Affordable decent 3D printer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad for you I guess, but maybe good for @jhunter with his E3 pro ?. It'd be a bit more cost effective to get the print area he's after but obviously not if he's really wanting a second printer to do simultaneous jobs.
I just want another printer to increase capacity. Larger is ideal but my main interest is in bl auto leveling, ability to have extruder mounted directly above a Swiss all metal hot end. And a little less noise. I printed a 22hr skull and I heard all 22 hours of it! That and I have multiple residences and I want a niiiiice on at BOO and the ender 3 will got to a place i less frequentl. Ive spent way more money on dumb useless poop but this has revitalized my drive to fire up the haas cnc and go rc nuts and other things. Ive had an approved form one got a hot minute but never got around to machining it. Been messing around with fusion 3D, Mastercam and sketch up. Making plastic has a huge learning curve when it comes to making strong parts. Im having too much fun.

I just want another printer to increase capacity. Larger is ideal but my main interest is in bl auto leveling, ability to have extruder mounted directly above a Swiss all metal hot end. And a little less noise. I printed a 22hr skull and I heard all 22 hours of it! That and I have multiple residences and I want a niiiiice on at BOO and the ender 3 will got to a place i less frequentl. Ive spent way more money on dumb useless poop but this has revitalized my drive to fire up the haas cnc and go rc nuts and other things. Ive had an approved form one got a hot minute but never got around to machining it. Been messing around with fusion 3D, Mastercam and sketch up. Making plastic has a huge learning curve when it comes to making strong parts. Im having too much fun.
Well if you ever want to make the ender 3 pro quiet there are mainboard swaps you can do that have silent stepper motor drivers that will quiet it down. Creality makes their own board which I think @jondilly1974 uses in his ender 5 and I use one by BigTreeTech in my ender 3 pro, both are popular and are plug and play. After my swap the only thing I hear is the sound of the fan on the hot end, probably one of the best upgrades I've done to my ender 3 pro.

I've not had experience yet with any direct drive printers or direct drive conversions so I can't comment there. Between the EZR struder and capricorn tubing upgrades on my ender 3 pro I've been pretty happy with it performance wise and never felt the need to pursue a direct drive option or hot end upgrade.

Well if you ever want to make the ender 3 pro quiet there are mainboard swaps you can do that have silent stepper motor drivers that will quiet it down. Creality makes their own board which I think @jondilly1974 uses in his ender 5 and I use one by BigTreeTech in my ender 3 pro, both are popular and are plug and play. After my swap the only thing I hear is the sound of the fan on the hot end, probably one of the best upgrades I've done to my ender 3 pro.

I've not had experience yet with any direct drive printers or direct drive conversions so I can't comment there. Between the EZR struder and capricorn tubing upgrades on my ender 3 pro I've been pretty happy with it performance wise and never felt the need to pursue a direct drive option or hot end upgrade.
I actually have the TL smoothers for the Ender steppers if anyone wants them. I have the silent board now and have no use for them. ??‍♂️??

Link to mainboard thats 100% PNP?
I just bought some Capricorn tubing and the bl touch system
Well see how I goes

Last edited:
Crealitys board: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMX9WFW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JBuCFbAHBSVEK

Latest by BigTreeTech: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089CQ3DHB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hDuCFbJYBE353

The BigTreeTech one is supported by a github project and they are constantly tweaking things with firmware so if you don't want to mess around with it and just want to install and go the creality one is probably going to be a better choice.

If you want to get more background on each search youtube for overviews and such.

Approved form 1, now your speaking another language I like?

CHEP cube test print done and wow! I’m a total know nothing about 3D printing as of a week or so ago and this $400 machine spit out an awesome print. Unreal, 4 screws for gantry, 2 for handle, and a few connectors plugged in it almost couldn’t get any easier. Admittedly I’ve got a lot to learn, but it can only get better from here. Consider me impressed.

Yikes that is good to know. I had not heard about this. Given the scenario where this occurs would you say 99% of the time the SSR will do this in the first start up and I would notice the run away early? I always watch my prints start the first few layers, since I am cheap and don't have the BL Touch upgrade yet.

Here is a picture of the newer higher amp ssr on the heat sink I made.. set it up to mount a 40x40x10 on top of it.. seems to work well, stays right around 89* at the sink all the time.. ?

20201001_155512.jpg

Here is a picture of the newer higher amp ssr on the heat sink I made.. set it up to mount a 40x40x10 on top of it.. seems to work well, stays right around 89* at the sink all the time.. ?

View attachment 102689
Does the SSR rely on a chassis ground?

Yes, and no...only earth.. that yellow wire goes to the base plate/heatsink of the ssr..

But is supplied ground through the input side running from the board...so, the earth is not a requirement, just a safety precaution..

I got the mosfets one in the mail this week. I need to make time to swap it in...

I have a matching set now. I love bltouch. The 4.2.7 board is QUIETTTT but doesn't work with bltouch v3.1. 4.2.2 works like a champion. I literally have these things going 24/7

View attachment 104625
Are these in your bedroom? Why the screen cover ??‍♂️?

Are these in your bedroom? Why the screen cover ??‍♂️?

Naw. They're in my hobby room downstairs. Truthfully, I ran out of stuff to print until I finish a drawing im working on for one of my 8x8s. I didn't want them to just sit there so I found almost every Ender 3 mod on thingiverse and went print crazy. One printer will be black and blue the other black and white. Too much free time. Ive been neglecting all my rcs....well as it relates to running them. Ive been designing a lot of stuff for them.

Also currently working on a radio tray / body mount system for my 79 International Scout. It's a miniature of my real 1:1.
20200920_124357.jpg

Last edited:
I am a newbie to 3d printing went through 3 printers before I found the Creality cr 6 se. Yes early models had issues......Auto bed leveling!!! Touch screen and took 15 min to assemble. A month into printing and really like it. I have made a few dozen projects so far , a few mistakes were made mostly my fault. I starting using Mesh checking for issues and cutting. Using tpu right now just made body clip retainers. After spending 11.00 on 2 sets and realized there over priced. And looked into printing my own. And wow so easy. Couldn't cost more then .03 cents each.

I am a newbie to 3d printing went through 3 printers before I found the Creality cr 6 se. Yes early models had issues......Auto bed leveling!!! Touch screen and took 15 min to assemble. A month into printing and really like it. I have made a few dozen projects so far , a few mistakes were made mostly my fault. I starting using Mesh checking for issues and cutting. Using tpu right now just made body clip retainers. After spending 11.00 on 2 sets and realized there over priced. And looked into printing my own. And wow so easy. Couldn't cost more then .03 cents each.
I’ve got one of those sitting in a box for the last month and a half. 1st one had to go back and I get hot and cold about giving it another go. Hearing yours is gtg makes me think maybe I should bust it out. Love to know your tpu settings also.

I’ve got one of those sitting in a box for the last month and a half. 1st one had to go back and I get hot and cold about giving it another go. Hearing yours is gtg makes me think maybe I should bust it out. Love to know your tpu settings also.
Nozzle temp 228 bed temp 50 and speed 30. I also used blue painter's tape on the bed. Best of luck , so far great printer. I also upgraded the software.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back