Kraton And I thought it was my bearings.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevlar only holds the magnets in place to prevent them from disintegrating from centrifugal force, no electrical isolation.
As soon as a little dirt gets in it will start fraying and it's downhill from there.
#1 Motor failed: I had water/dirt get into the open screw holes after driving through mud puddles. Motor died ~ 2-3 bash sessions later.
It created friction on the kevlar and it unraveled.
#2 failed: Either the screws on the backshell were not secured or missing. Didn't check after arrival. Ultimately it came loose and the rotor hit the inside of the motor and at ~ 40000rpm that's the end of it. This one has the magnets shattered in pieces.
On #3 now..yeah :oops:

Edit: Heat will kill the glue that holds the kevlar in place and it will come loose, rest is the same story.
100% agree. I just gotta stop hosing it down from every now and again to never again. Just compressed air from now on. Gonna pop the ceramic bearings in and give the insides an air blast every month.

How the hell do I get the end cap bearing out. I’ve tried using a small screwdriver to pry it out, a small bent needle pick even tried heating it. It’s like it’s been pressed in. Any ideas??
F3B067DD-0F3A-4105-A2E7-715D577E320D.jpeg

Let me know when you find out. So far I had no luck on mine but gave up quickly after breaking a screwdriver tip. I was contemplating drilling out the back and pushing it out. Later I would seal it again with something.

A piece of bread. No sh!t. Ball up little pieces of bread and stuff them in the hole. Keep stuffing them in using the motor shaft as a ram until the bearing pops out.

A piece of bread. No sh!t. Ball up little pieces of bread and stuff them in the hole. Keep stuffing them in using the motor shaft as a ram until the bearing pops out.
Sounds weird but I’ll give it a go next time. I’ve put it all back together with only the front bearing being ceramic which I guess is the most important one. But thanks for the tip.
Let me know when you find out. So far I had no luck on mine but gave up quickly after breaking a screwdriver tip. I was contemplating drilling out the back and pushing it out. Later I would seal it again with something.
I was going to do the same but it’s a brand new motor lol. Then I thought there would be nothing I can think of to cover the hole with because it gets so hot, anything would melt off.

Sounds weird but I’ll give it a go next time. I’ve put it all back together with only the front bearing being ceramic which I guess is the most important one. But thanks for the tip.

I was going to do the same but it’s a brand new motor lol. Then I thought there would be nothing I can think of to cover the hole with because it gets so hot, anything would melt off.

If packing it full of bread is too kinky for you, grease will also work....

Yeh Kevlar is excellent against heat but it has its limitations as I found out. ?
Its the Resin that holds the Kevlar in place that fails at temps over 200F. Most motors.

I didn’t use bread but I used Blu Tack and it worked perfectly. I balled it up, put it in the center of the bearing and tapped the shaft of the old motor into it and kept adding bit by bit of Blu Tack until it popped out. Thanks for the advise jondilly1974, it worked well.

I didn’t use bread but I used Blu Tack and it worked perfectly. I balled it up, put it in the center of the bearing and tapped the shaft of the old motor into it and kept adding bit by bit of Blu Tack until it popped out. Thanks for the advise jondilly1974, it worked well.
I am really confused how this is done? Does anyone have any pictures of how to do this? I was trying to figure it out with the bread as well but still don’t understand how /what you all are actually doing to accomplish this. I am currently trying to replace my bearings in my motor.

I am really confused how this is done? Does anyone have any pictures of how to do this? I was trying to figure it out with the bread as well but still don’t understand how /what you all are actually doing to accomplish this. I am currently trying to replace my bearings in my motor.
Take a small pinch of bread and ball it up and stuff it inside the inner bearing race, thru the hole. Keep doing that until it’s filled. Then take the rotor out of the can and use the end to push the bread in further. Pull the rotor out and put more bread in. Put the rotor shaft back in and repeat until the bearing pops out.
Here is a video I found

I just used the same bread technique on my HW motor last week, but I used a hex driver that just fit through the bearing. ?

Works perfectly!!!
You just need too keep adding more tiny bread balls until it pops out.

Take a small pinch of bread and ball it up and stuff it inside the inner bearing race, thru the hole. Keep doing that until it’s filled. Then take the rotor out of the can and use the end to push the bread in further. Pull the rotor out and put more bread in. Put the rotor shaft back in and repeat until the bearing pops out.
Here is a video I found

Excellent video and technique. I used Blu Tack which also work perfectly but I like the bread idea because you’ll be to make tiny bearing toasts with them afterwards ??

I’m in Australia so I’m guessing the 200 is Fahrenheit? Yeh have to admit I have a few times hosed the truck down but I usually blow it down with compressed air. Thanks for the info.
You have to disassemble the motor to really clean it and the bearings and lube them. Hose just ruins it ,water seeps in. Its not really WP at all. The bearings get wet and get bricked, then the arm spins off center and tears up the Kevlar wrap all while running hotter and hotter. It becomes a disaster just waiting to implode.:LOL:

I just used a heat gun on mine until I smelled something burning, then tapped it on the table and the bearing fell out.

I've read about the bread trick though too. Hydraulics are a powerful thing. Bread probably works better than grease on larger bearings at least as it's less likely to ooze through the bearing race.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back