Adjustable Ramp - Small & Portable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kantonburg

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
So I wanted to build a small ramp for my 11 year old to learn to jump on and not break something every time he sent it. :ROFLMAO: I also wanted something small enough to fit in the back of our SUV or trunk of a car. Needed to be light and portable.

What I wanted to do was have something that started 6" off the ground and could move up in 1" increments to about 10". Plenty for him to learn on and we could take to the campground. I went to Lowes and got a pine board that was 24"x24" ($8). I figured 2 feet wide was enough for 1/10 scale. He has a BRCC and my daughter has a Slash. I just picked up a single 4 foot pine 2x4 ($4) and a single 2 foot ($3) 2x4. In the end I only needed one 4 foot piece. I didn't want to have to run back to Lowes if I messed something up.

Once complete I used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane on the entire ramp. We take this camping and it'll stay in the back of the truck so if it rains I wanted some protection. They use this stuff on wooden boats so it's made for outdoors. I had a can already for a previous project, but if you want it it's about $18 at Lowes for a small can. I used 3 coats on the top. 2 coats on the bottom. 2 coats on the legs, but 3 coats on the bottom of the legs since that could be in wet grass from time to time.

Here are some pics and the plans I used to make it. I modeled it in SolidWorks with hardware. Please feel free to comment and make any suggestions. Won't hurt my feeling at all.
Couple of things I should mention. I used 1/4-20 hardware, but also got 3/8 hardware just in case. I can drill out the holes to 7/16". I should have moved the stickers more to the middle. Right now the tires run right over the stickers. It has 3 coats of urethane over them so it'll be ok for awhile. I may also go back and counter sink the wood screws. I did not glue anything at this point either.

Enjoy

A few people wanted to be tagged for this.
@IWANTBLUE
@RC_kid
@L3phturn

DSC_3763.jpg

DSC_3765.jpg

DSC_3766.jpg

DSC_3767.jpg

DSC_3768.jpg

DSC_3769.jpg

DSC_3770.jpg

DSC_3771.jpg

DSC_3772.jpg

Attachments

• RAMP-ADJUSTABLE.PDF
    351 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
So I wanted to build a small ramp for my 11 year old to learn to jump on and not break something every time he sent it. :ROFLMAO: I also wanted something small enough to fit in the back of our SUV or trunk of a car. Needed to be light and portable.

Wanted I wanted to do was have something that started 6" off the ground and could move up in 1" increments to about 10". Plenty for him to learn on and we could take to the campground. I went to Lowes and got a pine board that was 24"x24" ($8). I figured 2 feet wide was enough for 1/10 scale. He has a BRCC and my daughter has a Slash. I just picked up a single 4 foot pine 2x4 ($4) and a single 2 foot ($3) 2x4. In the end I only needed one 4 foot piece. I didn't want to have to run back to Lowes if I messed something up.

Once complete I used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane on the entire ramp. We take this camping and it'll stay in the back of the truck so if it rains I wanted some protection. They use this stuff on wooden boats so it's made for outdoors. I had a can already for a previous project, but if you want it it's about $18 at Lowes for a small can. I used 3 coats on the top. 2 coats on the bottom. 2 coats on the legs, but 3 coats on the bottom of the legs since that could be in wet grass from time to time.

Here are some pics and the plans I used to make it. I modeled it in SolidWorks with hardware. Please feel free to comment and make any suggestions. Won't hurt my feeling at all.
Couple of things I should mention. I used 1/4-20 hardware, but also got 3/8 hardware just in case. I can drill out the holes to 7/16". I should have moved the stickers more to the middle. Right now the tires run right over the stickers. It has 3 coats of urethane over them so it'll be ok for awhile. I may also go back and counter sink the wood screws. I did not glue anything at this point either.

Enjoy

@IWANTBLUE
@RC_kid
@L3phturn

View attachment 132386

View attachment 132387

View attachment 132388

View attachment 132389

View attachment 132390

View attachment 132391

View attachment 132392

View attachment 132393

View attachment 132394
Nice! I use solidworks too. Its a powerful tool and can be intimidating if you don't know how to use it. I just made this like two hours ago. Its a wallet clip for a wallet that holds the money with a string. This clips onto the string so its eaiser to grab the string. The main hole is only 1mm so its tiny.
Wallet Clip .png

Wallet Clip.png

Wanted I wanted to do was have something that started 6" off the ground and could move up in 1" increments to about 10". Plenty for him to learn on and we could take to the campground. I went to Lowes and got a pine board that was 24"x24" ($8). I figured 2 feet wide was enough for 1/10 scale. He has a BRCC and my daughter has a Slash. I just picked up a single 4 foot pine 2x4 ($4) and a single 2 foot ($3) 2x4. In the end I only needed one 4 foot piece. I didn't want to have to run back to Lowes if I messed something up.

Enjoy

@IWANTBLUE
@RC_kid
@L3phturn

View attachment 132386

View attachment 132387

View attachment 132388

View attachment 132389

View attachment 132390

View attachment 132391

View attachment 132392

View attachment 132393

View attachment 132394
Looks good!! I like the way you can adjust it.
Rather inexpensive 🤘🏻🤘🏻

The ramp does not require folding since the legs slip out of the joint. The legs are then placed on the underside when transporting. I spent countless hours designing the ramp to get where I'm at today. Although it might not seem like it. :)

I was originally going to try and sell the ramp but it's not worth my time. I'm happy to explain the design on the forum, maybe good vibes will pay me back. PM if you want the exact material and sources to build it.

BTW- The legs are shelving rods that extend to adjust the angle. The PVC pipes (frame) are attached with velcro and the Plexi is a specific thickness that works perfectly. I've run an 8s very heavy rig and it does not move. It's a pretty cool ramp but not intended to launch super high.

My research

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 5.47.09 PM.png

My version can be seen here>

And in action here>
Brilliant, didn't look quite big enough , but the videos proved otherwise!

Perfect for those of us without huge run offs very neat and light weight looking too😎😎

What I wanted to do was have something that started 6" off the ground and could move up in 1" increments to about 10". Plenty for him to learn on and we could take to the campground. I went to Lowes and got a pine board that was 24"x24" ($8). I figured 2 feet wide was enough for 1/10 scale. He has a BRCC and my daughter has a Slash. I just picked up a single 4 foot pine 2x4 ($4) and a single 2 foot ($3) 2x4. In the end I only needed one 4 foot piece. I didn't want to have to run back to Lowes if I messed something up.

Enjoy

@IWANTBLUE
@RC_kid
@L3phturn

View attachment 132386

View attachment 132387

View attachment 132388

View attachment 132389

View attachment 132390

View attachment 132391

View attachment 132392

View attachment 132393

View attachment 132394
Cheers for the tag bud, another nice simple but adjustable ramp 👍👍
The ramp does not require folding since the legs slip out of the joint. The legs are then placed on the underside when transporting. I spent countless hours designing the ramp to get where I'm at today. Although it might not seem like it. :)

I was originally going to try and sell the ramp but it's not worth my time. I'm happy to explain the design on the forum, maybe good vibes will pay me back. PM if you want the exact material and sources to build it.

BTW- The legs are shelving rods that extend to adjust the angle. The PVC pipes (frame) are attached with velcro and the Plexi is a specific thickness that works perfectly. I've run an 8s very heavy rig and it does not move. It's a pretty cool ramp but not intended to launch super high.

My research

View attachment 132477
Thanks for the research too..

Last edited:
Brilliant, didn't look quite big enough , but the videos proved otherwise!

Perfect for those of us without huge run offs very neat and light weight looking too😎😎

Cheers for the tag bud, another nice simple but adjustable ramp 👍👍

Thanks for the research too..
Indeed. This ramp launches 3s - 8s rigs at least 40-50 feet. It may not launch super high but great for transport and shorter runs.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back