Affordable 1/10 scale aluminium shock upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the 3767A Traxxas shock caps, (The blue ones vs the 3767X red ones you have), and I also noticed the threads seem to be finer but I could get them to fit as Darren Wes has. Ultimately I decided to just go with all new Traxxas Ultra shocks which is what I referenced in my previous posts.

I'm not using the 3767A caps right now. If someone is interested in them let me know.

4 questions

1. Hows the fit
2. Are you running brushless
3. Do you take the big jumps
4. How long you been using them

Thought about buying piggybacks for my slash and use metal ultra shocks in the gdranit for a few weeks and decided to work up to them instead of taking the punge

Called arrma today to female dog about the front shocks. Said there are no arrma upgrades, but did send me 2 more b.s. front shocks. Soooo. Lol. Guess im gonna have to find my own if i ever want to go full metal shock.

Sounds like there will never be upgrades availible, but its cool, just wished they didnt say they were gonna have them for so long

On another note met a friend in the rc club near me that has only arrma trucks.... kraton, talion, typhoon. My god i want one of those talions.all i did was hold it and it just feels and looks like it could conqure a 8th scale track

4 questions

1. Hows the fit
2. Are you running brushless
3. Do you take the big jumps
4. How long you been using them

Thought about buying piggybacks for my slash and use metal ultra shocks in the gdranit for a few weeks and decided to work up to them instead of taking the punge

1. After some minor tinkering the fit is perfect for the rear. (see post #55 - http://arrmaforum.com/threads/affordable-1-10-scale-aluminium-shock-upgrade.67/page-3#post-2645)
2. Yes. I have a Granite BLS with the stock brushless system.
3. I think big is relative... It's nothing like what you see some others doing. I have a few curbs in the neighborhood that I typically use for jumps... They tend to cause quite a bit of hard compression when hit at speed, (which is why I popped shock caps a lot I suspect). I can get 4-5ft of height and fly 10-15ft or so I'm guessing. My landings are often terrible and cartwheels and flips are frequent, but the shocks have held up well.
4. I've had them for a little over a month now.

NOTE: For the front shocks I just superglued on the caps, at the recommendation of my LHS, and that's been working well also. I suppose eventually I'll have to try and break the glue to refill them but I have spares from Arrma warranty as well for that if needed. I will say that the Traxxas Ultras feel better than the Arrma shocks however. They travel much smoother. I attribute most of that to the bladder vs emulsion style.

Dang. Those fronts are the issue... after launching it they like to blow... the backs seem alright but those traxxas kind would be better because of the bladder. Tried to do it on these shock caps but didnt succeed.

Thanks for the reply.... gonna keep on searching ill find some evebtualy. Gonna try these caps for a bit. If they hold for me they will probably hold for you.

If not ill probably have an idea before the next season start.

So...i jumped the heck outta the truck today and didnt blow any caps!

Now with that being said i did notice that the frobt shocks seemed as if they didnt have oil in them by the end of the run.

Got home an checked them....totally filled. All of them.

So im a little stumped. Didnt break the front shock, front shoxk didnt leak, but acts like its only on springs....

guess the traxxas caps are a little tall for the original caps but why didnt the back shocks experience the same phonomena?

Its a bitter victory....didnt break the caps off the shocks didnt leak, but now thr front shocks are acting strange.... hummm

Gonna try and add bladders and see if that will fix it

I use the traxxas slash plastic shocks and I think the bladder is there to seal the shocks properly. also with the traxxas shocks I would strongly recommend using the tin coated shock shafts. They are significantly more durable and also they transition a much smoother than the steel shock shafts.

Guess im gonna put in an extra set of traxxas front slash shocks. Reuse the taxxas shock caps I got on the arrma now. See what happens.... so strange my shocks are filled and not leaking but it has 0 dampening happening.

So...i jumped the heck outta the truck today and didnt blow any caps!

Now with that being said i did notice that the frobt shocks seemed as if they didnt have oil in them by the end of the run.

Got home an checked them....totally filled. All of them.

So im a little stumped. Didnt break the front shock, front shoxk didnt leak, but acts like its only on springs....

guess the traxxas caps are a little tall for the original caps but why didnt the back shocks experience the same phonomena?

Its a bitter victory....didnt break the caps off the shocks didnt leak, but now thr front shocks are acting strange.... hummm

Gonna try and add bladders and see if that will fix it
You have a granite right.... Could you post what shock you use..... I tried a few and none fit right

Im using stock shocks with traxxas caps. They didnt leak but there has to be a better choice. The traxxas caps are 5mm r so taller and allow for too much air in the front shocks...the back seem unaffected.

When the caps have air in them they act as if there is 0 oil in them. it'll work better then rhe stock caps but no where near what you need for a brushless full throttle jumps.

Im gonna do a little more testing tho before I throw out the stock shocks with traxxas caps.

Gonna try traxxas stock shocks with caps next. If that doesn't work ill consult some others with what to do.
If it does I will probably try the back shocks as well... then move on to integy piggybacks for slash

I use the traxxas slash plastic shocks and I think the bladder is there to seal the shocks properly. also with the traxxas shocks I would strongly recommend using the tin coated shock shafts. They are significantly more durable and also they transition a much smoother than the steel shock shafts.
Sorry if u already answered this question. ...traxxas shocks all around?

So i got fed up last night and looked at the shocks... what happened with my truck is when i landed a rough landing i popped the shaft end in the shock because of the force.

I played around with some traxxas shocks put the metal caps on them and replaced the springs

The shock are a little long for the springs, zero'ed the unused space on the shaft witha 1 large spacer on each side. Gonna try them out.

haven't installed them yet but they look like they will be better. If this works i may tty to upgrade to big bores.
14467369489462015824568.jpg

New shock on left traxxas shock arrma spring
Old shock on right (excuse traxxas cap)

In the first few minutes of installing them. The traxxas/arrma shocks are way smoother and should be stronger (slash never popped shocks... so here it lays right now. Think if anyone wanted to just go straight to traxxas metal shocks they could just change out the bottom screw holes with arrmas and find somthing to fill the holes of the gaps in the top shock caps so they don't fling around too much
144677534670386582881.jpg
used some nitro tubing on the shock shaft to prevent a bottom out on the shock itself...should work

Well figured you guys needed an update i went to the track that kills my shocks everytime....drove it for around 15 min then ran it for another 5-10min untill my slipper pads went out and i wasnt getting any grip. So there it is...for now. I jist used traxxas shocks and used arrma bottom shaft screw holder and arrma spring... worked well no breaks leaks pops or trouble...

I run the exact same setup with traxxas shocks and the arrma eyelet on the front so it fits in the control arm.

The associated shock "downstep set" is great for fine tuning the length of the fronts as the traxxas shocks will be a bit long.

And also you can use losi springs on the setup if you are looking to fine tune the suspension.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back