Infraction Alot of wrong info on tp power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-BASH

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
I've bought multiple tp motors from tp power usa.before I order a motor I reserch an compare probly more than most.they have alot of wrong info on there website.inaccurate info on premium products is BS.for instance this motor I'm looking at is a 5s motor?? Max rpm is 78000rpms .do the math an motor will take 22.5 v before max rpm.speedrunning on 6s volts will stay under 21volts on a run....
Also alot of there motor weights are wrong,have Seen many typos on there website..I expect accurate info when buying a premium product..
Research, research, then research some more to make sure your getting something that works to its best capabilities

Screenshot_20220318-073626_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220318-062645_Calculator.jpg

Never used a TP but their data is a mix of absolute max and nominal.
The only limiting factor on voltage is the insulation resistance (600V or 160S) and resistance of the motor that limits the current. Any voltage spec is a nominal guide and can be treated as such.
Lot of serious people stopped using TP just based on their sketchy data.

The only limiting factor on voltage is the insulation resistance (600V or 160S) and resistance of the motor that limits the current. Any voltage spec is a nominal guide and can be treated as such.
For the price,the motors are great an much better stats than most all motors I've tried...only other competitive motors for speed like cordova,posidion,neu are double,triple the cost with less kv options..im tp all the way,but could they just update site with accurate info..I'd go throu there an fix typos if I could....I'd like to know the exact grams of every motor they other not 300-380 grams for a 3650 like they have on site.

Not defending TP Power at all, I think their customer service is garbage and their communications/website is sub-par.

But regarding the people who stopped using TP..... Who?
All the top speed runners (above 170 mph) run TP Power....

In the end you also just need to know what you need/want. Don't just go off the manufacturers recommendations.

Not defending TP Power at all, I think their customer service is garbage and their communications/website is sub-par.

But regarding the people who stopped using TP..... Who?
All the top speed runners (above 170 mph) run TP Power....

In the end you also just need to know what you need/want. Don't just go off the manufacturers recommendations.
While I got your attention,your thoughts on shortening motor leads on a XLX.if I do is it best to have them all the same length???and shortening leads on pack will help cut down ripple right..im seeing higher than I like logs from mini typhon,no room to install cap..1 more thing,,,did you see the 3 logs I posted on (HOW FAST THREAD).voltage spikes upto 18v with a standard 4s pack......thanks LibertyMKiii,your our official arrma forum speedrun president imo.always 100% legit addvice

Mainly boat people, the majority swapped to Neu motors.

Grumpy ol' boat guys LOL.

While I got your attention,your thoughts on shortening motor leads on a XLX.if I do is it best to have them all the same length???and shortening leads on pack will help cut down ripple right..im seeing higher than I like logs from mini typhon,no room to install cap..1 more thing,,,did you see the 3 logs I posted on (HOW FAST THREAD).voltage spikes upto 18v with a standard 4s pack......thanks LibertyMKiii,your our official arrma forum speedrun president imo.always 100% legit addvice

I appreciate that.
Lately I seem to be more of the "those who can't do..... teach" thanks to my terrible roads and limited budget.

Shortening the wires is known to help. How much it is hard to say.....
Double check that all the solder joints are good and the connectors fit tight. Quality batteries help some, but most of it originates from the motor.

Some motors just produce more ripple and the old XLX and MMX8s see more ripple versus the XLX2 just due to the design.

I had a 2s setup that was seeing 30% ripple even with good quality 21,000 uF cap pack added. I just accepted it.

I contemplated on these 2 motors for aleast a month before picking one...same kv,2y,same length rotor.1 has a 60000rpm an other has 58000rpm max.so both should be okay 20volts-.then look at the max volts on both....the 36mm can handle more ampss??🤷‍♂️...I ordered the 36mm for mini typhon.hope I can keep it cool enough

Screenshot_20220318-114013_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220318-113923_Chrome.jpg

Shortening is debatable but easy to quantify. Wire is just line resistance, the shorter the less waste.
Motor side. My guess, a winding is 1-2 ft long, cutting off 1 inch won't buy you much in real world terms.
ESC side is maybe 5" and you could cut this in half, again it's minimal as it's in line with motor. There is always a perceived improvement vs real world. Bigger wires and shorter wires are always better in this type of application.
Leave them all the same length or you will impact motor timing.
@K-BASH yes, they use different wire for the winding, evidenced by the listed resistance.

I contemplated on these 2 motors for aleast a month before picking one...same kv,2y,same length rotor.1 has a 60000rpm an other has 58000rpm max.so both should be okay 20volts-.then look at the max volts on both....the 36mm can handle more ampss??🤷‍♂️...I ordered the 36mm for mini typhon.hope I can keep it cool enough

If you look at the image that shows the chart of all the motor winding options and specs. Those tend to be accurate. The page you are taking screen shots of is not accurate many times.
the 4050 is rated at 19.5v vs the 3650 at 19v.
The 4050 is rated at 5kW vs 4.5kW for the 3650
The amperage does show higher for the 3650 which seems wrong.

4500 / 19v = 236.8 A
5000 / 19.5 = 256 A

Electricity travels at the speed of light so I doubt if one wire is 2" shorter anything would be noticeable.

Really just want to remove as much weight off car as possible for my amp draw experiment I'm doing.if I can remove 50-100grams by shorting wires I'm gonna do it.im going as far as leaving 1 gram screws off car if not needed..If I crash it over 100mph a missing screw in bumper means nothing.this car will be under 6 an half pounds on 4s ready to rock..testing a power to weight ratio by reading logs an amp draw...swb 1/10 is the lightest capable arrma for speed.
I'm weighting ever single part an if not needed it'll get removed. By running 36mm motor ill save over a quarter pound.120 grams on a 6lb car is alot..
I've had this build on my mind for a long time.could never control the 1/10 cars on past trys..after alot of learning I've got swb ripping high 90s like it's on rails..then after @Notoriousone ripped over 100 with blx in VT with no cuts gave me inspiration to buy 3650 an see how weight makes huge difference in amp draw.excited to get motor an start testing..next week the fun begins..

Last edited:
Really just want to remove as much weight off car as possible for my amp draw experiment I'm doing.if I can remove 50-100grams by shorting wires I'm gonna do it.im going as far as leaving 1 gram screws off car if not needed..If I crash it over 100mph a missing screw in bumper means nothing.this car will be under 6 an half pounds on 4s ready to rock..testing a power to weight ratio by reading logs an amp draw...swb 1/10 is the lightest capable arrma for speed.
I'm weighting ever single part an if not needed it'll get removed. By running 36mm motor ill save over a quarter pound.120 grams on a 6lb car is alot..
I've had this build on my mind for a long time.could never control the 1/10 cars on past trys..after alot of learning I've got swb ripping high 90s like it's on rails..then after @Notoriousone ripped over 100 with blx in VT with no cuts gave me inspiration to buy 3650 an see how weight makes huge difference in amp draw.excited to get motor an start testing..next week the fun begins..
Sounds interesting. I have thought about this also.
Small light weight rigs can accelerate and brake very fast assuming they have downforce for the grip needed.

More accurate and up to date motor options are available from r mamba brushless on eBay.
I’ve ordered a few from tppower USA and a handful from r mamba(Rafael).
I prefer the eBay page because he’s very responsive to messages and has updated data and new motors are up to date. They do take longer to get to us in the states tho because he is China based.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&sid=r-mamba_brushless

I emailed TP powerUSA for bearing info and they basically told me the Chinese overlords won't give them that information. I couldn't even come up with a reply I was so disappointed lol. I'd bet money the TP usa branch is the worst one.

I emailed TP powerUSA for bearing info and they basically told me the Chinese overlords won't give them that information. I couldn't even come up with a reply I was so disappointed lol. I'd bet money the TP usa branch is the worst one.
Email Rafael thru eBay, with his r-mamba brushless page. I’m sure he could help. He’s based in China and quite responsive. His info is also most up to date.

Let me dig out old junk tp motors I got.got a 4050 I burnt up an a 4060 I snapped the shaft on..you can have the bearings out of them..ill find them this weekend an send ya some bearings

Let me dig out old junk tp motors I got.got a 4050 I burnt up an a 4060 I snapped the shaft on..you can have the bearings out of them..ill find them this weekend an send ya some bearings
Thank you for the offer but I ended up not needing bearings. Motor was busted sadly. They replied to my email after I realized I didn't need them but I thought it was funny they didn't know the answer 🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back