About to pull trigger on a HW Max 8 and 4278 2250kv Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
Howdy guys. Coming back into the hobby from long hiatus. I picked up a EXB and am trying to find a esc motor combo for it.
The catch is I want it for rock crawling so Im kinda drawn to this max8 combo and 2250kv Hobby Wing combo. It kinda looks like it will be close to stock but I was wondering if anyone would steer me away from this combo. I plan on running my old 3s plane packs (so 6s) and wonder if it will run hot.
I don't think I need mad power from a long can yet and found this combo for 225 shipped. Interested in what folks thought.

EXB... for rock crawling... I think you picked up the wrong roller
I think you meant to buy this...

TRX4.jpg

Oh no, rock crawling was just a small part of why I wanted to use the truck. I want full smooth speed with no cogging. I was going to set up an obstacle course here. Oh I want to go fast and bash, just want to "fly casual" sometimes. Think with a lower pinion hear that set up would work?
Thats a nice model and I would totally beat that up. Some of the terrain here you couldnt bash through. I want to make this truck a really flexible platform.

Sure, that setup should work fine. The important part is that you buy a sensored system.

Install that combo, one 3S battery, the smallest pinion that'll fit, and that should deliver what you seem to be looking for.

You can get the Hobbywing program card to go with it. It will allow you to change the punch settings amongst a few other things that might help your situation.

Right on Thanks. A 3s would just keep the speed down and over heating? 2s packs are dirt cheap a 4s setup would be easy too. IV got HW programming card from my airplanes. I love the idea of programming it from your phone on the fly. I was thinking a 15 pinion gear.

Think the motor would run hot with the 12t? I'm guessing the main disadvantage is I cant use higher teeth count gears without running into overheating issues?

With that motor you may need to just try it out and just keep checking the motor temp. A motor fan will help too. I have the castle with the 2200kv and it does fine. I mostly run on 4s though

You can get the Hobbywing program card to go with it. It will allow you to change the punch settings amongst a few other things that might help your situation.
I purchased one of those a couple weeks ago with my HW motor and esc. Worked great to set turbo (motor timing) and a WOT delay. $9

The OTA programmer is one of the reasons I want this combo so bad (I love data), all by phone. Thats good news about someone running the Castle 2200kv. I'v been told to go with something around 1700kv but I can't find a sensored motor other than Castle which is kinda pricey but o' so nice, also great for data.
I think thats a good idea run it and see how it does, I can see what temps its running then go from there. Starting out at 4s I cant go wrong?

Think it would run much cooler?
Cooler than what? The Castle 2200kv? Maybe. The lower kv helps you but it’s a lower quality motor, which hurts you. The difference in either direction is likely minimal since both motors are the same size.

What I’ve gathered here is that you want
  1. low-speed control
  2. high-speed power
  3. no heat issues
  4. detailed data visibility
The right combo for you is linked below. Warning: it’s pricey, but it’s also on sale right now. If you’re not willing to spend that much, then tell us which of those four preferences aren’t important to you.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-x-8s-33-6v-esc-w-1717-1650kv-010-0165-02

Right on, that was basically what I was going to go with first but then I read Reviews and a lot of people said hw. Castle is nice, have them in my planes but expensive.
I don't need that much speed, 50ish. I'd sacrifice that for torque. Well if the 1700 kv isn't going to run that much cooler the hw 4278 2250kv is the one I'd go for. Same price and is better, as you say. Better motor. 225 bucks shipped seems like as good of a deal as I can get. But I don't read reviews like their 4092, popular.

Heavy Metal rc YouTube set his fire team up with the max 8 as a trail truck. Looks pretty competent as such.

Fireteam video was great I love the low throttle control, that isnt terrain you could blow through, its like a little tank.
I guess the real question is will the Max8 handle a HW 4092 if I wanted to upgrade. I know you cant have both I just hope the setup Im going with has enough punch also.

Fireteam video was great I love the low throttle control, that isnt terrain you could blow through, its like a little tank.
I guess the real question is will the Max8 handle a HW 4092 if I wanted to upgrade. I know you cant have both I just hope the setup Im going with has enough punch also.
Yes - the 4092 should have enough punch in a Kraton.

No - I don’t think the Max8 can handle it for long. I could be wrong though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back