Ammo Box Lipo Charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LipoShirly

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Voltage
Just started in this hobby about a year ago, thought I would share my Ammo box Lipo charger and how it evolved. Like many on the forum, given the opportunity to purchase a complete working product, I decided instead to build my own and spend twice the time and money doing it. Also like many others, my understanding of lipos and the inherent danger has gone from completely clueless and reckless ( I actually charged a lipo on my kitchen table ) to " Oh my god these things are gonna blow any second" to finally understanding how relatively safe 99.9% of all lipos actually are if handled properly, but to always be ready for that .1% ( I don't charge in the house anymore).
On to the charger.. when I placed a $20 lipo bag from Amazon directly into an ammo box I realized there was enough room for a power supply as well. Mount the controller to the outside and its now a relatively safe portable charging station. The first version used an old Dell Laptop supply. Plenty of voltage but current was limited to about 8 amps (but it was free). The second version shown below uses a MeanWell power supply rated at 10amps ($25). My goal is to mount a second ISDT Nano to the case so I can dual charge some of my smaller capacity (2200mA) batteries. I built the charger around my current needs. I'm running 2 of the Typhon 3S buggies for my grandson and I, so 2S and 3S batts up to 5700mA. I placed all the STLs on Thingiverse, and they can be found here... https://www.thingiverse.com/liposhirly/designs , there is a summary writeup included there.

Advantages (things I like about the setup).
I built 2 so I essentially have a dual charger.....
I used the ISDT Q6 Nano chargers, good little inexpensive controller with many features.
Using individual pieces (power supply and controllers) cost me more money but..... if any one of them fails I can easily and cheaply replace only that item, rather than buying an entire new dual charger.
I got to use a lot of tools......

Disadvantages (things I don't like about the setup).
The MeanWell supply is only rated at 10amps. I plan on turning that box into a dual charger for the 5700mA batts, but will have to limit charging current to 5amps each. Should have gone with the slightly higher wattage supply.
I used the ISDT Q6 Nano charger. Don't get me wrong, I do like these controllers, but the one button menu system can be frustrating. The other thing I recently learned about the Nanos is this, I assumed charge speed was based only on the available charging current, therefore my Q6 nano could charge as fast as any $$$$ charger. Balance charging uses the smaller leads to discharge the individual cells during a charge cycle to try and keep them close (balanced), the nano can do this but is limited to about half the discharge current of what the $$$$ chargers can do, therefore it is slower to final charge. On a good battery that stays pretty well balanced charged I don't think its a problem, I go from storage to full in about 20 minutes.
These Harbor Freight ammo boxes are tough, anytime you drill into them it creates extremely sharp edges and burrs. I highly recommend Greenlee dies for the larger openings....

There are enough openings in the box for wires and cooling that I put the seal back into the lid. I took it out originally for safety reasons, but it doesn't stay latched very well without it. And with that said, NEVER PUT A LIPO INTO A COMPLETLY SEALED AMMO BOX.

Overall the pair of chargers fits my needs pretty well right now, I like the portability they provide.
I would NOT recommend carrying this thing into an airport, although that probably goes for anything labeled AMMO BOX.

PXL_20211105_015234033.jpg
Charger6.jpg

Charger4.jpg

Charger1.jpg

PXL_20211105_015557633.jpg

PXL_20210426_213012287.jpg

Very nice job. Completely functional. Your charger setup works for you and your lipo's. I run 6s lipos and a have a the medium Batsafe. TBH, I think it is cumbersome. Yet safe enough.
Lipo bags alone are completely useless for high capacity High volt packs. Yet many feel safe with them.:unsure: I have the same lipo bag. Using it within the Ammo box was a great idea, absolutely added insurance FWIW. The Ammo box seal does need to trimmed at least in some areas for pressure relief. Or you definitly have a potential shrap metal Bomb. :rolleyes: TSA at the airport would have a field day with this contraption. It looks like a bomb.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: They may call the bomb squad to take it, you will lose it for sure.:giggle:
Again nice work there. I am sure this was a time consuming project. Very neatly done.(y)
Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Last edited:
Isn't the ammo box/charger sitting on the kitchen counter..AND plugged in!?
The moment I plugged it in to take the picture I knew someone would call me out .....

GO CUBS!!!!!!!
Heck yeah, Wait till next year

Batsafe. TBH, I think it is cumbersome.
I looked at those, cumbersome is a great description, but I mainly don't like them because they're ugly..... they are marketing what looks like a kids toy box to adults who spend a lot of money on....... well essentially toys, but hobby grade toys , right?

When do you start going into production now?
Hmmm, retirement is in my near ( 6-7 years ) future, If I could sell 1 of these at what it cost me in time and number of Band-Aids per opening, I'd be lounging on the beach or playing endless golf the rest of my life.....

I feel so reckless and free.. like a 20 year old at Woodstock.. wtf is a lipo bag? How many can I take at once?
FREEBIRD !!!!

Wow & wtf here i am charging my lipos right next to me on the bed
Well, I've heard a number of people say you should monitor the batts as they charge.....

Just like the lipo in my iPhone, crazy talk
You mean like these phones ?

I try not to be that "don't run with scissors" guy, and this project didn't start out as a plan to build a bomb shelter for the lipos, I just thought it was cool how the lipo bag seemed like it was built to fit into an ammo box.... my apologies for using the words "clueless and reckless" for anyone charging a lipo without protection, that came out a little "holier than thou".

I don't know if you did it on purpose or accidentally but you've clarified my position on charging Lipos. Don't get me wrong, I think your design is fire🔥 (no pun intended) and I love ammo boxes and I agree with the comments about the bat safe and it's toy-like cheapness and I agree that if you sold these you would do quite well, I'd much rather give you my money than whoever makes the bat safe because yours is cool and arguably more protective. In the video you linked, many of the phones are exploding/catching on fire when they aren't even on a charger. Just like RC Lipos and really any other type battery to include car batteries and good old AA's, damage or mishandling results in bad things, the bat safe isn't saving anybody, it seems to me, most of the fires you hear about with RC lipos happens while they are in the car rather than while charging. For me the bottom line is this; don't use damaged batteries, don't use damaged phones, decrease your risk that way or let's put ALL batteries in a protective bubble, the risk is the same for all.

Ive got one of these & that shiit be like a alarm clock theres no way i let it over charge or risk destroying it bad boy was like 110$ lol i sit right next to it till it's charged 😂

Goin for a little ride (i kno the center driveshaft is out)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I got an ammo box then halfway through drilling realized I don't have a bit big enough to make the holes big enough for the cables do now I just have a storage box with holes lol

Lipo batteries are everywhere these days. IMO, as long as you're routinely inspecting components there's really no iminent danger.
Physical damage to batteries and cables would seem like the biggest hazards.
How many people put a cordless drill battery into the cradle and leave em for days, weeks, months..
Whatever makes one feel safe is whatever one needs✌️

Lipo batteries are everywhere these days. IMO, as long as you're routinely inspecting components there's really no iminent danger.
Physical damage to batteries and cables would seem like the biggest hazards.
How many people put a cordless drill battery into the cradle and leave em for days, weeks, months..
Whatever makes one feel safe is whatever one needs✌️
All Cordless power tools Do Not use Lithium Polymer cells.
They use Lithium Ion cells. Most current Lion's are 18650 cells inside the battery packs. They appear like longish C-Cell batteries. Different animal altogether. LIons are way less dangerous. Far from volitile cells. The package is designed different. They have venting capabilities also. Some have IC circuits built in or a circuit in the battery case that does this. Many failsafes as they are hard used consumer items. Prevents over charging and over temp because they have temp monitoring. Research for yourself.
Cordless tools could not use Lipo's because they are not the best in roughly used equipment.
And Lion's can be left in a fully charged state without puffing or degradation. They don't require staying at a lower storage volt. That would be counter productive with power tools with the way contractors/Diy'er's are using them
Lipo's are not to be used this way. It ruins them real fast. Needs to always be stored at 3.8v/cell once finished with them.

Regarding BAT-SAFE, they might appear toyish but they are designed very well and if you were to research carefully, the construction, design and materials used are superior for consumer RC use. They make a few sizes. No they are not cheap. But insurance always has a price. And you are getting your moneys worth for an "out the box" safe charging solution. Watch some videos of them. By independant Reviews. It is not a gimmeck.
I use the Medium size one. And use it depending where I am charging my lipos. But always attended regardless.

A large metal ammo box is always a great alternative if done properly. Just needs to vent smoke/gases to release pressure, yet contain the fire, preventing any surrounding materials from combusting. An Ammo Box needs to be lined with a cement board. Or some Fire proof material. Or the metal of the ammo box can get red hot and cause external combustion of stuff outside of it. There are video's of these being tested also.
My thoughts.:cool:

Regarding BAT-SAFE, they might appear toyish but they are designed very well and if you were to research carefully, the construction, design and materials used are superior for consumer RC use. They make a few sizes. No they are not cheap. But insurance always has a price. And you are getting your moneys worth for an "out the box" safe charging solution. Watch some videos of them. By independant Reviews. It is not a gimmeck.
I use the Medium size one. And use it depending where I am charging my lipos. But always attended regardless.

A large metal ammo box is always a great alternative if done properly. Just needs to vent smoke/gases to release pressure, yet contain the fire, preventing any surrounding materials from combusting. An Ammo Box needs to be lined with a cement board. Or some Fire proof material. Or the metal of the ammo box can get red hot and cause external combustion of stuff outside of it. There are video's of these being tested also.
My thoughts.:cool:

I think this was the video of the ammo box you were talking about?

The first few seconds of this video is a good example of why you should ditch the lipo bags.

All Cordless power tools Do Not use Lithium Polymer cells.
They use Lithium Ion cells. Most current Lion's are 18650 cells inside the battery packs. They appear like longish C-Cell batteries. Different animal altogether. LIons are way less dangerous. Far from volitile cells. The package is designed different. They have venting capabilities also. Some have IC circuits built in or a circuit in the battery case that does this. Many failsafes as they are hard used consumer items. Prevents over charging and over temp because they have temp monitoring. Research for yourself.
Cordless tools could not use Lipo's because they are not the best in roughly used equipment.
And Lion's can be left in a fully charged state without puffing or degradation. They don't require staying at a lower storage volt. That would be counter productive with power tools with the way contractors/Diy'er's are using them
Lipo's are not to be used this way. It ruins them real fast. Needs to always be stored at 3.8v/cell once finished with them.
My mistake. Appreciate the clarification 👍

^^^ No mistake on your part.;)
Just added helpful information most do not know about.
:cool:

don't waste your money on Lipo bags. Many newbs buy them too. It became a thing years back. I say they are a Scam. Playing on newcomers fears with Lipo use. Should be taken off the market. But the RC industry is not regulated, so you will find them all over Amain, HH and the big RC sellers. Like they are gold or something. Marketted very hard as a high markup profitable item. A very false sense of security perpetuated in this regard.
They are probably safe rated for tiny 300mah Lipos, if even that.:LOL:

don't waste your money on Lipo bags. Many newbs buy them too. It became a thing years back. I say they are a Scam. Playing on newcomers fears with Lipo use. Should be taken off the market. But the RC industry is not regulated, so you will find them all over Amain, HH and the big RC sellers. Like they are gold or something. Marketted very hard as a high markup profitable item. A very false sense of security perpetuated in this regard.
They are probably safe rated for tiny 300mah Lipos, if even that.:LOL:
2s under 2000mah even those will leave the outside of the bag black.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back