already broken

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
so my son has already broken a steering part on his truck.
he broke one of the steering arms. seen here
IMG_20170101_102924.jpg

and the shock popped out at the top there. it actually popped out all the way, that pic is of me trying to put it back in. are those chocks filled with oil or something? it seemed really greasy.
IMG_20170101_102946.jpg

is there other things like a bumper or something i can get to help reduce him breaking so much stuff?

See if you can get a granite bumper to fit on the truck. What model is your son driving? The shocks are filled with silicone shock fluid probably 40-60 weight is stock for most kits. The instruction manual should list what it's supposed to have.

The granite mega. And is that fluid only avaibale at hobby stores? I'm a little shocked it popped off the top like that.
Pun intended.

Go to local Hobby shop they all carry silicone shock oil. I hear Pepboys stocks Traxxas parts including oil for the shocks. In a pinch you could use 3-n-1 oil.

Clean the shock good, where the toproblem screws back on, it will prevent it from happening againg. A small piece of Teflon tape can also be used to help prevent the cap from pulling out.

Am I supposed to fill this shock to the top or what? it doesn't really tell me.

Am I supposed to fill this shock to the top or what? it doesn't really tell me.
Google how to fill rc shock with oil for all the details. You can't fill all the way to the top. Push in the shaft 3/4 into the shock and fill oil to the top, install the bladder seal, pull shaft down and install the shock cap. That's what I do most of the time. Depends on the shock, diameter and length of shaft and the bladder seal. After you are done you'll be able to cycle the shock all the way in with just a little resistance as you get to the end of the stroke. All this is done with the shock re moved from the car, with the spring removed as well.

I've been having the same problems with my shocks (3x so far, 1 time is was 3 shocks at once) and from what I've read on here it is common. The shocks really aren't the best. I'm waiting on the STRC shock bodies and shock caps to come in. Once I've got them rebuilt and tried out, I'll let you know how they work out.

I did e-mail Arrma when it happened to me and their response is that they come from the factory with 30 weight shock oil. You can get it at Tower Hobbies or Amazon or wherever you prefer to shop online. I tend to run Associated shock oil in most of my cars. Its what my LHS carried when I started out in the hobby and it works so I've stuck with it.

can you link to where you bought your upgraded shocks? I feel like I may just run some 3in1 oil in there until I get upgraded ones, that oil is expensive to keep having to refill them.

can you link to where you bought your upgraded shocks? I feel like I may just run some 3in1 oil in there until I get upgraded ones, that oil is expensive to keep having to refill them.

Front
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFAD&P=7

Rear
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFAJ&P=7

Shock caps
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGEZR&P=7

I went for the black bodies with red collars and red shock caps, but they also come in other colors combinations of black, red and blue. These aren't complete shocks though. You are going to have to disassemble your original shocks and use the same springs and pistons and shaft etc to rebuild the new ones. From what I've read here, people seem to be happy with them. I looked at buying some no-name Chinese brand ones on e-bay, but wasn't sure on the quality so I went this route. Hopefully money well spent. We'll see.

THANKS! when I search for stuff like this, and other upgrades, how am I supposed to know what fits the granite mega?

I just went to Tower Hobbies and searched Arrma Granite. That or ask people here. There's people more experienced with the Granite and Arrma then me. I've been in the hobby for years but only got my Granite at the end of November

Go to www.teamstrc.com look in the categories on left side of page for arrma granite/vortex they sell some really good anodised aluminum hop up parts for the truck including aluminum shock bodies, stub axles, shock tower braces etc. Ive ordered everything they got cos all seem to be parts i have had problems with. Happy bashing

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back