Airbrushing indoors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingpin

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hi guys. I've never airbrushed before and I have a kit here sitting from like 2 years ago.
It's an Iwata Eclipse HP-SBS with a 0.5mm needle kit.
I'm not going to be doing a lot of work or anything fancy so I was wondering if anyone paints inside without an exhaust hood?
It's just me and the dog in the house. My dining room is my RC room with everything I need and I'm hoping to be able to be comfortable and paint inside.
It often smells of brake cleaner anyways. :ROFLMAO:
I have a small quiet compressor from my picture framing days all ready to go.

I do so at times. It kind of depends on what kind of paint I'm shooting through it and how much of an odor it produces. I would probably advise against shooting lacquers indoors (not saying you can't but it's probably not a great idea...at the very least wear a respirator should you decide to do so) but I find paints like those from Proline or Hobbynox (I think they're exactly the same based on the scent) completely unproblematic as the spray from an airbrush is so controllable. But that's just me and my $0.02 :)

I do so at times. It kind of depends on what kind of paint I'm shooting through it and how much of an odor it produces. I would probably advise against shooting lacquers indoors (not saying you can't but it's probably not a great idea...at the very least wear a respirator should you decide to do so) but I find paints like those from Proline or Hobbynox (I think they're exactly the same based on the scent) completely unproblematic as the spray from an airbrush is so controllable. But that's just me and my $0.02 :)
I don't think what I'm using is waterbase. I fell into a deal where an RC shop was closing and bought somewhere around 30 bottles of Spaz Stix for $2 a bottle. I think they are oil based.

Better safe than sorry. Remember the airbrush is atomizing the paint into minuscule particles. It’s not about odor, it’s about keeping crap out of you lungs. Personally I use a 3m respirator even outside. keep the dog away also.😉
BTW, the Eclipse rocks!

Better safe than sorry. Remember the airbrush is atomizing the paint into minuscule particles. It’s not about odor, it’s about keeping crap out of you lungs. Personally I use a 3m respirator even outside. keep the dog away also.😉
BTW, the Eclipse rocks!
^^ What he said. With lacquer based paints you definitely want to use a respirator that filters out organic compounds like 3M 7500.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back