Airbrush questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I want to be able to spray on liquid mask. I'm thinking about getting an airbrush setup anyway, so would this be okay?

In choosing an airbrush setup, what makes some so much more expensive than others? I have a large garage compressor and even though it's overkill, I plan to run it off of that.

Spray liquid mask? No idea. See if the liquid mask recommends a tip size to spray with. I used to brush it on.

If you need an Airbrush go with the Iwata eclipse i use the hp-cs. Don't mess around.

That airbrush will last you a lifetime and you can always sell it

I started with a cheapo eBay package. Was just okay for priming and other low precision work. The bets part was all the accessories it came with which I still use until today.

Some of the true Artist here have said a hlvp setup for liquid mask is their go to. I'm in the same boat tired of my masking tape allowing seeping. I'm running a paasche right now with a badger (got it all stupid cheap at a swap meet) but my next is a Grex Gravity airbrush and Compressor

hlvp is the way to go, a small airbrush won’t be able to shoot the heavy body liquid mask. I got a cheap one from Harbor Freight that works great.
Your going to need more air volume than you would with a airbrush so consider that before you purchase a compressor.

How about this one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/120-cc-hvlp-touch-up-air-spray-gun-61473.html

This is probably overkill for spraying the paint though right... even if it's all one color?

edit: compressor isn't an issue. I have a pretty big air compressor in my garage that I plan to use. I don't remember the tank size, but I want to say 90 gallon tank.

edit2: I found that the bittydesign liquid mask says to use a 1.4 - 1.8mm needle. This is nowhere near the size of a airbrush needle so I'm assuming that they want you to use a hvlp gun to shoot it. I'm having a hard time finding an hvlp gun that has that size needle without having a 20oz cup. 20 ounces seems like a HUGE cup for how much I'm going to spray. Having never done this before, maybe I'm going to spray more than I think? Can I get a smaller cup for these things or it that not really a concern anyway?

Last edited:
How about this one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/120-cc-hvlp-touch-up-air-spray-gun-61473.html

This is probably overkill for spraying the paint though right... even if it's all one color?

edit: compressor isn't an issue. I have a pretty big air compressor in my garage that I plan to use. I don't remember the tank size, but I want to say 90 gallon tank.

edit2: I found that the bittydesign liquid mask says to use a 1.4 - 1.8mm needle. This is nowhere near the size of a airbrush needle so I'm assuming that they want you to use a hvlp gun to shoot it. I'm having a hard time finding an hvlp gun that has that size needle without having a 20oz cup. 20 ounces seems like a HUGE cup for how much I'm going to spray. Having never done this before, maybe I'm going to spray more than I think? Can I get a smaller cup for these things or it that not really a concern anyway?
1.4 to 1.8 is a primer gun
Look for an hvlp primer gun?
It's going to be difficult to spray a tiny amount
There might be some airbrushes with a big tip like that ... This is a bit niche to be honest

Have you considered quality masking tape? It should cost between $8 and $25 per roll for a quality one. If your in the dollar store your at the wrong place.

Quality masking tape will give you sharp lines. It's good enough for 1:1 cars it's good enough for your toy

There is also fine line masking tape which is narrow and flixible. You do all the sharp edges with that and the mask up to it with the regular masking tape.

When I went to college for painting cars we had a whole section of our text dedicated to the quality of tape. It's not so simple and I guarantee almost everyone is using junk unless they are in the know

Good luck!

I always appreciate advice but.... I don't trust painters tape. It's probably because I don't know how to use it I admit. I can't even cut in a wall with house paint without it bleeding past and I feel like I'm using the good stuff.... blue 3m, green frog. I stopped trying because it all bleeds on me. I try to press it down because of course it will bleed if you don't get a good adhesion. I'm not dumb, but obviously I'm doing something wrong. I honestly didn't think they used masking tape on cars to get sharp lines, but then I had not idea what they do use. So.... stop holding back on me. What's the trick with masking tape then!?! :)

I always appreciate advice but.... I don't trust painters tape. It's probably because I don't know how to use it I admit. I can't even cut in a wall with house paint without it bleeding past and I feel like I'm using the good stuff.... blue 3m, green frog. I stopped trying because it all bleeds on me. I try to press it down because of course it will bleed if you don't get a good adhesion. I'm not dumb, but obviously I'm doing something wrong. I honestly didn't think they used masking tape on cars to get sharp lines, but then I had not idea what they do use. So.... stop holding back on me. What's the trick with masking tape then!?! :)
I'm in the exact same boat.
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the answer...

It's the tape. Those are the wrong ones. Just because it's so expensive doesn't mean it's good for your application.

Those are made for thick house paint, paint for cars is way thinner and need better tape

Sorry guys

Just checked my tip and it’s 1.4 worked good for liquid mask for me. I have a big cup as well you get a little more waste with it from it clinging to the side, Haven’t found a smaller one.

I should have taken pix, as I went but I can't seem to stop and do that... lol

Bought the $10 purple gun from harbor freight. Went exactly as I'd hoped. I'm kinda shocked, but that was no doubt thanks to all those here that showed me the way.

My son picked the body and paint scheme, it was up to me to not let him down. Ha ha...

20220417_220836.jpg
20220417_220848.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back