American cars in Europe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me started on Jeeps...
rolling_eyes_neil_degrasse_tyson.gif

There's this thing called 'American day' here (just look up american day Nederweert). It's a bunch of American things showed, but it's mostly people with restored or modded classic cars and trucks. douses of old pickups and caddies, and some hot rods. It's beautiful. There's even a Ghostbusters ambulance sometimes
They also show RC's. It's how I got to know the hobby

If you compare apples to apples, the Ram 1500 could be had for less than the F150, at least here in the US. Don't know how this translates to their numbers in Europe.

Why drive a Ford or Ram in Europe, when you could drive a MB Unimog? Off-road capable is a concept that is unabashedly watered-down in the US.

Why drive a Ford or Ram in Europe, when you could drive a MB Unimog? Off-road capable is a concept that is unabashedly watered-down in the US.
Officially it's a tractor. That has pros and cons.

Pros: portal axles, PTO, hydraulic connections, you can drive one when you're 16 instead of 18, simply the best

Cons: not allowed on highway, less luxury

One guy at our school has an unimog. I think he graduated, because I don't see it at the parking lot anymore

Last edited:
Most trucks are not that capable off-road. And that's because the market has moved in that direction. It used to be that a truck was capable, simple, cheap, and good in rough terrain, even the base models. It also meant that trucks were loud, rough, uncomfortable, inefficient, and often less safe than cars in accidents.

People began to demand that trucks be capable of more than hauling a 4x8 sheet of plywood through a rough two-track. The cab size was increased so you could safely bring the whole family (not throw the kids in the bed). They were made to ride more like cars, be more fuel-efficient, more comfortable, more luxury, etc.

Many feel that real trucks were lost in this, but what was gained, was something that made trucks just about the most popular vehicle in the United States. You now have a comfortable, relatively efficient vehicle that you can take your whole family out to dinner or church in and also throw some mulch in the back and not wreck your interior. In addition, you can tow your boat or rv to the family vacation in comfort. Trucks are the Swiss Army knife of vehicles in the US.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back