Aerosol paint for wheels.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IDK, but Home Depot has a sh!t load of different brands thats good on plastic. Krylon, Rustoleum and many others.

What’s the best paint or how do I get that anodized look for wheels? My next themed vehicle will need gold anodized wheels.
TIA
No paint will stick unless you prep the plastic first. Kind of like etching. A plastic specific paint would then be your best bet, as it is likely more flexible. One of the hobby brands used for painting bodies would likely be your best bet.

Yeah I need gold, but the ones I’ve seen for RC cars are the blingy type. I was thinking of trying rustoleum, but I need this theme to be as accurate as possible
Rustoleum is pretty good imho.
I've not used it on plastic but I used their "Brilliant Gold" for doing a hydro dipping project on a gun slide and it gave good results.

16 Bright Gold paint - Copy.jpg

18 - Copy.JPG

25 - Copy.jpg

You'll definitely want to be prepping the wheels first as @Notorious J said. A gentle shot blasting would be good or keying up with a scouring pad followed by a plastic primer.

Make sure the wheels are VERY clean. I put stuff like that in the dishwasher (I love my wife!) to get it "squeaky clean".

And use a good "high adhesion" primer before painting them.
Rustoleum is pretty good imho.
I've not used it on plastic but I used their "Brilliant Gold" for doing a hydro dipping project on a gun slide and it gave good results.

View attachment 57150

View attachment 57151

View attachment 57152

You'll definitely want to be prepping the wheels first as @Notorious J said. A gentle shot blasting would be good or keying up with a scouring pad followed by a plastic primer.

Airsoft gun?

I would say use SEM Colorcoat but they don't make gold, just car interior colors.
SEM is what you want don’t waste time with anything else.
1. prep with a degreaser and SEM prep or alcohol after you sand down with 400 grit. Best to use a soft thin sanding pad.
2. Use SEM primer self etch
3. Use color coat (gold)
4. use 2k clear coat matte or gloss.
DO NOT cheap out or skip a step :).

don’t watch any video

SEM is what you want don’t waste time with anything else.
1. prep with a degreaser and SEM prep or alcohol after you sand down with 400 grit. Best to use a soft thin sanding pad.
2. Use SEM primer self etch
3. Use color coat (gold)
4. use 2k clear coat matte or gloss.
DO NOT cheap out or skip a step :).

don’t watch any video
They make gold Color coat? Nice.

Technically an "airgun" because it fired 4.5mm metal BB's whereas "airsoft" guns fire 6mm plastic BB's.

I bought it cheap as a project gun and it turned out pretty decent in the end. I sold it to buy RC stuff (doubled my money). :cool: :D

OK....just saw you're in the UK. We'd call it a "BB gun" here. 4.5mm = .177 cal.

OK....just saw you're in the UK. We'd call it a "BB gun" here. 4.5mm = .177 cal.
Oh same here in the UK it is still called a "BB gun" and yes 4.5mm is a .177 calibre but the law here differentiates between an "airsoft" gun & an "airgun". ;)

Airsoft BB guns fire 6mm plastic BB's whereas any BB gun that fires 4.5mm (.177cal) BB's (usually metal BB's like lead, copper or steel) are airguns.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back