Aftermarket esc fans worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO PowerHobby mount is made of very cheap material. The set screw would just dig into the metal and never really tighten and you could feel the mount move side to side. Even tried a larger screw and still same effect. Not sure if that makes sense but the hinge part on the mount would move and not the way you wanted it to. With the RadioControlPower mount its very solid and the set screw works great with it.
Good to know! I only have one PH mount, so I don't have much of a sample size. But no complaints so far after using some silicone thermal pad to improve grip on the motor. If the Radio control power ones are more robust, i'd just as soon purchase those for any future mounts! (y)

Good to know! I only have one PH mount, so I don't have much of a sample size. But no complaints so far after using some silicone thermal pad to improve grip on the motor. If the Radio control power ones are more robust, i'd just as soon purchase those for any future mounts! (y)
Oh that was you!! (y)

I know what you mean. The PH mount doesn't seem to want to clamp down tight enough. I wound up stripping the threads in the clamp. I just drilled and rethreaded it for a bigger screw and everything has been fine since. I saw someone on here that put a thermal pad on the motor where the clamp goes and he said it made it hold a lot better. Can't remember the thread or who it was for the life of me though.
Was probably me ;)

I know what you mean. The PH mount doesn't seem to want to clamp down tight enough. I wound up stripping the threads in the clamp. I just drilled and rethreaded it for a bigger screw and everything has been fine since. I saw someone on here that put a thermal pad on the motor where the clamp goes and he said it made it hold a lot better. Can't remember the thread or who it was for the life of me though.
I did the same thing with my PH fan mount. Definitely made it better but still had a nice wobble to it once it was mounted.

57EE005A-80BD-4158-86B5-D6B4C19F00ED.jpeg

I have three Powerhobby fan mounts, and I have had no issues with any of them. None of mine wobble and all of them are tight. I did have a copy of a Powerhobby mount that wouldn't tighten and the screw stripped the mount.
I may have been a bit ham fisted.

Not sure what that esc uses for a fan, but I run alloy framed fans on my esc's if I can and usually try to figure out a way to install one if I can't find one that fits directly.

On my max6's and blx185's, I use surpass/rocket 35mm alloy framed fans instead of what came in them. On my max6 in my kraton, I got a 3d printed top cover that allows the use of a 40mm and put a surpass/rocket 40mm fan on it. On my MMX6S, I removed the center out of the esc cover, drilled holes and installed a 30mm surpass/rocket fan on it.

The only esc I don't have an alloy fan on yet are the max10 sct, I think it uses a 25mm fan and it's held up ok.

My other rc's are micro/mini and don't have fans at all.

The alloy framed ones just hold up so much better to chassis slap and they push enough air for me not to really bother with those big monster fans people run off separate lipo packs.

Has anyone tried these?

View attachment 256734
Yeah running a pair on my MT410 that hold up a 40mm fan. Similar quality as the powerhobby stuff IMO (whether that's good or bad for you). Initially they would slide around the smooth can motor when jumping until I decided to also use thin strips of the silicon thermal pad between these and the motor for better grip and heat transfer.

In summary: Would buy again. Especially at that price for aliexpress.

IMO PowerHobby mount is made of very cheap material. The set screw would just dig into the metal and never really tighten and you could feel the mount move side to side. Even tried a larger screw and still same effect. Not sure if that makes sense but the hinge part on the mount would move and not the way you wanted it to. With the RadioControlPower mount its very solid and the set screw works great with it.

Never had an issue with them but when I install them, I do add loctite so it helps the screw to set tightly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back