Typhon am i making the right choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwnm2

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
just starting out in the hobby and wondering if I;ve got the right vehicle in mind. I'm not looking to race, just wanting something exciting to rip around with. I live on a farm, and have very large areas of hard packed gravel. Not really looking to jump or mud with a car, just want something fast, handles well, skids around etc. Based on the current sale i'm leaning towards the Typhon. I've also considered the mojave (I like the larger size but in videos they seem to be upside down a lot). The talion would be awesome but its too much money. I was really drawn to the infraction but that doesn't seem to be well suited for gravel.
any thoughts/advice is appreciated

You posted in the 4x4 forum, so I'm going to assume you are looking at the 3s Typhon. Based upon your land and usage description, the Typhon is a perfect fit. The Typhon is a very nimble vehicle and with a swap of the tires/wheels, can go from an off road vehicle to an on road vehicle in a matter of a minute, making it a very versatile car.

While I don't have a 3s Typhon, my neighbor does and I do all his repairs and maintenance. (I'm not sure he knows the difference between a hammer and a screw driver TBH.). I much prefer working on my 6s Typhon over his 3s Typhon. The 3s line is a great starting point, but once you get into it, you may find yourself looking for a little more and the 6s Typhon will give that to you. You can run the 6s Typhon on a 3s, 4s, or 6s battery. I prefer 4s myself.

No matter what you get yourself, you'll have a good time for sure! Start the throttle limiter on 50% until you get used to it and slowly move the throttle limiter up as you get more confident in your driving. Watch out for those pesky trees, road signs, and fence posts... You'll be amazed how they always jump into your path of travel when you least expect it!

just starting out in the hobby and wondering if I;ve got the right vehicle in mind. I'm not looking to race, just wanting something exciting to rip around with. I live on a farm, and have very large areas of hard packed gravel. Not really looking to jump or mud with a car, just want something fast, handles well, skids around etc. Based on the current sale i'm leaning towards the Typhon. I've also considered the mojave (I like the larger size but in videos they seem to be upside down a lot). The talion would be awesome but its too much money. I was really drawn to the infraction but that doesn't seem to be well suited for gravel.

Welcome...

If the Fireteam sale was still active, I would say the Fireteam!

I have a Typhon the TLR model. I love it, but it does not handle the bumpy terrain well since it is so low I am not a fan of putting offroad tires on it so I cannot speak on that performance. I have a Talion EXB, and I would say the same for it. Yes, it has more height clearance than the Typhon, but with both, I must be very selective on where I take them to bash. If the environment is too rough, bumpy, or not somewhat smooth, the fun factor is not there for me. If your choice were only those two, the Talion!

My vote would be for the Fireteam. It stays upright more and is a stable basher and great across any surface. I would say the Kraton second, but I did make mine a bit wider with the M2C hex extenders, and it stays on its feet for me and is great over almost all surfaces. There are some 4S versions of the Kraton, etc, but I do not own any.

Get more feedback and best of luck on a choice!! (y)

With the current sale ($399) the Typhon 6S RTR seems like a great place to start. I have seen it on sale quite a bit and have always wondered if the car needed a little "push" to get those sales numbers up. My guess is people gravitate towards the Kraton and Talion.

I really like the body and how well it protects the electronics. When I drove my friends Typhon it was a lot of fun but the center diff fluid did seem too low of weight, I didn't like the front tires losing traction on acceleration so often..

My first basher was an Arrma Typhon 3s that I bought about two years ago. I loved it then, and I love it still. I run mine mostly on dirt and grass in my backyard with an occasional street run: I have different tires for each type of running. I do not jump it. I've since purchased a Kraton 6s and an Infraction 3s, plus some other bashers (Traxxas and Corally), but the Typhon 3s still gets a fair amount of use and will always be special to me because it was my first basher.

Based on the current sale i'm leaning towards the Typhon.
If you are referring to the 6s Typhon, I say get one. I got one last week and liked it so much I ordered a 2nd one before I even drove the 1st one, then I had $75 in rewards points so I bought another one for $325 + Tax and S/H. :cool:

I finally did drive it on 6s in stock form the other day on wet pavement and it is a blast. I can't wait to get it geared up to 27/46 with some Hoons and try it on dry pavement. :LOL:

If you’re looking @ the 6s Typhon I say go for it!! Hard to beat the $400 sales going on right now. Sounds like the terrain you'll be driving on would suit the typhon well. They're just a very versatile rig, if you get tired/bored with a certain setup you can easily change it's handling characteristics w/ a simple tire swap. I've got 3 of em now, but have them each set up very differently. One that's still on the typhon chassis that's decked out w/ m2c parts, one stretched- strictly for speed running, then one stretched that's basically a Mojave w/ the typhon body. They're all awesome!
Anyway, if you go w/ the 6s Typhon I don't think you'll be disappointed 🙂👍🤘

You posted in the 4x4 forum, so I'm going to assume you are looking at the 3s Typhon. Based upon your land and usage description, the Typhon is a perfect fit. The Typhon is a very nimble vehicle and with a swap of the tires/wheels, can go from an off road vehicle to an on road vehicle in a matter of a minute, making it a very versatile car.

While I don't have a 3s Typhon, my neighbor does and I do all his repairs and maintenance. (I'm not sure he knows the difference between a hammer and a screw driver TBH.). I much prefer working on my 6s Typhon over his 3s Typhon. The 3s line is a great starting point, but once you get into it, you may find yourself looking for a little more and the 6s Typhon will give that to you. You can run the 6s Typhon on a 3s, 4s, or 6s battery. I prefer 4s myself.

No matter what you get yourself, you'll have a good time for sure! Start the throttle limiter on 50% until you get used to it and slowly move the throttle limiter up as you get more confident in your driving. Watch out for those pesky trees, road signs, and fence posts... You'll be amazed how they always jump into your path of travel when you least expect it!
Great advice.. couldn't have said it better 👍😁

thanks everyone for the responses, what a great community here. Yes I was considering the 6S because of the current sale. I'm sure I will be happy with it. how often does Arrma have sales?
so i just noticed a local dealer still has the fireteam on sale.....

thanks everyone for the responses, what a great community here. Yes I was considering the 6S because of the current sale. I'm sure I will be happy with it. how often does Arrma have sales?
Multiple times a year in the US, they are just trying to get "RC Addicts" to collect them all. 😆

It's working 👀

Allways consider buying from your lhs first .they need our support more now than ever.they are disappearing very quickly.but everyone's wallets are not the same .many can't offord some of the lhs prices.they can't compete to the bigger C's.jennys is a great place to buy from I go there if my lhs can't get me what I need .
Multiple times a year in the US, they are just trying to get "RC Addicts" to collect them all. 😆

It's working 👀
Or many buy them at a great price and turn around and sell them on line for more .I know many that do that.some hold on to them and wait to be discontinued then sell for a high profit.

the fireteam seems to have some problems from what i'm reading
That's what I've heard also..Im not familiar much with the off road line that arrma offers due to I'm not a off road basher but I haven't heard much good things in threads here about the fire team.gladd I don't have one

Or many buy them at a great price and turn around and sell them on line for more .I know many that do that.some hold on to them and wait to be discontinued then sell for a high profit.
I am really not sure how people make money on these...

Most local sales I see are way under market. Ebay I can't see making much after shipping and the 15%? they charge.

When Horizon has a sale, I feel like the prices are about what they should be :LOL:.

I am really not sure how people make money on these...

Most local sales I see are way under market. Ebay I can't see making much after shipping and the 15%? they charge.

When Horizon has a sale, I feel like the prices are about what they should be :LOL:.
All 6 of the Arrma cars I have bought since September were on sale (as were the 3 Drag Slashes I bought in early September). It is hard to pass up when they are 20 - 40 percent off. :LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back