Aftermarket esc fans worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladefan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
My castle mmx8s fan took an instant crap. I think one or two screws were loose and the came free and hit a fan blade. Which was broken. Should I get an aftermarket replacement? Do they perform better?
Thanks!

My castle mmx8s fan took an instant crap. I think one or two screws were loose and the came free and hit a fan blade. Which was broken. Should I get an aftermarket replacement? Do they perform better?
Thanks!
Yes, there’s tons to choose from you can go crazy.
6D6A19BC-E4A9-4096-A463-0FA667104CF6.png
307B33E7-614D-41B1-88EA-046F64AF4616.png

I’m going thru a fan faze right now. Was going to put this on my sons infraction just for fun!
E79A418D-4278-43D0-B1F3-D6294E7F5845.png

Normal fan blades break because the casing flexes, which is why aluminum fans last so much longer. They usually spin faster as well.

I'm also a fan (ha!) of the 40mm x 28mm fans. They move so much air.

If you aren't having serious heat issues then I'd go with a basic 40mm aluminum fan. If you are having issues, install a 4028.

Thanks!
Yes...the right aftermarket can make a world of difference but as one user said there are so many trying to find the right one.

Thank you for the input! Sorry for noob questions but where do you get screws for these fans? I think two of the homes are striped in my esc

Yes, there’s tons to choose from you can go crazy. View attachment 256569View attachment 256570
I’m going thru a fan faze right now. Was going to put this on my sons infraction just for fun! View attachment 256571
Hey bud, how do you like the double DDKY fan? Is the mount as good as the Powerhobby one? I bought the double fan without the mount but I haven’t had a chance to run it yet. Just seemed like an amazing deal and it looks and feels like good quality. I am curious about the mount, if it’s any good.

Hey bud, how do you like the double DDKY fan? Is the mount as good as the Powerhobby one? I bought the double fan without the mount but I haven’t had a chance to run it yet. Just seemed like an amazing deal and it looks and feels like good quality. I am curious about the mount, if it’s any good.
I’d say it’s equal to a powerhobby mount.

Thank you for the input! Sorry for noob questions but where do you get screws for these fans? I think two of the homes are striped in my esc
Part of this hobby is collecting screws and nuts, etc that are always needed.

Not saying you need this one, but when you get into those taller fans or even not so tall, you need items like this:
https://www.amazon.com/iExcell-Stai...07&sprefix=iecell+m3+screw+kit,aps,151&sr=8-4

Then you need a collection that is: 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22mm so I have a collection of all. Mods you need different screws at times
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W4CW91...industrial&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

These are examples not saying to buy these.

I do have a box of something like this. A box of screws from Amazon w an assortment of m3 and m4 screws of different lengths and heads.

However, the fan screws have a coarse thread and the usual screws don’t fit.

Or am I not trying hard enough? Gotta “make” it fit?

I do have a box of something like this. A box of screws from Amazon w an assortment of m3 and m4 screws of different lengths and heads.

However, the fan screws have a coarse thread and the usual screws don’t fit.

Or am I not trying hard enough? Gotta “make” it fit?
I just rethreaded the plastic with a tap for the fine thread.

I really like the mounts from RadioControlPower. IMO better than the Powerhobby ones.

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/12s-motor

have them on 3 of my rigs and they all work great.

IMO PowerHobby mount is made of very cheap material. The set screw would just dig into the metal and never really tighten and you could feel the mount move side to side. Even tried a larger screw and still same effect. Not sure if that makes sense but the hinge part on the mount would move and not the way you wanted it to. With the RadioControlPower mount its very solid and the set screw works great with it.

IMO PowerHobby mount is made of very cheap material. The set screw would just dig into the metal and never really tighten and you could feel the mount move side to side. Even tried a larger screw and still same effect. Not sure if that makes sense but the hinge part on the mount would move and not the way you wanted it to. With the RadioControlPower mount its very solid and the set screw works great with it.
We shall see! I ordered a mount and a fan. I have 5 powerhobby mounts so I’m going to compare the 2.

I know what you mean. The PH mount doesn't seem to want to clamp down tight enough. I wound up stripping the threads in the clamp. I just drilled and rethreaded it for a bigger screw and everything has been fine since. I saw someone on here that put a thermal pad on the motor where the clamp goes and he said it made it hold a lot better. Can't remember the thread or who it was for the life of me though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back