After making a few speed passes, can i cool off lipos in freezer before charging?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armenvegas

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Not very long but just to blow off the steam. 2 to 4 minutes.
Does this damage the cells?
I know im not supposed to charge while hot so i kinda cheated.... hopefully not myself out of lipo life. Lol
Thanks

Oh,...don´t do that if you don't like to kill you're battery.
Take a fan or something else to cool down, but not an freezer!
Also it makes less sense to try to cool down an 3S Lipo, because the inner cell is "covered"! ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, rushing it will get your middle cells at a different temp than the outside cells. I would argue it would be better to just charge them hot. Truthfully, I am not so sure charging them when above ambient is a bad thing given you use a low enough rate that they don't continue to heat up during the charge. Have you found any reliable info to the contrary?

Yeah, rushing it will get your middle cells at a different temp than the outside cells. I would argue it would be better to just charge them hot. Truthfully, I am not so sure charging them when above ambient is a bad thing given you use a low enough rate that they don't continue to heat up during the charge. Have you found any reliable info to the contrary?
Ok thanks. I haven't really researched except for asking the question here.
I only charge at 1amp so i should be ok.

Ok thanks. I haven't really researched except for asking the question here.
I only charge at 1amp so i should be ok.

1 amp? You should try getting more aggressive with your charging rate if you are really doing speed runs. I normally cook mine (7200mah) at 10a and I am not even paying attention to speed. Theoretically, the faster you charge them the better they perform.

1 amp? You should try getting more aggressive with your charging rate if you are really doing speed runs. I normally cook mine (7200mah) at 10a and I am not even paying attention to speed. Theoretically, the faster you charge them the better they perform.
Really? I heard the faster you charge them the faster they drain... or was that what you meant? I still want some what of a run time from them when i don't speed run them.(hardly ever, lol)

Last edited:
Really? I heard the faster you charge them the faster they drain... or was that what you meant? I still want some what of a run time from them when i don't speed run them.(hardly ever, lol)

That is basically saying the same thing in a different way. Your truck should, and let me emphasize should, be fastest when charged at the max recommended rate. The faster it is the faster your battery drains so it is a glass half full or half empty type of thing. It is just for that charge cycle so next time you could revert back to 1a and the performance level you are used to. I have never bothered to quantify this but it is apparent enough that I have noticed it before. Of course, charging at max rate is also not good for the life of your lipo but neither are speed runs for that matter.

That is basically saying the same thing in a different way. Your truck should, and let me emphasize should, be fastest when charged at the max recommended rate. The faster it is the faster your battery drains so it is a glass half full or half empty type of thing. It is just for that charge cycle so next time you could revert back to 1a and the performance level you are used to. I have never bothered to quantify this but it is apparent enough that I have noticed it before. Of course, charging at max rate is also not good for the life of your lipo but neither are speed runs for that matter.
Oh so if i want to go faster i should charge them at a higher C rate?
Seems kinda weird but thanks

Normally charge with 1C is mostly recommend. 5500mA -> 5,5A charging power with LiPo cells.
Charging all the time with too less power also working against the lifetime of the Lipo.
You should only charge with higher amps than 1C if is recommended from the manufacturer, some Lipo´s accept more than 1C.

What I do to cool down my motor and esc Is I use "air dusters." They are meant to blow off dirt and dust from electronics. If you turn the can upside down it shoots out really cold fog or gas. It could give you frost bite if you hit your hand. But it helps a lot to cool down my motor on my rc's. Never had a problem with it.

What I do to cool down my motor and esc Is I use "air dusters." They are meant to blow off dirt and dust from electronics. If you turn the can upside down it shoots out really cold fog or gas. It could give you frost bite if you hit your hand. But it helps a lot to cool down my motor on my rc's. Never had a problem with it.
Yeah i think thats a great idea. I seen leo morenos video on out science-ing the speed run. Lol smart dude. He freezes his motor and esc to get way more than normal out of it.

Was trying the 2 or 3 minute freezer thing on some SPC packs an all 4 of packs slowly dropped a cell rate on a cell.was it the side laying on freezer surface, can't afford to test it.

I stopped putting them in the freezer after i asked here in the forum. I cant afford to kill these expensive lipos. So ill just wait the extra 15 mins for them to self cool.
Better to be safe and cheap than fast and broke.

I keep destroying my pinion gears trying to reach 100mph and beyond. So far ive only hit 92 and a few curbs, potholes, and of course my shoes purposely to prevent super explosive curb impacts. Lol
Waiting on another spur gear adapter and some gears.

I let them cool off at ambient temperature and wait no less than 30 minutes to charge them.

For charging them, I always charge them at half of what it states, maybe once in a while at 1C if I am desperate enough because running out of light. This has been the norm, have done all my airsoft lipos the same way, using modded AEGs which push the battery to the limit. I still have a few after many years and charge cycles, using them on the 1/10th SCT. Have a small $5.00 desk fan pointing toward the charger at all times it is used.

IMO, what kills batteries is, back to back high speed passes, charging them while still warm/hot, sub-par electronics/ soldering, over gearing, storing them fully charged, let it them drain below 3.25v...

Lipo quality is sometimes hit or miss. I got B grade HK lipos used on the 1/10th truck and perform flawlessly, and have had Nano-Techs puffed out on the same rc, charger. Lipos should be warm to the touch after serious bashing, but never when charging.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back