Vorteks Advice for newbie 4x4 RTR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdman99

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Just recently into RC electrics again which was triggered by buying a little 16 scale FTX for my son for Xmas.
Was instantly hooked and have already purchased a good quality charger ready to purchase a new 4x4 .
So on here looking for advice on what Arrma to buy.

Priorities for my first RTR

Speed - fast enough to impress ;), pulls wheelies .
Can be bashed around without breaking easily.
Steady car tht doesn’t flip on turns
Can withstand grass, rough tracks, sand and also good on tarmac.
Good size battery tht lasts 20 minutes plus.
Good value for money

Hoping that guys with experience can guide me to a good choice mu budget is £400

Just recently into RC electrics again which was triggered by buying a little 16 scale FTX for my son for Xmas.
Was instantly hooked and have already purchased a good quality charger ready to purchase a new 4x4 .
So on here looking for advice on what Arrma to buy.

Priorities for my first RTR

Speed - fast enough to impress ;), pulls wheelies .
Can be bashed around without breaking easily.
Steady car tht doesn’t flip on turns
Can withstand grass, rough tracks, sand and also good on tarmac.
Good size battery tht lasts 20 minutes plus.
Good value for money

Hoping that guys with experience can guide me to a good choice mu budget is £400
Based on your priorities, I suggest the Arrma 3s big rock. However, if you can bump your price at a bit I would strongly recommend the 4S Kraton. You can choose the battery that you want. Sounds like you already have a charger? What kind?

Keep in mind the durability of these cars is directly related to how hard you drive it, how high you jump it and how well you maintain it. I have eight Arrmas and I’m constantly working on them because I drive them hard. However, on my wife’s big rock I have only replaced one differential (my fault) in the last two years. Nothing else has broken on it because she drives slow and steady. I still maintain the car on a routine basis though.

5k -6k Mah packs get 15-20 min run times on average, IMHO. For most any RC, that is setup properly. Higher capacity Lipos start to get very heavy. That can work against you. Better to get a few lipos compared to that one larger capacity pack.
I know you have a budget, Just that I would look to the 6S line of Arrma's. You are in the EU, so I don't know of any "Great deals" that exist.
But I got my Fireteam for $400. USD. And still see them around for $500. in some places. FT MAP price is $670. USD.
There might be less expensive Arrma 6s rigs out there also.
If you go with the 4x4 Arrma line, they are less expensive. But you pay for what you get. Being mostly plastic, chassis and all. Most 6s modesl running 4s Packs. will also be very durable.
Your requirements for a rig need to be more realistic. They will all break. They will all tumble wumble. Much is driver skill. So in the beginning, you will find yourself breaking much anyway.
Ultimately is your call, your wallet. Just make an educated decision. RC is super fun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back