Big Rock Aluminum Ebay shocks and a Big Rock w/pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Came across some shocks on ebay. 40$ shipped. Wasnt expecting much, but for the price, I was quite pleased. Installation was straight forward. Added a few tips along the way. Hope some find this helpful. Im not the seller, but just wanted to pass on the info

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Big-Bore-Shocks-for-1-10-Arrma-Big-Rock-4x4-3S-BXL-Silver/233108412848?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Shocks how they arrived

These are the fronts, just slightly longer than stock

Next up, piston has 1 hole, I filled them with losi 40wt oil, cycling the piston up and down to remove air.

The upper shock screw needs a sleeve to help center and capture the upper eyelet. Some fuel tubing works perfect. As you tighten down the screw, the tubing will center the shock and keep it in place.

The pillow ball on the shock mount is off set. I put this toward the control arm to give the spring seat plenty of travel room. Add a washer so the ball doesn't dig into the arm.

Installed. The only bummer is the collars arent knurled, but its no deal breaker. Damping was much better then stock. Chassis no longer bottoms out. I may go with a little thinner oil, but for now will run with it

Last edited:
How far of a drop do you test your shocks for bottoming out? My Kraton 4s bottoms out pretty much no matter what I do.

How far of a drop do you test your shocks for bottoming out? My Kraton 4s bottoms out pretty much no matter what I do.

don't know anything about the Kraton sizes.. But..
I found these big bore aluminium shocks with rubber dust sleaves on BG
Spares for the ZD racing 9116 MT
And they are.. Really freakin ($12ish per set) cheap!

Rear - 132mm mount to mount
https://m.banggood.com/nl/2PCS-8002...s-p-1436241.html?rmmds=detail-bottom-alsolike

Front - 110mm mount to mount
https://m.banggood.com/nl/2PCS-8001...s-p-1436245.html?rmmds=detail-bottom-alsolike

I ran across those ebay ones OP posted on traxxas forum when researching shocks for my stampede. Seems they didn't hold up well for a few guys on there. Hope your luck is better.

These are the ones I have and did exactly what you did in the installation...only I think I used 50wt. They work very well for me and even bought a set for my Granite.

About 24 inches and then chassis slaps. I don't jump big air though

I ran across those ebay ones OP posted on traxxas forum when researching shocks for my stampede. Seems they didn't hold up well for a few guys on there. Hope your luck is better.
I have had them on my 4Pede for almost a year, the rod ends are a bit weak but no problems. I even went with the cheap ebay driveshafts and other than a set screw backing out no issues with them either.

And these shocks have been known about for a while, they are even in the shock sticky in the suspension thread.

I have had them on my 4Pede for almost a year, the rod ends are a bit weak but no problems. I even went with the cheap ebay driveshafts and other than a set screw backing out no issues with them either.

And these shocks have been known about for a while, they are even in the shock sticky in the suspension thread.
Good to hear! No leaks or bent shafts then?

I busted a rear shock tower on the brcc and these shocks stayed strong. Whatever that means but they work for me, I guess. On the ground too and not high jumping anything ...only roots and wot and rolling it. I bought another set even after seeing the posts of less expensive solutions. They work enough for what I know ?‍♂️?. Maybe the shocks encouraged the break but no bent shafts and ends are staying in place.

edit:

Last edited:
Nope, the only issue I have with the 4Pede now is I can't keep a body on it, I keep destroying them.
Yeah, they way they have the body mounts on their body is terrible for reinforcement. The front ones are so close to the wheel wells/edge of the body that you can't do much to add support there.

I did find making a roll bar helps them last longer. At least then every time you land on the roof, the body isn't jammed down into the body mounts so hard. The one I made currently is a T2T brace with supports in the middle adding support for the top of the cab of the body.

I have a probodyrc body to put on it after I destroy my remaining cheap bodies. Will see how that does as they still break around the body mount holes, even with taping and thick nylon washers reinforcing the holes. Then it will look like a mini-outcast... well, orange at least. So far, the probodyrc body on my outcast looks good. Only have one bash on it though. I also have a raised center mount to support the cab on that which helps keep it from breaking at the base of the windshield.

Yeah, they way they have the body mounts on their body is terrible for reinforcement. The front ones are so close to the wheel wells/edge of the body that you can't do much to add support there.

I did find making a roll bar helps them last longer. At least then every time you land on the roof, the body isn't jammed down into the body mounts so hard. The one I made currently is a T2T brace with supports in the middle adding support for the top of the cab of the body.

I have a probodyrc body to put on it after I destroy my remaining cheap bodies. Will see how that does as they still break around the body mount holes, even with taping and thick nylon washers reinforcing the holes. Then it will look like a mini-outcast... well, orange at least. So far, the probodyrc body on my outcast looks good. Only have one bash on it though. I also have a raised center mount to support the cab on that which helps keep it from breaking at the base of the windshield.

I've been looking at getting this one for it http://probodyrc.ru/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=106

Yeah, I got this one for my outcast:
http://probodyrc.ru/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=89

and I think this one for my stampede:
http://probodyrc.ru/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=108

I haven't cut the stampede one down yet. Was a pain trying to use an exacto and scissors. Gave up and went with a thin cutting wheel on a dremel and then touched up with a large sanding drum:
2019-0911-Outcast-ProBodyRC-BodyInstalled-Side.jpg

Not perfect... but good enough for me.
Back when I bought mine they only had black available.
This is what it looks like after more than a year of abuse, ps they don't like doing roof slides on the road lol.
P0xO63G.jpg
JTCRItt.jpg
nMdKqIQ.jpg

My main issue with the outcast body was cracking everywhere. Base of the windshield, up the entire sides at the door seams and of course the rear where the wing/wing mount/ground hit it. Eventually the body mount holes ripped through and it started splitting there as well.

On my stampede, they have the stupid body mounts so close to the fender cut out that the body cracks right there and rips, then it's downhill fast with cheap bodies.

My main issue with the outcast body was cracking everywhere. Base of the windshield, up the entire sides at the door seams and of course the rear where the wing/wing mount/ground hit it. Eventually the body mount holes ripped through and it started splitting there as well.

On my stampede, they have the stupid body mounts so close to the fender cut out that the body cracks right there and rips, then it's downhill fast with cheap bodies.
No cracks in this beast and I don't even run the body support.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back