Aftermarket servo suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exl40

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
Total noobie here. Got a BLX on sale. Unfortunately, after one battery pack, something is wrong with the servo. It turns left ok, but centering is really slow. Turning right on a surface with traction doesn't really work, and on a relatively slippery surface, it moves really slowly. With the tires raised, it moves, but obviously slower than to the left.

I contacted customer service but it's the weekend so it'll be a while. Just wondering if anyone's installed an aftermarket servo, and if so which one? Not sure which ones are drop in replacements and which ones need further changes/mods.

Thanks!

When my ADS-5 in my Fury Mega gave up I tried the Futaba S3305 based on the LHS recommendation, but it felt noticeably slower to me. I ended up getting the Arrma ADS-7 and so far have been really happy with that one. I too would be curious what others are using.

I have the Tactic 45 in mine and it seems to work good. The 55 is a few more dollars. But with the price $25 you can't go wrong.

When my ADS-5 in my Fury Mega gave up I tried the Futaba S3305 based on the LHS recommendation, but it felt noticeably slower to me. I ended up getting the Arrma ADS-7 and so far have been really happy with that one. I too would be curious what others are using.
Ads 7m is the Blx standard, mine is slow but it isn't the slow like his so I'm not sure what's going on..

I tried the Futaba S3305 based on the LHS recommendation, but it felt noticeably slower to me. I ended up getting the Arrma ADS-7
It would feel slower! While the Futaba is more powerful, the stock ADS-5 servo is nearly twice as fast.

Futaba S3305
Torque:
4.8V: 7.13 kg-cm (99.00 oz-in)
6.0V: 8.93 kg-cm (124.00 oz-in)

Speed:
4.8V: 0.25 sec/60°
6.0V: 0.20 sec/60°

Arrma ADS-5
Torque:
4.8V: 4.5 kg-cm (62.49 oz-in)
6.0V: 5 kg-cm (69.43 oz-in)

Speed:
4.8V: 0.14 sec
6.0V: 0.12 sec/

@Exl40, I'm a fan of HiTec and Savox servo's personally. If you are running a 6V pack then the Savox SW-0230MG makes for a great upgrade as it has nearly the same strength as the Futaba above at the speed of the ADS-5.

@Exl40, I'm a fan of HiTec and Savox servo's personally. If you are running a 6V pack then the Savox SW-0230MG makes for a great upgrade as it has nearly the same strength as the Futaba above at the speed of the ADS-5.
Thanks for the info! I was looking at the savox ones.

I noticed that the arrma servos list their specs @7.2V but the blx bec has a max output of 2A @6V. So is it safe to assume that the started torque is a little less than the listed 7 kg? And how concerned should I be about the max draw from a given servo? I've seen some with a max draw of like 5 amps, but mostly I don't see anything regarding the current draw for servos.

There is also the Tower Pro MG 958:- 14kg/6V; 0.17 sec/60 degrees for only $9.75 if you're on a budget. Don't be put off by the low price, as I'm still using the older MG558 version of this servo after 8 years of use.(It ran throttle/brake duty in my 1/8th nitro buggy for 3 years).

Last edited:
The Tactic TSX40 has metal gears and Tower sells a replacement gear set for $8.

Specs:
TSX40 TACM0240
High-Speed
Volts Torque Speed
4.8v - 93 oz-in (6.7 kg-cm) 0.16 sec/60
6.0v - 99 oz-in (7.1 kg-cm) 0.13 sec/60

On my Crawler used: [much slower, but torque is the priority]
TSX55 TACM0255
Ultra-Torque
Volts Torque Speed
4.8v - 181 oz-in (13.1 kg-cm) 0.24 sec/60
6.0v - 203 oz-in (14.6 kg-cm) 0.21 sec/60

Just wondering what servo you went with. I also need a servo for a Granite. I tried a Savox 0231MG that I had bought for another RC and it is too large for the tight area of the Granite. I've searched all over for a post that says the exact servo that someone put in their Granite but all I find are suggestions. I was going to buy the metal geared Arrma servo but then I see bad reviews. PLEASE could someone tell me a servo that they actually used

A Savox SW-0230MG is a direct waterproof replacement.
Full metal gears, and more power and fast enough for bashing.
And even better, the BLX Esc. can handle it!

Savox_SW-0230MG_upgrade01.jpg

Unusual RC thanks so much bro. That's exactly what I was looking for. I love the Savox 231 and was looking at dimensions of the 230. Thanks again

Unusual RC thanks so much bro. That's exactly what I was looking for. I love the Savox 231 and was looking at dimensions of the 230. Thanks again

It's in my sons Fury for more than two years.
Only thing to be careful with, is the lining of the black plastic blocks as indicated by the red arrows.
These should be fitted in such a way that sliding back the servo in the tray is quite tight. If the fitting is too loose, the torque of the servo can move it out of the slots!

Alright looking for a little help. I have an older Granite. 2013 I believe but not sure. The stock servo crapped out and is discontinued. Tried to email Arrma but their response was to send a copy of the receipt and they would be happy to warranty it. Well no kidding it is out of warranty that's not what I was asking. Anyway I am having clearance problems with every Servo I try including the Savox 230 mentioned above. I see the newer granite's have a removable cover on the servo box like the one above my question is does anyone know if that Servo box can be swapped into my older Granite which has the servo box that splits down the center. I saw I had seen where the newer Granite wheelbase was longer so not sure if anyone knows if it will fit.

Screenshot_2017-03-05-20-07-33.png
Screenshot_2017-03-05-20-08-25.png
I even tried the ads-7 that is in the new Granite

Screenshot_2017-03-05-20-07-33.png
Screenshot_2017-03-05-20-08-25.png
I even tried the ads-7 that is in the new Granite

If anyone else has same problem I was able to make it work by grinding a quarter inch off the black mounting blocks on sides. I would still like to know if anyone knows for sure if the new style box will fit the older truck

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-05-20-28-14.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-05-20-28-14.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 36
That is a 2011 model!
The 2013 has a removable lit, as can be seen on one of your attached pictures.

I am not 100% sure, but as far as I know you can swap the 2011 servo box with the 2013 version, which would solve all your problems.

This was next to the bad diff gears the second flaw on the very first edition of Arrma vehicles. Luckily there are almost no other flaws to that ;)

That is a 2011 model!
The 2013 has a removable lit, as can be seen on one of your attached pictures.

I am not 100% sure, but as far as I know you can swap the 2011 servo box with the 2013 version, which would solve all your problems.

This was next to the bad diff gears the second flaw on the very first edition of Arrma vehicles. Luckily there are almost no other flaws to that ;)
@Unusual RC thanks for the reply good to know it is a 2011. I wasn't positive as I purchased it used. I just want to make sure that I understand you correctly in that the 2011 model that I have is the model that has pour diff gears is that correct. I just posted in another Thread about this but I put a 2s lipo in and cooked the brushed motor this afternoon. Lol. No big deal I kind of figured it would happen but curious about those years because I will go ahead and order now if you think this was the model. Thanks again for posting

Arrma does not add any number or code to the model to make up easily which build/type it is. Only the box will tell you, if you still have it. The order number is different.

The 2011 model is a good platform, since the 2013 model was a minor update. Basically all parts of the 2013 model will fit the older one.

The mega motor cannot handle lipo even up to this day.
If your model has never seen a brushless motor, the diff might have the old gears. That said, it would break with the brushed motor as well. Had one 2011 Fury once

I am running a Rage servo in my fury and have no problems with it, and it fits perfectly in the stock servos place , plus its metal geared and waterproof, part number is " RGRS142-16-6VM. Hope this helps

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back