Kraton And always charge balanced...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Yesterday, the second run for a friends new, used, Kyosho.

We had fun for 10 min and then...
LiPo ex..jpg

Smoke and a very little explosion. We ran to the car, removed the body and saw the expended lipo in the tray.
We turned the car of, disconnectetd the LiPo´s and opend the first stripe as the LiPo´s began to move by itself.
After removing the second stripe the LiPo´s exploded and we just had time to kick it out of the car.
Big smoke - but we saved the car.

So, better always charge the LiPo balanced and not as fast as possible.

So you were charging at what rate unbalanced ? I charge at 5C but always balanced. I've never had an issue with any LiPo. I usually charge to 95% only.

I won't say it will never happen but at least you got it out of the vehicle. Hope I can also when the day comes. Lol.

So you were charging at what rate unbalanced ? I charge at 5C but always balanced. I've never had an issue with any LiPo. I usually charge to 95% only.

I won't say it will never happen but at least you got it out of the vehicle. Hope I can also when the day comes. Lol.

I can't tell, only answer I received was, "Charging like always, as fast as possible." I think he learned something.

Why do you charge up to 95% only ?
I always charge balanced until charger say´s "LiPo full". I guess that´s 100% than.

Last edited:
The last 5% takes too long and I don't notice much between 100 and 95....I'll charge to 95% at 25 amps. I have a high power program on my charger. I use it almost every time.. It charges real fast.

Last edited:
I can't tell the difference between 100% and 95%. It's easier on the battery and takes way less time to charge.

Okay, good reasons.
It takes my 4s, 6000mah about 2 hours to charge. Of course incl. balancing... ;)

Okay, good reasons.
It takes my 4s, 6000mah about 2 hours to charge. Of course incl. balancing... ;)

WOW. What charger are you using? I would buy a bigger charger. I use a parallel board @ 10a. Charging 2 packs at same time never takes over 30mims.

Morning,

I have to correct myself, it is a 4s with 6.600mah and it never took me longer than 2 hours to charge it balanced.

I am using the Karate charger, it was app 35€, so very cheap:
Karate.jpg

The specs: (sorry, only in German)
Eingangsspannung: 100-240 V (AC); 11-18 V (DC)
Ladeleistung: max. 80 W
Entladeleistung: max. 5 W
Ladestrom: 0,1-7,0 A
Entladestrom: 0,1-1,0 A
Balancer-Strom: 300 mA/Zelle
Zellenzahl: 1-15 Nickel; 1-6 Lithium
Pb-Spannung: 2-20 V
Abmessungen: 145 x 138 x 55 mm Gewicht: 440 g

I charge at 25 amps at all times for my Kraton, that's 5C for me. Never one problem in years of doing so. I'm done charging in about 15 mins. Just saying.

The best tool for electric RC's is a powerful charger and power supply. You can get into charging 4 packs in 2 hours. Stuff like that. I don't recommend it to people starting out in the hobby but it can be done. I have 2 boys...I need to charge 4 of their packs all at once. I don't use multi port chargers...I just have a good parallel board.

I let their Lipo's sit plugged into the board for a little bit before I charge them....they will all equal out.

You need 20 amps to charge 4 5000mah Lipo's at 1C on a parallel board.

FMA Powerlab 6. From Progressive RC. Is one I use.
Everything is fused and thermal fused. I love Progressive RC for chargers.
I didn't spend too much but the more power..the better.

Maximum Charge Power
1000W (when input voltage >30V; 408W when 12V)
Charge Current Range 10mA - 40A
Discharge Current Range 10mA - 40A
Input Voltage 10 - 32V DC
Input Current 40A
Maximum Discharge 50W / 8A
Maximum Regenerative Discharge 1000W / 40A
Current Drain For Balancing 1000mA
Balance Accuracy 6mV
LiPo/LiIo/LiFe 1 - 6 series

Only problem is...you also need a strong power supply with 32 volts to use this charger at its full potential. . However....it makes the hobby much more enjoyable once you get into some force feeding of the Lipo's . If done safe...it's never a problem. 1C is crap.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back