the 1717 is like the only choice if I want that power and sensored. I just don't want to bite the bullet and buy a Mamba 8x esc, 200 bucks. I was hoping to get away with the Max8 as I heard a lot of guys run that 1717 and only pull 130 amps. But is the Mamba 8x really my only option for a sensored esc?
Im glad I canceled the order, now I gotta do it right!
Yes, as far as I know, the MMX8S is your only option for a bigger sensored ESC.

TP Power would be a second option for bigger sensored motors, though they must be custom-ordered and the price is similar to Castle.

I have the MMX8S/1717 combo in a Kraton EXB and have pulled over 270 amps on 6S. The system handled it just fine. I’d guess that a Max6/4985 combo delivers similar power but it’s not sensored.

Here’s a cheap Max6 ESC if you decide you don’t need sensored capability. Not my listing.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...esc-3s-to-8s-spmxse1160-125-00-shipped.58647/

Cool thanks. I wanted sensored as I have tight terrain here and have to go slow in parts. But then I thought of it and this thing is supposed to be a rocket ship.
So with this combo, Mamba, I could have both. 270 amps is nuts. What pinion gear would you suggest starting out, 18t?

Cool thanks. I wanted sensored as I have tight terrain here and have to go slow in parts. But then I thought of it and this thing is supposed to be a rocket ship.
So with this combo, Mamba, I could have both. 270 amps is nuts. What pinion gear would you suggest starting out, 18t?
I’d recommend buying this cheap set of pinions to try out different sizes. Start with the smallest and move up until it feels right. Once you’ve narrowed it down, then buy a Tekno pinion of that size. They’re pricey but they’re the best.

You can view motor/esc temps in the data logs after your runs which can help with the pinion decision as well.

AMOGOT Metal Steel M1 Pinion Gear Sets 16T 17T 18T 19T 20T 5mm Shaft Motor Gears with Hex Key for 1/10 RC Brushless Brush Motor https://a.co/d/biRnzMa

Right on thanks. Well I ordered a Tekno 13t from ebay and the guy is nice enough to send a different one. Im thinking 18t as Im running in 4s and limited area.
Plus long grass. A lot seem to go for more speed but thats with more room than I have. 18t a good place to start. I like your idea about trying different ones but its too late.

Should I also get some 6s packs going? Maybe 4s with this 1717 isnt going to be enough?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back