Aluminum hubs. Pros/Cons. Are they worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear that!! No thanks for me..
I will say however, I'm all in on the oversized bearings!! Plastic knuckles with oversized bearings would be effing awesome!!
C'mon Arrma, fix the small balls(bearing) problem already!! Jeez, even TRX came to their senses and upsized the inner bearings on their 8s rigs🤷‍♂️

Shouldn't that be part of their new motto..
Arrma Tough!, Fast! Bigger Steel B@lls

King Hobby cuz I’m cheap, have 2 sets all 4 corners for less than one “name brand” set. Great fitment, machined 6061 is plenty strong before the composite arm breaks.

View attachment 283475
Thank you all for the feedback. I decided to go with the King Hobby ones on ebay. These look really nice for the price.
I do not believe that this part requires 7075 aluminum like the chassis or towers. But damn, those Scorched hubs look so sexy...
Now I have another question for you. Do any of you use any sort of lubricant with the aluminum hubs so the pivot ball doesn't wear out the aluminum in the hub?
Graphite maybe?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the feedback. I decided to go with the King Hobby ones on ebay. These look really nice for the price.
I do not believe that this part requires 7075 aluminum like the chassis or towers. But damn, those Scorched hubs look so sexy...
Now I have another question for you. Do any of you use any sort of lubricant with the aluminum hubs so the pivot ball doesn't wear out the aluminum in the hub?
Graphite maybe?
Why not? Worth a shot. I haven't really had but one knuckle failure in the last 3 years. I'm pretty conservative as far as bashing goes though.
I had a tree strike that broke an upper arm and popped a knuckle off the pivot ball. I did reuse that knuckle for a period before it popped a second time. After that I replaced it with a new composite from JRC. They sell them complete, bearings, pivot balls, bushings/caps.. why not😉👍

White lithium grease spray after every bash on all bearing surfaces
Good call. I need to make a better habit of cleaning my rigs after running them. That includes moving suspension parts.

Good call. I need to make a better habit of cleaning my rigs after running them. That includes moving suspension parts.
Cleaning is indeed a good idea, helps find problems before they grow.. be careful lubing stuff though, lube attracts dirt generally.
I'm definitely not telling anyone what to do or not. I only lube bearings, and grease on sealed diff gears on my rigs, everything else runs dry. My take✌

Last edited:
If I recall the Hot racing are 6061 and the Vitavon are 7075 but hot racing is not listing there material any more so I can't confirm this at this time.

If I recall the Hot racing are 6061 and the Vitavon are 7075 but hot racing is not listing there material any more so I can't confirm this at this time.
I believe you are correct. I don't think the aluminum grade is as important with the hubs compared to a chassis or towers.

After a bash and cleaning a rig I have two final processes.

SC1 the rig to keep the plastic looking good

Cows Moo-Slick to hit all the moving parts, suspension, bearing, hinge pins, shock pistons if exposed, steering bellhousing, etc, that are metal that moves at a joint or pivots.

Shelf it until the next bash has been good for me for years.

After a bash and clearing a rig I have two final processes.

SC1 the rig to keep the plastic looking good

Cows Moo-Slick to hit all the moving parts, suspension, bearing, hinge pins, shock pistons if exposed, steering bellhousing, etc that moves at a joint.

Shelf it until the next bash has been good for me for years.
Might have prevented this patina?👌🤪🤣🤣🍻

16785557619542749924366584267954.jpg

Last edited:
Why not? Worth a shot. I haven't really had but one knuckle failure in the last 3 years. I'm pretty conservative as far as bashing goes though.
I had a tree strike that broke an upper arm and popped a knuckle off the pivot ball. I did reuse that knuckle for a period before it popped a second time. After that I replaced it with a new composite from JRC. They sell them complete, bearings, pivot balls, bushings/caps.. why not😉👍
Yes the stationary objects seem to do the most damage. I hit something solid and just replaced the front with a set from JRC on ebay. Basement racer is another good source for stock parts. I'm building a truggy with some aftermarket aluminum parts and installing HR on my other rides.

Don't use any lube that attracts dirt and grit; you'd just make things worst; I recommend WD-40 PTFE Dry Lube spray; I use this exclusively and it works well; it drys dry and doesn't attract dirt. Leaves a slick surface yet dry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back