Aluminum hubs. Pros/Cons. Are they worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMoelmann

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Mojave
  4. Notorious
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Talion EXB
  7. Typhon 6s
I have a cracked plastic front hub on my Talion and I'm debating on whether or not to replace it with another stock plastic one or upgrade to aluminum.
I have now cracked 2 hubs where the pivot ball pops out on a hard landing. I have a couple thoughts on this.

Plastic pros/cons:
  • Costs less
  • Less unsprung weight
  • No corrosion/binding with pivot ball
  • Ball can pop out on hard landing. This can be good or bad. Good because it can prevent arm or chassis damage. Bad because it can end your run and then you need to buy another one.
Aluminum pros/cons:
  • More expensive
  • More unsprung weight
  • Possible corrosion/binding with pivot ball
  • Longer bearing life
  • Ball can't pop out which is good. Could be bad if something else breaks instead.
What is your experience with this?

I put aluminum knuckles on my kraton. I think it's one of the few aluminum parts that is considered an "upgrade". I would experiment. Get some extra a arms in case they become the weak point.

Last edited:
I put aluminum knuckles on my kraton. I think it's one of the few aluminum parts that is considered an "upgrade". I would experiment. Get some extra a arms in case those become the weak point.
Did you go with Hot Racing? I think I saw some cheap no-name ones online. I also saw Vitavon hubs, but they are more expensive.

Did you go with Hot Racing?
I got Vitavon which I believe is considered a better product but I've seen a bunch of people using HR with no problems. There's Viatvon, Hot Racing, GPM and Treal that I'm aware of. Treal makes good stuff too!

Now that I'm looking closer. All of the hubs I'm seeing are for the Kraton. My Talion uses the narrower hubs that are on the Typhon.

It looks like Vitavon, Hot Racing, and Treal only make the wider hubs for the Kraton.

Now that I'm looking closer. All of the hubs I'm seeing are for the Kraton. My Talion uses the narrower hubs that are on the Typhon.

It looks like Vitavon, Hot Racing, and Treal only make the wider hubs for the Kraton.
Ah...ok I assumed you had already checked to see what company makes them for Talion. Integy makes aluminum parts as well. Sorry maybe a Talion/Typhon owner will chime in. Good luck!
Ah...ok I assumed you had already checked to see what company makes them for Talion. Integy makes aluminum parts as well. Sorry maybe a Talion/Typhon owner will chime in. Good luck!
You can try these no names for $38 🤷🏻‍♂️

King Hobby cuz I’m cheap, have 2 sets all 4 corners for less than one “name brand” set. Great fitment, machined 6061 is plenty strong before the composite arm breaks.

EAFB33B5-EC19-45A9-AA9A-B9F9CF308CD3.jpeg

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284302882218?hash=item4231c5b5aa:g:2ykAAOSwIUNi3~vf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284493389634?hash=item423d209f42:g:g9sAAOSwMqBi4ThN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284302880405?hash=item4231c5ae95:g:3EQAAOSw-spi3~Wa

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284457435632?hash=item423afc01f0:g:YToAAOSw8vJi3~iA

These are all Talion hubs form vitavon. Talion/typhon/fireteam/mojave/infraction/limitless all use the same ones. The fourth link is black ones with black diff housings. For some reason they don't have a listing for just black hubs but I am sure they would do just the hubs if you sent them a message.

Added a link for red ones too

Last edited:
$73 Just for the fronts? 😂

Looks good on the shelf without wheels however!
I hear that!! No thanks for me..
I will say however, I'm all in on the oversized bearings!! Plastic knuckles with oversized bearings would be effing awesome!!
C'mon Arrma, fix the small balls(bearing) problem already!! Jeez, even TRX came to their senses and upsized the inner bearings on their 8s rigs🤷‍♂️

$73 Just for the fronts? 😂

Looks good on the shelf without wheels however!
Those are So Damn Sexy!!
IKR?!?! Super precise too, uses PTFE inserts and fine screw adjustment for the balls. Throw in a ceramic bearing upgrade and a pair of titanium balls and they’re only $114.00! I’m just happy for the opportunity to assist David with his kid‘s college tuition. 😂

IKR?!?! Super precise too, uses PTFE inserts and fine screw adjustment for the balls. Throw in a ceramic bearing upgrade and a pair of titanium balls and they’re only $114.00! I’m just happy for the opportunity to assist David with his kid‘s college tuition. 😂
I'd say for a racer or speedrunner sure, but a basher? IDK bout all that, my name ain't Trump😁😉🍻

I'd say for a racer or speedrunner sure, but a basher? IDK bout all that, my name ain't Trump😁😉🍻
Agreed. Not for a basher, especially with the titanium balls. Mine are going on my next speed run build.

That is a great question, I have always wanted to purchase them, just never pulled the trigger. I have yet to break a composite one on my 6S Kraton EXB or Notorious. I do always wonder if there may be a hairline crack somewhere I am not seeing.

Any issues with fitment or longevity?
Not at all, bearings are installed upon arrival, natural poke-yoke packaging and quality control. 👍

Would recommend thread lock on the carbon ear screws, a couple started backing out on first run even though they were extremely tight. Tough and replaceable if needed, I’d bet these are from hot racing’s casting supplier.

My brother seems to have issues with the composite knuckles, mainly cross threading the retaining caps. I've done it a time or two over years myself.. he put HR aluminum on last year (Kraton and Talion) but they haven't really been run enough since to say how good they are. The caps sure do thread in nice though!!😉😂😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back