Advice on a new charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis328

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I'm looking at getting a new charger as my traxxas charger that I bought is a little slow charging my 6s batteries.
In total I have 2 6S 5000mah, 3 3S 5000mah and 2 2500mah NiMH batteries that I use once in a while.

I'm looking at this one: http://www.bigsquidrc.com/dynamite-...0-watts-x-2-balancing-battery-charger-review/

And this one: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191795505297&alt=web

The dual would charge each battery quicker, but the quad would obviously charge 4 at once.

Im open to ideas and suggestions.

@justatree I did look at that charger, but the watts per channel are a little too low for me. It would only charge my 6s batteries at ~2A.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with the passport ultra duo because I'll still have my traxxas charger which can charge 1, so that's essentially 3 batteries at once.

with a 50-100W charger you will be fine for a single 2S or 3S pack.

It's your 6S packs, which need serious charging power. And that drives up the price of the charger, if you want to reach at least 1C of charging speed.

output power = voltage x amperes
For example:
100W= 7,4v (2S) x 13,5A
100W= 22,2v (6S) x 4,5A

And this is without losses taken into account. And note that when the voltage rises (one lipo cell can go up to 4,21v) the amperage drops accordingly (and does the charging speed anyway)

So your 5000Ah 6S packs need more than 100W in order to be charged at 1C.

If you can live with the longer charging times for the 6S's, a double 100W will be fine.

how many amps would you charge that 5000mah 6s lipo on the 100w charger than? ( since I have it and my dad might get a typhon)

how many amps would you charge that 5000mah 6s LiPo on the 100w charger than? ( since I have it and my dad might get a typhon)
From storage voltage (~22.8V) it would charge at 4.4 amps. As it gets closer to full charge, 25.2V the amperage would slowly drop to ~3.9 amps.

I've been charging mine on my 80W traxxas charger and I'm not upset with how long it takes to charge, just wish I could charge more than 1 at a time

You guys will get more for your money if you step away from the brands your LHS carries (i.e. dynamite, venom, traxxas, ect). Also, if at all possible, buy bigger than you need. It will be cheaper in the long run. If you buy one that will be maxed out with your current packs, the inevitable cell count or capacity upgrade will have you wanting a new one.

You guys will get more for your money if you step away from the brands your LHS carries (i.e. dynamite, venom, traxxas, ect). Also, if at all possible, buy bigger than you need. It will be cheaper in the long run. If you buy one that will be maxed out with your current packs, the inevitable cell count or capacity upgrade will have you wanting a new one.
Agree. This is exactly my situation. Like I said above, my 2x50w charger is not cutting it for me now that I need to charge 4s and 6s. My next RC purchase will likely be this charger 2x300w charger. For starters, I will power it from an old 500w PC power supply that has a 360w, 12v bus, but will plan on buying a 1000w server PS.

Also, you can get more charger for your money by buying a DC only charger, and either buying a converted server power supply, or converting a power supply out of an old PC. For new-ish PC power supplies, converting them is as simple as jumpering one wire (green to black, on most PS), and adding your plugs(yellow to black, on most PS).

Partly the charging time. Also, when using the charger outdoors on a warm day, it can't push the full amps / watts - it will overheat and shut down one of the channels. This was not an issue over the winter for me, but this weekend, it tripped 3 times while chargeing 2 - 2s 5600 batteries at 6 amps both channels. So it was not running full watts, and still tripping. I had to dial one battery back to 3 amps.

I have not tried it yet, but charging 2 x 4s it will be pushing full wattage, so I am thinking it will trip then too. Unless I turn it down an live with 3 hour charge times.

Jerry

Partly the charging time. Also, when using the charger outdoors on a warm day, it can't push the full amps / watts - it will overheat and shut down one of the channels. This was not an issue over the winter for me, but this weekend, it tripped 3 times while chargeing 2 - 2s 5600 batteries at 6 amps both channels. So it was not running full watts, and still tripping. I had to dial one battery back to 3 amps.

I have not tried it yet, but charging 2 x 4s it will be pushing full wattage, so I am thinking it will trip then too. Unless I turn it down an live with 3 hour charge times.

Jerry
Haha the thing is right now chicago is still cold and my charger is always in the house so I guess it is fine, I charge one battery at a time because I think my house can only handle something around 15 amps but we have so many things plugged in so I don't think I would trip anything if I charge 4s

LOL... I would not worry about tripping a house breaker. if the charger is running full power on both channels, it is only drawing about 1 amp on the house circuit..

LOL... I would not worry about tripping a house breaker. if the charger is running full power on both channels, it is only drawing about 1 amp on the house circuit..
May I ask why that would happen if you were to do that (mine does 6amps max for both)

amps * volts = watts.

Remember, it is only pushing 6 amps at 9 or so volts.

house voltage is 120v so

A*120v=100w
or
A=100/120
or
A=0.833

So at max charge - both channels pushing a 4s pack at 3.2 amps, the charger is pulling 100 watts, which on the house side is 0.83 amps.

About the same as a light fixture with an old incandescent bulb...

Iam personally running the hitec 4x charger and its been working great. Max amp charge is 6 amps per charge port.

how many amps would you charge that 5000mah 6s LiPo on the 100w charger than? ( since I have it and my dad might get a typhon)

First check what the maximum charging C is of your lipo pack 6S 5Ah.

In order to charge with 1C (one time the Capacity = 5.0AmpereHour) for roughly 25.0 Volts, you need at least 150Watts of input power. Remember, lossless systems do not exist.

Problem is there are not many affordable AC/DC input (120/12V) chargers available, unless without auxiliary power supply. And those are expensive as well.

And nowadays a lot of lipo's can be charged with 2 or even more C...

http://www.duratrax.com/chargers/onyx/dtxp4225.html @WoodiE would this be decent I'm only charging 2s LiPo's have 4 of them? A dual charger seems to be over kill! I figured I'd comment here instead of hijacking the budget LiPo thread!

This is the one I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamite-DY...658234?hash=item58af72cc3a:g:N5kAAOSwnDZT1oOa
not sure if it meets your standards but is a dual charger for all batteries, just needs charge leads for the NiMH. Im sure it comes with a balacing board [$85] from dynamite
Could u get the regular deans connector for it looking after looking at the price

I just use a Core-RC UDC-30 Charger for my batteries (50W 11.18VDC Lipo:1-6 cells charge rate 0.1-5.0A). I have the capability to charge the higher cells,but I don't use them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back