Typhon All blx share the same diffs??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Center diff for the Kraton, Outcast, Notorious, Talion, Typhon and Senton are all the same. The front and rear diffs for the Typhon and Senton are different from the others.

Typhon/Senton are straight cut and use a 13t input gear. The rest are spiral cut and use a 10t input gear.

Last edited:
Center diff for the Kraton, Outcast, Notorious, Talion, Typhon and Senton are all the same. The front and rear diffs for the Typhon and Senton are different from the others.

Typhon/Senton are straight cut and use a 13t input gear. The rest are spiral cut and use a 10t input gear.

Any preference on what is better?

If you have MT tires, you want the MT ratio (10t/43t)
If you have small buggy/act tires, you want the buggy ratio (13t/43)

Pretty simple.

No strength/durability difference between the style?

In theory, spiral cut gears are better. But, the arrma spiral diffs don't have much a spiral, they are easy to mistake as straight cut, so any advantage will be minor. Construction wise, they are all Sintered steel, and have the same tooth size, so same strength.

In theory, spiral/bevel cut gears have the advantage of better contact under load, hence being used in the larger tire version rigs. But like stated above the spiral angle is ever so slight but still there and very hard to observe with the naked eye. Don't mix and match. I believe another member ran into this problem after installing and blowing up his ring and output gear. (spiral used with straight cut)
I could see running a 13/43 straight cut in a Kraton/Noto/OC however. And vice versa.

In theory, spiral/bevel cut gears have the advantage of better contact under load, hence being used in the larger tire version rigs. But like stated above the spiral angle is ever so slight but still there and very hard to observe with the naked eye. Don't mix and match. I believe another member ran into this problem after installing and blowing up his ring and output gear. (spiral used with straight cut)
I could see running a 13/43 straight cut in a Kraton/Noto/OC however. And vice versa.
on the don't mix and match, I'll add

Once I did install the 10 tooth straight cut pinion with the spiral cut rain gear. It didn't make enough contact with the ring to even move the car. It just made a little bit of gear noise.
??

Reactions: SrC
Has anyone here attempted to under drive the rear or over drive the front much like Crawlers do??

If you have MT tires, you want the MT ratio (10t/43t)
If you have small buggy/act tires, you want the buggy ratio (13t/43)

Pretty simple.
Can i Change for 10/43T in the Typhon? Changing de diff and the pinion (both slight and no straight) or they don't fit in the diff case (typhon), thanks men

Helical gears do have a larger gear tooth contact patch and so the teeth are a bit stronger in themselves.. also a lot quieter too. They do produce axial (sideways) loads though which generates more friction and heat. Heavier Strengthed gearbox cases usually have to designed to cater for the axial loads.

Straight cut gears are widely used in motorsport where gear whine is a non issue. Far simpler and easier to work with. They are typically considered to be a bit more efficient allowing more torque to be transferred directly to the other cog rather than it being divided by the created axial (sideways) force. The gearbox case can also typically be built lighter due to not having axial loads to contend with.

I'm just surprised they use both the types in different 6s BLX vehicles. If I was to choose a type I'd choose straight cut every time.

Can i Change for 10/43T in the Typhon? Changing de diff and the pinion (both slight and no straight) or they don't fit in the diff case (typhon), thanks men
You can, but you will need to bump the pinion 2 or 3 teeth to keep the same top speed. Diff cases are the same.
Has anyone here attempted to under drive the rear or over drive the front much like Crawlers do??
For The Mugen overdrive, there is only one tooth difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back