Alright STOP... buggy time! Now which one? 🤔

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy15086

Very Active Member
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
I have been eyeballing a Typhon TLR for a while but figured I'd broaden my horizons, seeing how they discontinued the roller and I have the electronics I need. Is the extra money for the Tekno EB48 2.1 worth it? Seems like it's probably a lot more well built but not as easy to work on and obviously, more expensive. I'd be more interested in track running then bashing but not competing... I know this is an Arrma forum and thus bias but I feel you guys are able to be objective and honest about other brands.

Where did you see it was discontinued? The status on Horizon’s site is backordered but you can still get them from Amazon.

I have an EB48 2.0 and it’s a much nicer buggy but you pay for it. If you’re just casually running around, I’d almost prefer the TLRT for parts compatibility / familiarity with other Arrma vehicles (depending on how many you have).

Where did you see it was discontinued? The status on Horizon’s site is backordered but you can still get them from Amazon.

I have an EB48 2.0 and it’s a much nicer buggy but you pay for it. If you’re just casually running around, I’d almost prefer the TLRT for parts compatibility / familiarity with other Arrma vehicles (depending on how many you have).
I've built an EB48 2.0 and it is an absolute beast if you are racing. Way more than you need if you are bashing.

I want one too, but I haven't seen a sale in over six months so I'm real close to pulling the trigger on :

1000001008.png

I want one too, but I haven't seen a sale in over six months so I'm real close to pulling the trigger on :

View attachment 260504

I was looking at the Hyper VS2E but there is ZERO local support for it and any parts I need would have to be mail ordered. There's a local shop that carries a few Tekno parts but even that is a distant third behind Arrma which is a distant second behind Traxxas.

I don't think the Typhon roller is worth $420. I'm capped at $350 for that car unless I decide on something else.
I was looking at the Hyper VS2E but there is ZERO local support for it and any parts I need would have to be mail ordered. There's a local shop that carries a few Tekno parts but even that is a distant third behind Arrma which is a distant second behind Traxxas.
There's zero local support for any brand in my neck of the woods, lol.

Same here..actually, I'm sure there's no shortage of TRX Stealerships in my region🤮
I like the Hobao for the money, Tekno if money is not a concern..in which case, I'd have to consider an Xray as well. I internet order EVERYTHING rc related anyways.. not wasting my time driving,then listening to a TRX salesman spout off,LOL.
Tekno EB48 2.0 is high performance and fun to build. Mugen Seiki MBX8R eco even higher performance and just as much fun to build.

View attachment 260511

View attachment 260512
Very nice!! I haven't experienced a Mugen, how's parts availability? I have considered some Kyosho stuff in the past but seems parts are tough in the US.
Honorable mention to Team Corally, they can be had pretty cheaply, rtr only unfortunately..BUT, that TC esc/motor combo is awesome!!

Last edited:
I don't think the Typhon roller is worth $420. I'm capped at $350 for that car unless I decide on something else.

I got my TLRT roller for $369. shipped last year. When there was a "tree producing some fruit". I jumped on it. The best built Arrma I ever saw. Probably a fluke.
But honestly, My MT410 being representative of all Tekno rigs is superb. Wrenching should not put you off. The manual is the best in the industry, and because you built it yourself, you will have an understanding of how to wrench on it. Tekno diffs are almost indestructable. You will not be a slave to repairing them constantly, like we all do with Arrma diffs. Don't expect to find best parts support at any LHS these days. Need to order locally online.
Select a brand that absolutely has a good parts train and support. This will vary where you live globally. Sucks when you can't find parts support, no matter how Great the patform is. No matter the price.
Also, Tekno's are not "Ballers" ( no Pivot balls). Tekno uses C-Hub front ends. I honestly prefer them better over an Arrma PB setup. If you are into Baller platforms, Kyosho Rules. Just hard to get support here in the States. And Kyosho parts have always been expensive if you can source them.
With Tekno you get what you pay for, IMHO. For the build experience alone. Once you build one, you will agree. They are competition cream puffs. Even just for practice driving at a track. And there are tons of "Setup Sheets" by sponsored pros all over to use for setup reference. TLRT Track platform has Zero track support. Arrma does not have Race programs, like Team Losi and others do. And the Team Losi Racing "Tuned" Typhon has Zero resemblence to a TLR 1/8 buggy rig. Just the TLR branding. Team Durango had their Typhon Race based platform and Race program briefly years back. But it petered out years ago when Hobbico owned Arrma/TD.
AMZ bought up many TLRT rollers, and are still available.
Technically the TLRT roller is NOT discontinued. HH recently just decided to offer it as a RTR exclusively. Parts support will alway be around for the Typhon. A popular 1/8 Buggy platform. And IMHO runs best with a 4s lipo setup. For track use. You can't effectively run 6s at any confined track. Many tracks don't even allow it.
Pick your poison.
:cool:

Last edited:
Same here..actually, I'm sure there's no shortage of TRX Stealerships in my region🤮
I like the Hobao for the money, Tekno if money is not a concern..in which case, I'd have to consider an Xray as well. I internet order EVERYTHING rc related anyways.. not wasting my time driving,then listening to a TRX salesman spout off,LOL.

Very nice!! I haven't experienced a Mugen, how's parts availability? I have considered some Kyosho stuff in the past but seems parts are tough in the US.
Honorable mention to Team Corally, they can be had pretty cheaply, rtr only unfortunately..BUT, that TC esc/motor combo is awesome!!
Haven’t needed anything but parts seem readily available. Their Headquarters is about 5 minutes from me. My kit was missing a shim , I walked in talked to someone really nice and he gave me a bag of shims no charge.🤩

Haven’t needed anything but parts seem readily available. Their Headquarters is about 5 minutes from me. My kit was missing a shim , I walked in talked to someone really nice and he gave me a bag of shims no charge.🤩
That's cool! Pretty sure it's a bit too far to walk for me though,LOL.

I am lucky... my LHS is the poop. It did recently get bought out by one of the employees but he is an enthusiast and I see him at the track often. Im sure it will be just as good or better. 🤞 They can get anything for almost any brand and usually beat the online prices. They sell Tekno stuff...
Our local track is not regulated. It's just a dirt course at a large park called "place to play". It's maintained buy the city and the people who run their rc's. Not any rules except "no nitro". So, 6s isn't an issue. But it's also just sort of a freestyle, basher course.
Great thread so far guys. Very informative.

I am lucky... my LHS is the poop. It did recently get bought out by one of the employees but he is an enthusiast and I see him at the track often. Im sure it will be just as good or better. 🤞 They can get anything for almost any brand and usually beat the online prices. They sell Tekno stuff...
Our local track is not regulated. It's just a dirt course at a large park called "place to play". It's maintained buy the city and the people who run their rc's. Not any rules except "no nitro". So, 6s isn't an issue. But it's also just sort of a freestyle, basher course.
Great thread so far guys. Very informative.
Sounds great!! So what do the folks at the LHS recommend you for a buggy? Just curious. I have an Xray myself currently. It's an old nitro that I converted many years ago.. there's still a fair amount of parts available for it, but the prices are uh, "exotic" if ya know what I mean,LOL.
If/when the time comes, I'll likely go Hobao. But then, I've never had an HPI either..🤔😉😁

Tekno EB48 2.0 is high performance and fun to build. Mugen Seiki MBX8R eco even higher performance and just as much fun to build.

View attachment 260511

View attachment 260512
That thing is beautiful!! The one thing that blows my mind though..and I believe Castle is still stuck in the 80's with too..WTF is up with that relic of an on/off switch!!? 🤣🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back