Advice for speed run motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
I’m building a speed run car and would like some advice. I have three motors to choose from and I’d like to hear some pros and cons. Will be running on an XLX2.
1. A new TP 5660 1170kv. I bought this when TP had the sale a couple months ago and got a pretty great deal on it. My thought was I could probably gear it to the moon on 6s plus it’s 8s capable. Then I heard the XLX2 has issues with 6-pole motors over 30K rpm, and this one is good for 59K. Then I heard lower KV 6-poles are generally ok, so I have a little confusion.
2. HW 4985 1650kv. I’ve heard this motor runs great with the XLX2 and I think it’s a good KV for speed running?
3. A TP 4060 1750KV I bought from a forum member. Again, I got a good deal on it and figured the KV range was good.
Any advice is appreciated!

I’m building a speed run car and would like some advice. I have three motors to choose from and I’d like to hear some pros and cons. Will be running on an XLX2.
1. A new TP 5660 1170kv. I bought this when TP had the sale a couple months ago and got a pretty great deal on it. My thought was I could probably gear it to the moon on 6s plus it’s 8s capable. Then I heard the XLX2 has issues with 6-pole motors over 30K rpm, and this one is good for 59K. Then I heard lower KV 6-poles are generally ok, so I have a little confusion.
2. HW 4985 1650kv. I’ve heard this motor runs great with the XLX2 and I think it’s a good KV for speed running?
3. A TP 4060 1750KV I bought from a forum member. Again, I got a good deal on it and figured the KV range was good.
Hobbywing 1650 ran great on the girlfriend lim with a xlx2 but on 6s and never truly maxed But as far as the 5650 I had a 1440kv and was hitting around 28-30k with the ability to run a 134 and a 138mph.. but @LibertyMKiii would be the one who knows best

If those are my only 3 choices I would go with the TP5660
Highest wattage handling of the bunch. Running at 80% efficiency it will be turning around 1000 rpms per volt so you may only see 20-25k rpms on 8s.

Which car? 6S or 8S? What are your speed goals?
Typhon GT. 6s or 8s would depend on the motor. Of the three, only the 5660 is capable of running 8s.
It’s a 325mm chassis so I don’t think it’ll be running north of 150mph
If those are my only 3 choices I would go with the TP5660
Highest wattage handling of the bunch. Running at 80% efficiency it will be turning around 1000 rpms per volt so you may only see 20-25k rpms on 8s.
How do you think it would do on 4s or 6s to cut my teeth at this? No concerns regarding the 6-pole motor‘s ability to play nice with the XLX2?

Typhon GT. 6s or 8s would depend on the motor. Of the three, only the 5660 is capable of running 8s.
It’s a 325mm chassis so I don’t think it’ll be running north of 150mph

How do you think it would do on 4s or 6s to cut my teeth at this? No concerns regarding the 6-pole motor‘s ability to play nice with the XLX2?
Should be fine. 1170KV is well within the constraints given the XLX2. People have run the 1440KV 56xx and 58xx motor without problems. Of the three my vote would be for the 5660 as well. I'd start out on 4S though to get the car dialed in before moving up.

What application would the TP 4060 1750 motor work in? I thought some might favor that choice.
Personally I'd definitely try both out. Who knows, you may find that you like the 4060 better. The 5660 is definitely going to have more low end grunt but I bet that 4060 would perform great as well.

Kinda surprised that people prefer the 5660 motor. Seems like it’s such a big and heavy motor for the typhon…

U might as well try out all three. Part of the fun of speedrunning is testing out new combinations.

Last edited:
Kinda surprised that people prefer the 5660 motor. Seems like it’s such a big and heavy motor for the typhon…

U might as well try out all three. Part of the fun of speedrunning is testing out new combinations.
I have a tp 5650 in my typhon gt and it rips.

+1
To add...
With all that torque you can gear it to the moon. And will have to for any respectable speeds.
I currently have my Lim geared at 44tpin 28tspur and the 5660 1350kv got too hot while making a test pass! Also, the xlx2 got hot too! I had fans on the motor but that didn’t help much!

But previously I had my lim on 35tpin and 34tspur with mmx8s and the 5660 motor ran very cool! I ran it for all day and it was just good!

I think 4985 will get hot for anyone who wants to speed run! It’s better to have very good fans on if you are going with 4985!

I just rebuilt my Mojave with SSS 5694 1200kv(not better than the tp5660 though) motor and it’s lit!! I thought it would make the rig heavy but I tightened up the springs and it’s rolling pretty and under control! I’m sure 5660 on typhon 6s works great if speed running!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back