All round Felony rear wheels for Typhon speed runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentscott7

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Evening all, just wondering if anyone out there is running this set up of all round 53/107 Felony tyres for speed runs with their Typhon?

I’ve tried 2 sets of 42/100 Infraction style hoons and they just end up deformed and blowing off the rims.

Running a MAX6 with a 1650kv, 30t pinion & 34t Limitless spur. Locked rear diff.

I’m new here so any feed back “for or against” would be appreciated.

Cheers!

BF4E3578-5951-4CEE-A18B-60593E244971.jpeg

How fast are we talking.. the thing with the dboots is, they are heavy.. and they are not balanced very well! More for parking lot bashing and 6s drifting lmao.. grp's are pretty much the go to it seems like!💯

The heavier a tire, the sooner it will come apart at high speeds. You should be safe at 100mph or less, but be aware that Hoons have very little grip and stopping power is poor at those speeds. Have lots of room for error.

New ones look alittle better
Yh look like definatly balanced better
I do think when that they need boxing up when posted out too, not in envelopes.
Our postal services like to play football with our parcels lol.

Id like to get the new Grp and try them out myself too.

Yh look like definatly balanced better
I do think when that they need boxing up when posted out too, not in envelopes.
Our postal services like to play football with our parcels lol.
So they treat your parcels well then. Ours are used like American footballs 🏈 🤣🤘🏻

Is it fair to say that I’m more than likely going to be limited speed wise by the size of these larger Hoons compared to the smaller ones? Despite the power of that Hobbywing system?

I have actually noticed the poor braking on these wheels. 😬

I was told by a LHS owner where I'm at that the larger diameter will give you more top end speed and control at the expense of losing a little quickness and some agility at startup. The smaller tires would feel quicker off the line (due to weight) but depending on tire quality might not hold up as well on the top end. I always felt the more tire you put on the ground the better. Those speed calculation apps always seem to give higher speeds with the larger diameter tires...so I'm thinking its also a matter of how you set the suspension and tire weight (heavy tires can kill your motor and drive train). I had to give up on the Sweeps for this reason cause they're heavy like anvils. I'm liking at the 1/5 scale GRP cause they're not so heavy and the 1/8 scales are a bit too tiny for my liking. I have no experience with Hoons cause I've heard bad things about them ripping up and not lasting long. I've even sent some of my 1/5 scales to Gone Bananas for the foam treatment. When the weather here warms up I'm gonna run those.

I’ve seen several members try the big Hoons. They look cool, but definitely not going to work for speed runs. Keep it under 100mph like others said in previous post and you’ll be ok.

Is it fair to say that I’m more than likely going to be limited speed wise by the size of these larger Hoons compared to the smaller ones? Despite the power of that Hobbywing system?

I have actually noticed the poor braking on these wheels. 😬
The max6 should get you over 100mph before shutting off.
But if wanting to go over 110mph , both the wheels and esc could be limiting to you.

Time to look for some new wheels then I reckon, GRP seem to be the go to brand. Is there any particular tread or compound that would be best suited to 110mph+ on a Typhon using the MAX6?

👍🏼

I have not tested the new grp's yet. Tread and compound also depend on your local circumstances.
120+ mph only quality foams will due.

To quote myself in a conversation about tire size in a 185+ mph scenario:
I did some quick math to confirm my intuitive reaction that mass grows steeper whiles increasing the radius(volume) and therefor does not decrease the centrifugal forces at all.

F=m*(v^2/r)
input rpm doesn't matter, velocity on the outside remains the same at the wheels. It's 83+ m/s

120x100x40mm has 22% more volume than 100x80x40 link and densities of plastic, carbon and foam are all pretty simular and above 1 (i think)
In most scenario's the net force inceases whiles increasing the radius. So i don't think it will help with the ripping the foam part on centrifugal forces.
Yet, MTBF likely changes due to more surface&lower frequency of contact

Just saying ~100mm tires seem to be the sweetspot in terms of weight/strenght/centrifugal forces on 1/8+ scale speedrunning. For a higher final drive always lean for higher gearing

Not a fan of those 53/107 Hoons myself. Great for just tooling around.
Look nice, But for serious speeds, not the best traction IMHO. And Definitely not aero worthy.
Have them here on my TLRT.
42/100 Hoons are much better suited. Even better GRP's.(y)

20220213_015623.jpg

The max6 should get you over 100mph before shutting off.
But if wanting to go over 110mph , both the wheels and esc could be limiting to you.
Ok that’s exactly what seems to be happening here…

The MAX6 keeps going into thermal cutout after around 3 seconds of fully open throttle, esc is definitely a limiting factor along with the big Hoons which just want to lift the front end up so looks like the next purchase will be a set of GRP’s. Is there any particular ones that would be best suited?

With this current set up she won’t push past 159kph (ball park 99mph) so it’s back to the drawing board. If I could get to a goal of 180kph (112mph) I would probably leave it at that.

But god speed is bloody addictive.

A47BE81A-ED8F-4B88-899D-5BB725EE6D54.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back