Adjustable ramp design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
Now that my Kraton is back to being a basher I am preparing to build a ramp.
There has been several threads on ramps lately, but I wanted to see what ideas others had on adjustable ramps.
This function of being adjustable would also make it possible to break down easy for storage or transportation.

This was an idea I came up with this afternoon using wooden rods acting as pins to make the ultimate height and angle adjustable.
Looking for feedback or other design ideas.

Liberty

Now that my Kraton is back to being a basher I am preparing to build a ramp.
There has been several threads on ramps lately, but I wanted to see what ideas others had on adjustable ramps.
This function of being adjustable would also make it possible to break down easy for storage or transportation.

This was an idea I came up with this afternoon using wooden rods acting as pins to make the ultimate height and angle adjustable.
Looking for feedback or other design ideas.

View attachment 42689

Liberty
Perfect! 3/8 bender board is super light. Could coat with flex seal.

After making ramps out of wood and watching them deteriorate sitting out in the weather while killing the grass and giving me a blind takeoff or landing, depending on where I stand,
I went ahead and built an adjustable ramp that solved all of those problems.
IMG_8356.JPG
IMG_8357.JPG
IMG_8358.JPG
IMG_8359.JPG
IMG_8360.JPG
IMG_8362.JPG
IMG_8506.JPG
IMG_8564.JPG

Perfect! 3/8 bender board is super light. Could coat with flex seal.
Id take
After making ramps out of wood and watching them deteriorate sitting out in the weather while killing the grass and giving me a blind takeoff or landing, depending on where I stand,
View attachment 42697View attachment 42698View attachment 42699View attachment 42700View attachment 42701View attachment 42702View attachment 42703View attachment 42704

Thats a real nice design you have there!
But.. You have a fixed curve.. Would be nice to have something where you can adjust the curve also..

Brilliant! Patent that!!
Ha thanks! :)
View attachment 42697View attachment 42698View attachment 42699View attachment 42700View attachment 42701View attachment 42702View attachment 42703View attachment 42704

That one is real nice! Not sure how I could make the angle also adjustable with metal like you can wood. I imagine at some point you find an ideal shape and only need to adjust the height.
Thanks for sharing your design.

-Liberty

@LibertyMKiii ... I'll just wait till you perfect your design then copy it..??? After all, its you with the engineering degree..?

Seriously though that design does look good and I like the fact you can adjust its curve..??

Ha thanks! :)

That one is real nice! Not sure how I could make the angle also adjustable with metal like you can wood. I imagine at some point you find an ideal shape and only need to adjust the height.
Thanks for sharing your design.

-Liberty

Id take.. Some aluminium "L" shaped pieces.. Put 2 on the floor.. Drill those full of holes.. Cross member the 2 together twice..

Take a sheet of 5mm polycarbonate.. It will bend i would say medium easy..
Screw 3 or 4 small "L" shaped alu pieces on there.. With only one hole.. Bolt the bottom one on your floor pieces..

Than take 6 (3 sets of 2 in length) boxed shaped alu pieces.. Put a bolt through at both ends.. 1 end into ploy fixed "L" and the other adjustable in the floor "L".. Wingnut on there..

Done.. You can adjust height and curve..

You wouldnt believe how hard that 5mm poly is.. If you hit it with a hammer.. It will send your hammer flyin out of your hand..

But.. It bends quite easy.. And after use.. It will straighten back out again..

I really think.. Im goin to project your idea!!!

Yeah, I don't have the tools or skill for that... or a truck to haul it. Don't think I'd want to lay that on the leather seats in the back of my car. lol! Really nice design though! What keeps the feet from sliding? Doesn't appear there's anything holding the legs at angle other than the feet making contact with the ground and the hope that the base of the ramp doesn't slide.

Id take.. Some aluminium "L" shaped pieces.. Put 2 on the floor.. Drill those full of holes.. Cross member the 2 together twice..

Take a sheet of 5mm polycarbonate.. It will bend i would say medium easy..
Screw 3 or 4 small "L" shaped alu pieces on there.. With only one hole.. Bolt the bottom one on your floor pieces..

Than take 6 (3 sets of 2 in length) boxed shaped alu pieces.. Put a bolt through at both ends.. 1 end into ploy fixed "L" and the other adjustable in the floor "L".. Wingnut on there..

Done.. You can adjust height and curve..

You wouldnt believe how hard that 5mm poly is.. If you hit it with a hammer.. It will send your hammer flyin out of your hand..

But.. It bends quite easy.. And after use.. It will straighten back out again..

I really think.. Im goin to project your idea!!!
I didn't mention this, but my goal is to build this with wood from the trash pile in the construction site 1 street over from my house.
Can't take funds away from the speed project LOL
@LibertyMKiii ... I'll just wait till you perfect your design then copy it..??? After all, its you with the engineering degree..?

Seriously though that design does look good and I like the fact you can adjust its curve..??

I think it can be done for a seriously cheap price. I am not so motivated this week though...
The kids want to go to the neighborhood pool tonight and it feels like gross bathwater at this point.

Last edited:
Don't know about in the U.S but here in the UK you can get Lexan sheet at pretty reasonable prices, and I know that stuff is stupidly strong..??

Not as cheap as off cuts from construction site though..??

Found this a while ago....just never posted before

Last edited:
Don't know about in the U.S but here in the UK you can get Lexan sheet at pretty reasonable prices, and I know that stuff is stupidly strong..??

Here in the Netherlands also.. 120cm long, 60cm wide... Gonna set me back like 35eu

Like the ramp.. Only thing i don't like is the use of MDF.. That stuff sucks up water like crazy

Yeah, I don't have the tools or skill for that... or a truck to haul it. Don't think I'd want to lay that on the leather seats in the back of my car. lol! Really nice design though! What keeps the feet from sliding? Doesn't appear there's anything holding the legs at angle other than the feet making contact with the ground and the hope that the base of the ramp doesn't slide.
I made the feet out of 3" aluminum channel with a through bolt so that they pivot 180 degrees like you'd find on an extension ladder. Flat for concrete or pavement and angled for dirt so that it digs in and doesn't slide when you hit it with a lot of speed.
IMG_0791.JPG

I also added adjustment holes to the bracket that holds the top of both legs instead of relying on bolt tension that can move after a hard launch
IMG_0792.JPG

Mi no habla

I made the feet out of 3" aluminum channel with a through bolt so that they pivot 180 degrees like you'd find on an extension ladder. Flat for concrete or pavement and angled for dirt so that it digs in and doesn't slide when you hit it with a lot of speed.
View attachment 42722

I also added adjustment holes to the bracket that holds the top of both legs instead of relying on bolt tension that can move after a hard launchView attachment 42723
Ah. Nice! Didn't see that through bolt before.

@LibertyMKiii and @Mr.Duke, you guys are both inspiring builders. You both have obvious experience in design and fabrication, and it is genuinely gracious of you to share those designs here. I know that I have the ability to construct some of the designs you have shown, but I don't have the money, time or space to do it. Please keep sharing though, as I'm sure you will inspire others here to try new things outside of the rc hobby????

@LibertyMKiii and @Mr.Duke, you guys are both inspiring builders. You both have obvious experience in design and fabrication, and it is genuinely gracious of you to share those designs here. I know that I have the ability to construct some of the designs you have shown, but I don't have the money, time or space to do it. Please keep sharing though, as I'm sure you will inspire others here to try new things outside of the rc hobby????

Thanks @Notorious J for the kind words.
I believe many people fear building to be more difficult than it really is. My build should only require a few tools: saw (any kind), electric screw driver, and a hole saw bit (around 2" probably). I am estimating the costs in the ball park of $40.00 +/- (very affordable).

I hope to start on it within a few months, just too many projects going on right now.

-Liberty

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back