Aluminum shocks for typhon 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up using the 4s shocks with the hr aluminum bodies.. they are 6mm longer than the 3s line... I made a 6mm spacer for the shock shafts that sit under the piston to get them back to the 3s length... they work well, but have to also be spaced at the bottom so the spring perch doesn't rub the shaft and arm.. I also noticed the hr bodies have a tighter tolerance where the piston fits in the body, requiring lighter oil than i typically use...

Last edited:
I ended up using the 4s shocks with the hr aluminum bodies.. they are 6mm longer than the 3s line... I made a 6mm spacer for the shock shafts that sit under the piston to get them back to the 3s length... they work well, but net to also be spaced at the bottom so the spring perch doesn't rub the shaft and arm.. I also noticed the hr bodies have a tighter tolerance where the piston fits in the body, requiring lighter oil than i typically use...
I was wondering about this. Initially I was going to use 80 weight based on forum suggestions but decided to do 60 weight instead. What did you end up choosing?
I was wondering about this. Initially I was going to use 80 weight based on forum suggestions but decided to do 60 weight instead. What did you end up choosing?
I may change it to 35 though...

I may change it to 35 though...

In my 3s plastic shocks I run 80wt with good dampening and no "oil bounce" (there is a point where to thick and you get a bounce because the piston just cant pass enough oil fast enough)

I do not have experience with the 3s hr bodies...

80wt in the 4s hr bodies may as well be a pogo stick.. (major oil bounce) I found 30wt-40wt was a much better option..

Weight is a personal preference. I hate hearing my chassis slap from a 1 ft jump. I know it’s needed on big jumps, but small jumps too? Nah. I run 80W. It will still slap from 4-5 ft drops.

for front shocks I used Mugen 110mm (I think, I threw out the package before saw this) and 70 wt oil. It's night and day from the stock shocks. I want to upgrade the rear so I'm searching for it now. BTW I intent to race my 3s at local track, so this may not be the best for bashing. The stock springs are lot stiffer,

I was just tuning up my 3s when I noticed the rear shock leaking, is this normal? I also attached photo of the Mugen? (I think it could be Integy) shocks.

Edit: I never even powered up the 3s, I'm upgrading the servo, radio, and the esc connector (maybe not upgrade, but change).

Attachments

• IMG-1505.jpg
    IMG-1505.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-1506.jpg
    IMG-1506.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 51
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back