Ads-7m servo in granite 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetron22

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
This is my first post. I am new to rc and just figuring things out on the fly. I recently had what I figured to be a servo issue on my granite 4x4 (turned left but wouldn't go right, turning right only brought the wheels straight, neutral had the wheels left). I tried rebinding everything in neutral and it seemed to work for as bit but then it went back to going left only. So since I'm going to upgrade to brushless I figured let's start the upgrades with the servo. I went with the arrma ads-7m 7kg servo. My problem is the gear on the original servo is larger than the new gear on the 7m servo so my original servo saver won't fit. Do I need to modify something or buy a new servo saver to fit or am I just ignorant and not seeing what I should lol? I currently used a round plate, that came with the new servo, and screwed it to the original servo saver, which didn't feel right but seemed like it would maybe work..........well it doesn't quite function correct. It's very slow and only returns to neutral with assistance. It also doesn't sound right (see video). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure all the Arrma servos are 25t spline - which means the whole SS assembly from the original servo should drop right on the new servo. You should not need any of the servo arms that came with the new servo.

If you do want to just get a new SS, I recommend the Kimbrough servo savers. Great quality, I've been using them for probably 30 years.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kimbro...or-futaba-thunder-tiger-servos-1-kim114/p4582
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kimbrough-mid-size-servo-saver-futaba-hitec-airtronics-kim201/p32168

Yeah everything I've read says "its plug and play" not so much though. The new servo spline (is that the right term) is definitely smaller.

Hi

That sound is the servo straining to do its job, it will only do that if somtheing is binding up in the steering. Disconnect the servo from the steer servo and then move the steer back and forth, you sould have absolutely no resistance in the steering. As for the servo saver you said the spline is to small on the new servo, then there is a good chance the servo saver was forced onto the old servo at the factory and that could be part of your steering problem. Check the condition of the splines on the servo saver if they look cross theaded then thats where your problem is.

Hi

That sound is the servo straining to do its job, it will only do that if somtheing is binding up in the steering. Disconnect the servo from the steer servo and then move the steer back and forth, you sould have absolutely no resistance in the steering. As for the servo saver you said the spline is to small on the new servo, then there is a good chance the servo saver was forced onto the old servo at the factory and that could be part of your steering problem. Check the condition of the splines on the servo saver if they look cross theaded then thats where your problem is.

Attachments

• 20180915_120423.jpg
    20180915_120423.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 37
That white spline on your old servo is a servo saver insert it installs over the servo spline that is why it looks larger. You see it has a flange take that white piece off the top of the old servo and put it on the new servo.
20180915_120423_LI.jpg

Last edited:
That white spline on your old servo is a servo saver insert it installs over the servo spline that is why it looks larger. You see it has a flange take that white piece off the top of the old servo and put it on the new servo.View attachment 22101
Thought i was going to break it but it came off and works perfect thanks! Back up and running! Woohoo!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back