ABS vs Lexan vs Delrin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex Koder

2D , 3D Not a problem. I'll take that Challenge.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Nero
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vendetta
For the materials experts out there..
Please give me a quick 101 crash course on these plastics ,for use to make splitters with..

The cost for carbon fiber plates (at 3mm thickness, at sizes for 1/7 splitters) are extremely prohibitive at low quantity runs..
So, I'm trying to see if there's any other options and if there's even any interests from folks wanting splitters made from these other plastics.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

For the materials experts out there..
Please give me a quick 101 crash course on these plastics ,for use to make splitters with..

The cost for carbon fiber plates to be use to make splitters with (at 3mm thickness) are extremely prohibitive at low quantity runs..
So, I'm trying to see if there's any other options and if there's even any interests from folks wanting splitters made from these other plastics.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I'm no plastics expert so I'll leave that for others to comment on. I've been making my own splitters for some time from 2mm CF and I find it plenty robust for the application. As I think about it, I think it's actually preferable to 3mm CF because in the case of a frontal collision at speed it'll provide a little bit of give as opposed to transferring the damage to other components. The added bonus being that the lower cost will make it less painful to replace. That's my topic adjacent $0.02 anyways :)

Delrin's typical use case is to use its self lubrication properties in bushing applications.

Lexan is harder and more brittle than Delrin so that is likely not a good option.
ABS seems to always win in plastics comparisons....

ABS qualities:
  • Excellent impact strength
  • Good fabricating and machining properties
  • Excellent aesthetic properties
  • Good chemical resistance
  • Machines with ease
  • Low heat conductivity
  • Corrosion and abrasion resistant
  • Low co-efficient of friction
You should look into composite epoxy G10 plate. It is on par with CF sheets but considerably cheaper!

I like hdpe, and uhmw sheets to build with the hdpe is the same thing cutting boards are made from, the uhmw stuff is a bit softer and east to cut. Have not tried gluing either, but I think people also plastic weld these materials I made this body protector for my exb from the uhmw sheet
B5F7393D-A06E-4D25-97A6-432EDE78669D.jpeg
BEA8CEE8-CAA4-4DF3-9A82-F48A88805F0F.jpeg
6F7BBB58-49D3-4471-90AC-4B7A5CE18408.jpeg

Thank you all for your feedback and ideas.

I'll look into sourcing some ABS materials for future product designs.
And, possibly get some acrylic plates while I'm at it..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back