Kraton And I thought it was my bearings.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestOz RC

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
So a few weeks ago I took my 3mth old Kraton 6s for a bash at a really awesome development site that is under construction with semi hard packed and soft sand with jumps and stuff. While on my second set of batteries, went to do a backflip and mid flight the motor seized. After a few undisclosed words out loud, I packed up and took it straight back to my hobby shop. They said it will be covered under warranty which I was very pleased with.
After 3 weeks there, I picked it up today and they showed me the motor. I was shocked to see how much damage was done, needless to say, I few more undisclosed words came to mind, and I thought it was the bearings ??
Anyone else had this happen to their motor?
573D4CC3-6DC4-4A9D-8F46-049E00131B9D.jpeg

Last edited:
So a few weeks ago I took my 3mth old Kraton 6s for a bash at a really awesome development site that is under construction with semi hard packed and soft sand with jumps and stuff. While on my second set of batteries, went to do a backflip and mid flight the motor seized. After a few undisclosed words out load, I packed up and took it straight back to my hobby shop. They said it will be covered under warranty which I was very pleased with.
After 3 weeks there, I picked it up today and they showed me the motor. I was shocked to see how much damage was done, needless to say, I few more undisclosed words came to mind, and I thought it was the bearings ??
View attachment 72727

Thats bad luck ☹ my kraton is getting on for a year old and iv never serviced the motor. Iv Bean running fans to keep the temps down but i do often run it in wet conditions seeing you picture of your fully destroyed motor has given me the kick up the butt i need to strip down check and clean and lube my motor. ( Long overdue ) its good you got yours replaced on warranty ??happy bashing

Thats bad luck ☹ my kraton is getting on for a year old and iv never serviced the motor. Iv Bean running fans to keep the temps down but i do often run it in wet conditions seeing you picture of your fully destroyed motor has given me the kick up the butt i need to strip down check and clean and lube my motor. ( Long overdue ) its good you got yours replaced on warranty ??happy bashing
Yeh Ex I would definitely be giving your motor a look over bud. I bought ceramic bearings for the new motor and I'm gonna pop them in on the weekend.
Good luck with yours man.
She was cooking alright. I wonder what the temps were.
Not sure what they were but I'm gonna buy a temp gun this weekend for sure.

So a few weeks ago I took my 3mth old Kraton 6s for a bash at a really awesome development site that is under construction with semi hard packed and soft sand with jumps and stuff. While on my second set of batteries, went to do a backflip and mid flight the motor seized. After a few undisclosed words out loud, I packed up and took it straight back to my hobby shop. They said it will be covered under warranty which I was very pleased with.
View attachment 72727
Well done!!
it’s a very easy thing to do. I remove the motor and cleane and reoil the bearings every 5 charges or so.

Dirt and water are a guarantee to kill the motor. That's how I killed my first, cover the open screw holes in the front and avoid water, it will get through the bearings.
Link below, the back-end screws came loose and the rest is history.
Another sure-fire way to kill it is to have temps above ~ 190, I think ~ 200 is almost a guarantee to fail within a couple runs. The kevlar/glue will disintegrate and that is what you have as well. Stay below 170, it gets hot real fast.
Igf you are in the US< get replacement motors from JennyRC.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/death-of-a-motor.19097/

View attachment 72727
When I first got my traxxas 2WD Slash, I did just that to its motor as well!! Mine was cause of over heating... ?

Well done!!
it’s a very easy thing to do. I remove the motor and cleane and reoil the bearings every 5 charges or so.
Ha! I'm nowhere near diligent enough for that! I ran mine in my outcast for over a year, then when I put the max6 in it, I pulled the motor and replaced the bearings with hybrid ceramic's since I had it apart.

The 2200kv in my ERBE was in it for over 3 years... I never messed with it. I just pulled it recently and replaced it with an arrma 2050kv and max6 as well.

Dirt and water are a guarantee to kill the motor. That's how I killed my first, cover the open screw holes in the front and avoid water, it will get through the bearings.
Link below, the back-end screws came loose and the rest is history.
Another sure-fire way to kill it is to have temps above ~ 190, I think ~ 200 is almost a guarantee to fail within a couple runs. The kevlar/glue will disintegrate and that is what you have as well. Stay below 170, it gets hot real fast.
Igf you are in the US< get replacement motors from JennyRC.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/death-of-a-motor.19097/
I’m in Australia so I’m guessing the 200 is Fahrenheit? Yeh have to admit I have a few times hosed the truck down but I usually blow it down with compressed air. Thanks for the info.

View attachment 72727

What is that stuff? Is it debris from the rotor or the windings, or "something else"? It almost looks like plant material that got sucked in and chewed up.

What is that stuff? Is it debris from the rotor or the windings, or "something else"? It almost looks like plant material that got sucked in and chewed up.
It’s the Kevlar wrapping on the magnets. Once it picks up some it just keeps ripping it off so I’m told. Nasty stuff. Gotta keep it cooler and water away.

It’s the Kevlar wrapping on the magnets. Once it picks up some it just keeps ripping it off so I’m told. Nasty stuff. Gotta keep it cooler and water away.

Thanks for the answer. I should get a couple of "spare" motors I can take apart and tinker with to see how they're made. Didn't know the windings were insulated with Kevlar.

Thanks for the answer. I should get a couple of "spare" motors I can take apart and tinker with to see how they're made. Didn't know the windings were insulated with Kevlar.
Yeh Kevlar is excellent against heat but it has its limitations as I found out. ?

Kevlar only holds the magnets in place to prevent them from disintegrating from centrifugal force, no electrical isolation.
As soon as a little dirt gets in it will start fraying and it's downhill from there.
#1 Motor failed: I had water/dirt get into the open screw holes after driving through mud puddles. Motor died ~ 2-3 bash sessions later.
It created friction on the kevlar and it unraveled.
#2 failed: Either the screws on the backshell were not secured or missing. Didn't check after arrival. Ultimately it came loose and the rotor hit the inside of the motor and at ~ 40000rpm that's the end of it. This one has the magnets shattered in pieces.
On #3 now..yeah :oops:

Edit: Heat will kill the glue that holds the kevlar in place and it will come loose, rest is the same story.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back