Granite Advice for new motor and esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsainoob88

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello arrma community,
I am a newcomer to rc cars in general and have purchased an,
Arrma Granite 4x4 3S BLX - Red/Blue.

It has been through 5-8 charges of the battery and stopped working.

I have tried a lot of steps to get this thing running. Short version - It has been returned to seller and shipped back to me , it worked for about 30 seconds and packed in again .
I am currently in process of shipping it back and hope for a better resolution this time.

However, I have seen a lot of problems online regarding the BLX100 ESC which is fitted in this model and even if they do replace under warranty, which they are being awkward about by the way . I would like to have a spare esc and motor on hand for when the inevitable happens .

Question : how do I know what esc and motor will fit in my car and also if the screws will match the screw holes in my chassis ect ?

Any advice appreciated and good day to you all 👍

Hobbystar 3670 3050kv is apparently pretty good however I've never used one. HW Max10SCT is a good 4s esc.

Question : how do I know what esc and motor will fit in my car and also if the screws will match the screw holes in my chassis ect ?

The BLX100 / BLX120 will fit the stock mounting holes... everything else can be made to fit with zip ties and servo tape :p

Seriously though - @suchtragedy has designed ESC mounting plates that can be printed out and allow you to mount an aftermarket ESC and then screw it down to the factory location(s):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4291910

The BLX100 / BLX120 will fit the stock mounting holes... everything else can be made to fit with zip ties and servo tape :p

Seriously though - @suchtragedy has designed ESC mounting plates that can be printed out and allow you to mount an aftermarket ESC and then screw it down to the factory location(s):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4291910

So with this would I need to get someone with a 3d printer to print that out for me ?
Also , with the after market esc and motors . Is there a way to know what would be suitable for my granite by looking at numbers ect ?

So with this would I need to get someone with a 3d printer to print that out for me ?
Also , with the after market esc and motors . Is there a way to know what would be suitable for my granite by looking at numbers ect ?

Yes - or else there are print services that can print out STL files for a cost. Or take the STL to your local library - most have 3D printers and will help you print out stuff.

As far as aftermarket ESC/motors, just look at the descriptions for something that will handle 3S, ~100-120 amps ... motors maybe 36XX (3660 or 3670) with something like the ~3100kV range. Look in the build threads to see what people have used.

Would you be able to stick a link up that will take me to the builds section I'm having some trouble finding it . Thank you.
Ok stupid question I just found it 👍

The Spektrum Firma 130 amp esc fits the senton and granite using stock esc spot

If you are just looking for a backup esc I would just go with one of the cheap Chinese brands like surpass hobby, good RC, etc, etc. you can pick them up really cheap and they should work in the interim while the blx is being fixed or replaced. Better idea just pickup a second rig and run that one while the other one is shut down.......the addiction is real! Be careful....
Broken RC....😡
Realizing I can’t fix it....😳
Spending more money on parts that don’t work......😂🤯
Buying more RC’s for the collection.......😀😎🥳🤪🤩

The Spektrum Firma 130 amp esc fits the senton and granite using stock esc spot

Fits as in "fits", or fits as in "can be screwed down into the stock mounting location?

I'm looking at getting a Hobbystar 3670 and bigger ESC for my Typhon 3S (stock gets hot with Proline MX28 tires). I'd like something that is a drop in replacement to the stock mounting. I'd rather not rely on double sided tape, and having to remote the tape to get into the receiver box. But if that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do. The Max10 SCT seems to fit nicely on the receiver box with double sided tape. I'd just rather something that fits with the stock mounting screw locations.

Edit: That being said... after buying the Typhon 3S, buying Proline MX28 tires, then potentially buying a motor and ESC - I could have just bought a Typhon 6S and some Backflip LPs, lower to a 12T pinion, and been "done". Plus I run the risk of breaking the drive shafts on Typhon 3S with the added power from the larger motor and the heavier tires. So maybe I should "cut my losses" and use the Typhon 3S as a backup vehicle and just get the Typhon 6S with Backflip LPs. That's a lot of money up front though, compared to dropping 100 bucks into the Typhon 3S every month or two.

Last edited:
Alot of people recomend the cheap chinese motors and esc's but in my opinion I'd rather just get the better parts so i don't have to keep buying new ones lol hobbywing max10sct is a good 2-4s esc screw holes line up perfect spectrum makes some good stuff too and for the motors hobbywing and castle are good brands hobby wing has a 3660 3200kv 4000kv and 4600kv motor a bunch of other options too if you wanted to go with a lower kv motor

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back