Kraton All metal set-up for the Kraton 4s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin- FL

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Outcast 4s
I'm thinking of going to Hot racing all metal diff gears set-up for my Kraton 4s. Is this a Good idea?
if so- what would be a good diff fluid to use?

I'm thinking of going to Hot racing all metal diff gears set-up for my Kraton 4s. Is this a Good idea?
if so- what would be a good diff fluid to use?
I really don’t see the need. Have you stripped your stock diff main or pinion? I have only destroyed one and that was due to a broken chassis letting sand in.

I really don’t see the need. Have you stripped your stock diff main or pinion? I have only destroyed one and that was due to a broken chassis letting sand in.
Yes, I have stripped the diff and pinion (twice). I had my punch set at 5 and I have backed it off to 3. I really love the car, I am just concern with the plastic diff's and running a brushless motor. ?

Yes, I have stripped the diff and pinion (twice). I had my punch set at 5 and I have backed it off to 3. I really love the car, I am just concern with the plastic diff's and running a brushless motor. ?
I would think the aluminum yokes would be something I would try before the meta diffs, but that’s just me. I have them in my Typhon 3S (running 6S) and have never had an issue. I also run 4S in my Kraton and Granite with stock yokes and diffs. Only one damaged diff ever, again due to sand.

I would think the aluminum yokes would be something I would try before the meta diffs, but that’s just me. I have them in my Typhon 3S (running 6S) and have never had an issue. I also run 4S in my Kraton and Granite with stock yokes and diffs. Only one damaged diff ever, again due to sand.
Good idea. Is this the setup you’re referring to? See attachment.

Attachments

• E523222B-2ABF-4E60-A497-9301B753E023.jpeg
    E523222B-2ABF-4E60-A497-9301B753E023.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 65
Anyway even if you go witht he metal diffs you will have to get the hot racing diff yokes anyway or you might risk ruinning you 70$ diff. Try with the hot racing diff yokes first get a few shims to shim it the diff up mine was a bit moving up and down did you strip the rear or front diff?
Me too i love the car does everything i want it to do but my rear diff was always my issue after a month of use i had the clutch set too tight and ect experimented with greases but i think its really the diff yokes because the teeths of the ring gear or sun gear doesn't snap its the sun gear who starts to wear itself out like sand paper and become so thin before it fails
IMG_0845.JPG

Cought this one before failure

Anyway even if you go witht he metal diffs you will have to get the hot racing diff yokes anyway or you might risk ruinning you 70$ diff. Try with the hot racing diff yokes first get a few shims to shim it the diff up mine was a bit moving up and down did you strip the rear or front diff?
Me too i love the car does everything i want it to do but my rear diff was always my issue after a month of use i had the clutch set too tight and ect experimented with greases but i think its really the diff yokes because the teeths of the ring gear or sun gear doesn't snap its the sun gear who starts to wear itself out like sand paper and become so thin before it fails
View attachment 71790
Cought this one before failure
IMG_5818.jpg

You need shims the size of the stock ones who are 12x15.5x0.20mm and maybe a few 0.10mm
You bassicly want to have 0 slop on the diff ring gear itself and have a mesh who is not too tight but tight enough to not have a gearmesh like the pinion and spur
I personally don't trust is grease technique like how he said it a few cars might need a tighter mesh than how he did because of the plastic cassing the car you have is a basher so its going to go trought abused

Last edited:
The key is you don’t want it to bind, but you want it snug. A little resistance is fine with plastic gears as they will break in after the first pack. But you don’t want them sloppy. That will give them the space to strip out.

Was there sand or dirt inside the tower?
No sand or dirt. Maybe my punch being at 5 was the problem. I’m backing down to 3.
You need shims the size of the stock ones who are 12x15.5x0.20mm and maybe a few 0.10mm
You bassicly want to have 0 slop on the diff ring gear itself and have a mesh who is not too tight but tight enough to not have a gearmesh like the pinion and spur
I personally don't trust is grease technique like how he said it a few cars might need a tighter mesh than how he did because of the plastic cassing the car you have is a basher so its going to go trought abused
Great video. Thanks ?

No sand or dirt. Maybe my punch being at 5 was the problem. I’m backing down to 3.

Great video. Thanks ?
My punch is maxed on all my rigs. I don’t see a reason to lower it. I just try my best to use throttle control.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back