Senton After 1 month of running in 3s on old Mega...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pl9171

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
(Hi!)
(…) still no problem. No overused and no track. Just running a bit everywhere. We have a HR steel spur, stock ESC and basic brushed 550. How long it will last...? :)

Don't care about burning ESC and motor because brushless set up will come... :)
Thanks
PL

Hi
Not a full non-stop 5000 Mah. After 5-7 minutes, we take a break.
Last summer, we ran all summer long with 9,6V Nimh (for the first battery). And 7,2 Lipo for the second one. No problem.
PL

Wonder if the Teaxxas motor is helping? They are both 12t 550 motors, but I think the Traxxas has bearings. Maybe that reduces the load just enough to not burn the esc?

Titan still rocks bushings. It's funny how people seem to swap in the titan on these arrma megas. For the people who bought Traxxas rtr's that motor is the bane of their existence and the short lifespan is why people hate it! Is the stock arrma brushed motor really any worse?

And speaking of the esc, i wouldn't be surprised if it lasts forever. Traxxas's XL5 brushed esc was notorious for running on 3s and barely getting warm (but those titans died so much) so I doubt the arrma would have too much trouble. Sad that the xl5's now have overvoltage protection lol.

I recommend replacing the stock motor with this (those who aren't going brushless)
https://holmeshobbies.com/trailmaster-sport-550.html
Everyone likes them, only issue is that they released them so late. About 9 years late, would've ended all my titan drama.

Wonder if the Teaxxas motor is helping? They are both 12t 550 motors, but I think the Traxxas has bearings. Maybe that reduces the load just enough to not burn the esc?

Probably. We burned after 2 weeks the stock Arrma.
PL

I recommend replacing the stock motor with this (those who aren't going brushless)
https://holmeshobbies.com/trailmaster-sport-550.html

I did not know Trailmaster. 21t instead of 12t and «540 standard»... Intrigued
My daughter's Senton will stay brushed... So, I take note.

For the the stock ESC, when we put a 2s batterie (and turn on the power) we can hear «bip-bip». When we put a 3s (and turn on the power) we can hear «bi-bip-bip». So, the ESC recognized the 3s batterie. Right?

From that point, does a lower C batterie could save a bit more the ESC for a long term? Because 2,5s batterie does (or seems) not exist.

Suddenly this old Mega with this 3s set up becomes
a kind of a new ball game.
PL

Last edited:
I did not know Trailmaster. 21t instead of 15t and «540 standard»... Intrigued
My daughter's Senton will stay brushed... So, I take note.

For the the stock ESC, when we put a 2s batterie (and turn on the power) we can hear «bip-bip». When we put a 3s (and turn on the power) we can hear «bi-bip-bip». So, the ESC recognized the 3s batterie. Right?

From that point, does a lower C batterie could save a bit more the ESC for a long term? Because 2,5s batterie does (or seems) not exist.

Suddenly this old Mega with this 3s set up becomes
a kind of a new ball game.
PL

The Arrma esc looks to be a rebrand Hobbywing WP1040 a 3s rated esc. So yes the 3 beeps means it recognizes a 3s lipo. Also running a 2s should give longer life than running 3s but as with anything monitoring how hot the motor gets.

Still surprised the motor has lasted but if it has not been running hot I guess it will last awhile.

Link to Redcat WP1040 but it's the same http://www.redcatracing.com/manuals/HW-WP-1040-Brushed.pdf

Hi,
Here's the email than I received from Holmes Hobby yesterday;

«Hello,
Our sealed can TrailMaster Sport motors have a higher quality than the sealed can Traxxas motors. Our motors have a bearing at the output shaft instead of a bushing like on the Traxxas motor. The TrailMaster Sport motors are rated to handle up to 4S LiPo input voltage. We recommend a battery discharge rate of 35C or higher for the best performance. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Justin »

Ok, no bearings in the brushed Traxxas. But my goodness, up to 4s...? Really?
PL

Hi,
Here's the email than I received from Holmes Hobby yesterday;

«Hello,
Our sealed can TrailMaster Sport motors have a higher quality than the sealed can Traxxas motors. Our motors have a bearing at the output shaft instead of a bushing like on the Traxxas motor. The TrailMaster Sport motors are rated to handle up to 4S LiPo input voltage. We recommend a battery discharge rate of 35C or higher for the best performance. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Justin »

Ok, no bearings in the brushed Traxxas. But my goodness, up to 4s...? Really?
PL
Yup. I clarified that it has bushings in my post above. I wouldn’t worry about the c rating too much. For a hipo brushless setup it matters but for that... nah. 4s is pretty rad though. Like I said, I wish that came out when I still had a brushed truck.

Are we sure that he’s not referring to just the 45 turn motor? I can see that one being 4s rated but not the 12t.

Last edited:
First signs of fatigue yesterday. Engine is running at 75% full throttle. But I am still surprised about this longevity.
PL
Yeah I run a Titan on 3s in a rustler and in 5 minutes it shoots up to 177 degrees.

Nearly dead… 50% of power but ESC still ok...
PL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back