Mojave Advice: Mojave Exb Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Grimbles or others do you happen to have the specs of the approximate thickness of foam pads that work well for the body mounts? Also, does anyone have a link for a set of shims that would be appropriate in case I need them? Are these any good: https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-differential-shim-set-fits-29mm-case-ara311094/p1279578

not sure if the Mojave is 29mm diff case?
I bought some a4 kids hobby foam sheet and cut and stuck until it was thick enough then wrapped in duct tape! Others may have a more professional approach :)

I got mine in the mail yesterday. I ordered up all the parts from Jenny's RC for a Fireteam 6s at the same time I ordered up the Mojave. Got every thing up and running to find that the servo horn in the newer kits is a 25t not a 23t like everyone's posting about. So here I set with a Spectrum servo and the wrong horn LOL the LHS doesn't have a 23t in stock at this time. Looks like I get to wait till next weekend to run mine.
new mojave.jpg

Checked the rear and center differentials... fill was just fine. Just topped it off a little bit. Probably won't bother checking the front... must have had a good day at the factory
Anyone have recommendations on how to install the ESC? Screws from below along with heavy duty double sided tape?

I got mine in the mail yesterday. I ordered up all the parts from Jenny's RC for a Fireteam 6s at the same time I ordered up the Mojave. Got every thing up and running to find that the servo horn in the newer kits is a 25t not a 23t like everyone's posting about. So here I set with a Spectrum servo and the wrong horn LOL the LHS doesn't have a 23t in stock at this time. Looks like I get to wait till next weekend to run mine. View attachment 208667
Weekend will be here soon... good luck with your build!

Checked the rear and center differentials... fill was just fine. Just topped it off a little bit. Probably won't bother checking the front... must have had a good day at the factory
Anyone have recommendations on how to install the ESC? Screws from below along with heavy duty double sided tape?
There are several options: heavy duty double tape, tie-wrap over the esc, 3d printed max6 adaptor plate or a combination. I have the 3d printed adaptor plate; if it wasn’t for that probably I used heavy duty double sided tape and drilled screw holes in the stock esc plate. Just make sure to buy a good brand (e.g. 3M) and clean the contact areas of the rig and esc with alcohol and don’t touch them anymore. for the strongest bonding.

Hi Erie,
I didn´t check my diffs and I had a feeling as they were not too "active". Lying on the side the air sided wheels spin without Problem. Should this be so with 10.000 cst Oil in there? I just ordered 30k and 500k oil a time ago to tune a bit those diffs. No idea if that will be OK...
And I found the shocks quite soft. I have some 700 cst oil also. I think that I´ll change the oil if I go on more power (weight) in the future.

I found that the Mojave runs really cool. Quite gripy on gras but very stable. Only running 4S with 50% power with 13t pinion. My old ESC is kind a crap for that rocket 4092 motor. So it didn´t ride at all or only with less gas with the 18t pinion. I just ordered another Firma 160A to go on the safe side. I also realised that the 4092 motor got quite hot (only with my beginner hands). So today I "went" on the search for some accesories. I found double fans with cooling rips (2x30mm) or some clamp holders for 40 mm fans. I preferred the last ones and ordered ones (2xplastic fans 40mm) since the motor has already rips on its body. I´m thinking of going for rocket fans, they seem to be more powerfull but shipping time is too long from China. I also ordered an infrared heat measuring gun to "see" how high the temperature really is.

About the fenders: I was about to order them in the beginning but searching for mudguards for the rear someone told me that the electronics could get too hot. So I´m only using a dust cover. I hope, that it´s not the reason for the hot motor.

About ESC: I have only mounted one 150A, so not too heavy. I used double sided thick tape (like 1mm thick foam). I thought it wouldn´t stick well enough but it is bomb stiff. I didn´t use plastic zipp ties. For the "big block" Firma 160A I´ll tide maybe...

One thing I didn´t like too much was connecting the cables to the receiver. it would be nice to have there something for holding the cables on the bottom without risking them to go up to the gearing shafts. I used here also the double sided tape :)

I use this. It's like a gel but in double-sided adhesive tape form, so it absorbs shocks that will otherwise reach the ESC. It's very strong stuff too... I've never had an ESC come loose, so long as the surfaces are clean and wiped properly, and can peel off again leaving no mess:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/mr33-double-sided-tape-25mm-x-3m-404651
I have a double sided Tape from Ali for around €4. That one is also super heavy strong. I needed a screwdriver and quite for to loose the first ESC. And good point about shock absorption. Probably that wouldn´t hurt the ESC :). The mounting plate from the Mojave is quite short for mounting the 160A Esc. I mounted an used one with already cut screw brackets on the outside, so it fitted just right
My first build, Mojave EXB! Before I get started, any tips on the details you guys can give to avoid inevitable frustration? Any pinion recommendations? Do I need any special screws or hardware, like motor mount? Here are some pics of what I have on hand. Will this servo be adaquate?

I plan on sorting through the various threads as I’m sure there lots out there but it’s kind of overwhelming!

View attachment 208396
Main components

View attachment 208397
You went all in with that combo :D Have you tried it yet? Would love to know how it goes since I have installed a Rocket 4092 also 1650 KV and it goes not so fast as I supossed on 4S (13t, 18t and then 23t. Last one seems to be the biggest that fits the standard mount). I feel that the combo is also quite heavy or the Mojave quite soft. Since my plan was to put the 8S from the Kraton (4685) in I´ll tune the shocks with some 750 cps and/or maybe thicker springs. I regulated them on the rear, but then the springs scrub the shocks what bother me quite :/
Need to check the diffs also. Since I have not so much time and a place to wrench its a mess
I have a 9imod 38 kg servo. It looks similar and works super fast. I may need to regulate the travel since on streets it´s too much cornering or the tires are too grippy xD :)

Last edited:
Hey all, I’m finally getting back to this build and hit a snag. Do I need a new motor mount? When the center differential is fully seated, there is not enough room for a pinion. I’m new at this so I know I must be missing something obvious… thanks in advance for your help! It’s a max 6 combo motor/esc…

9D6667A6-7C0C-4D52-BA08-16385E2E44E8.jpeg

Thanks, kind of realized that after I looked at the picture I posted!!

In the picture above, if you loosen the two screws on top of the motor mount you van slide it to the left to adjust the pinion/spur gear mesh.
FYI, Those are good bolts to replace with cap head screws. M4 x 18 and a washer, if memory serves me right.
…also the new body mounts might not need the foam.
Hurricane

FYI, Those are good bolts to replace with cap head screws. M4 x 18 and a washer, if memory serves me right.
…also the new body mounts might not need the foam.
Hurricane
I also was thinking that my body mounts are pretty solid. Probably they are better than the first ones (?)...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back