Alternatives to "Lexan" Paint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjim

Old And In The Way!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Senton 6s
Just curious if anybody has tried using paints other than the special paint for polycarbonate/Lexan bodies.

I've read where some people have used acrylic paint, but I have questions about how flexible it is once it dries.

All I've ever used is the Tamiya paint for polycarbonate bodies, and it works really well, but yow....it'll drive you out of the building!

There are other paints available to paint polycarbonate body shells with, ..."Core RC" for example make a good variety of colours and the cans are 150ml compared to the Tamiya ones of 100ml.

Tbh though I've always used Tamiya spray paints as they're just so good. The price is a bit high for the small cans but they always give good coverage, have great colours and it's not like I'm spraying body shells every day so I put up with the cost. ;)

I tried Krylon Fusion........half of it flaked off on the first cartwheel lol. I used to use only use Tamiya spray cans. I have since moved to airbrushing so I'm not sure what there all is out there anymore. Just wanted to say that Krylon Fusion does not work.

I can tell you krylon glitter blast does not work. Wanted a body with that 1980,s glitter bass boat look. Did not hold up. I have used regular krylon white as the last coat over lexan/poly paint and its lasted. Not sure how it would be right on first coat though. Hers my glitter blast paint job which flaked off.
20191115_163615.jpg

Oh, we don’t waste bodies around here. I’ve been running it for a while with that body. It’s the ugly truckling...

SEM Colorcoat. https://www.semproducts.com/product/color-coattm-aerosols

Color Coat™ is a specialty flexible coating formulated to restore or change the color of most vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics, carpet and velour. Color Coat is not a dye, but a fade resistant flexible and permanent coating.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back