Typhon And... we’ve got a Typhon now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What i say is only comparing a BLX 3s senton/granit/Big rock to the Typhon. I planned to upgrade the a-arms of my Big rock with the Typhon a-arms, but if the plastic is more hard, i think i will stay with the stock a-arms.

Sure this new serie have been desgined to be cheap to produce to be in concurrence with Traxxas. It is something really new to see this kind of drive train on some big 1/10 like they are, especially the plastic gears and center drive shaft (without talk about the really too tight motor pinion on the spur gear because ther motor positon isn't really adjustable, which is a bad desgin from the start or a measure mistake to place the motor screws holes, which give the particular noise that make all the 3s BLX). We can't expect something perfect from them also.

But if it come to compare with other cheaper brands, like JLB or stuff like that, i prefer the a-arms of the BLX 3s.

Arrma has showed that they are really reactive to improve parts on their cars, more than other brands. I have seen that the skid plate have also been upgrade compared to the mega serie. I hope this serie will be the beginning of a long story like the 1/8.

I just noticed the Typhon and Big Rock use a different 57t spur than the Granite/Senton.

Granite/Senton is part# 310879. Typhon/Big Rock is 310907. Both are 57t, not sure what the difference is, looks like the rest of the slipper assembly is the same.

I just noticed the Typhon and Big Rock use a different 57t spur than the Granite/Senton.

Granite/Senton is part# 310879. Typhon/Big Rock is 310907. Both are 57t, not sure what the difference is, looks like the rest of the slipper assembly is the same.
Is one thicker than the other maybe?

I’ve looked at it at @jym73 video and compared it to my Senton slipper, the only thing i see is that they change the front slipper pad seating from hex to those corners holders... @jym73 also mentioned his slipper only uses 2 pads while my Senton uses 3, but he might be mistaken on that since the exploded view shows 3 on both of them.

If someone here have both the Big Rock and a senton/granite (@bicketybam...), they can tell if they are interchangeable and what the different are?

I didn't take my slipper apart as i wanted to keep it with stock tightening. But it actualy has 3 pads. From the exploded view all the others parts of the slipper are same, so, for me, they are interchangeable.

I really don't see why Arrma made a different spur gear for the Typhon and BRCC. The only thing i see is that maybe the "front" pad will be easier to remove on the Typhon/BRCC slipper.

EDIT : but, If we watch the Slipper Plate and Hub part number, which is 310880 on the exploded view on both granit and BRCC, in the BRCCC/Typhon parts list it is 310909. And, if don't do a mistake, i don't see any Slipper Plate and Hub part in the Granit parts list.
If we search, with the arrma website search engine, the part 310880 for the granit is discontinued, when the part 310909 isn't. So, maybe the spur isn't compatible. Maybe i do a mistake, but from the 3D pictures of these parts, i see a slightly more thick slipper plate on the 310909 than 310880.

310880 :
99UUQPRFKAP4QX4H2BUYYRN46KEX4GB6G3NC8JYEP8Z8F4Q649.jpg

310909 :
RYY3XDEU3UVAPZEKYHWCBXPZJF993Z9NZ4ADATPFTVM3M8R2MC.jpg

Hard to say, but it is the part on the right of the 310909 picture which seems to me more thick.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the spur on my Typhon is the same as the BRCC. It has 3 pads, 1 front, 2 rear. The spur on my Granite has full hex cut outs for the pads while the Typhon spur has angled tabs which extend a bit more. The Granite slipper also has 3 pads. The rear plates on both are interchangeable, same lengths, but the Typhon plate is nearly twice as thick. The Granite plate has a lip in the rear to make up for the thickness. The Typhon plate doesn't have this lip.

Thanks @Megasty.

Can the whole Typhon assembly fit in the Granite? and vice versa

I'm asking to know if (when the parts will be available), i can buy the new part for my Senton.
Yes, both assemblies are interchangeable. The circular pad separator in both are the same part. The only difference is the thickness of the plates & the tabbed spur. The rest of the parts are the same.

As far as I can tell, the spur on my Typhon is the same as the BRCC. It has 3 pads, 1 front, 2 rear. The spur on my Granite has full hex cut outs for the pads while the Typhon spur has angled tabs which extend a bit more. The Granite slipper also has 3 pads. The rear plates on both are interchangeable, same lengths, but the Typhon plate is nearly twice as thick. The Granite plate has a lip in the rear to make up for the thickness. The Typhon plate doesn't have this lip.

Thanks for the analysis! So it sounds like you need to buy the spur that matches your front plate then, since they are designed for different thicknesses?

I was going to buy the Typhon spur as a replacement for my Granite spur, but sounds like that’s a bad idea.

Thanks for the analysis! So it sounds like you need to buy the spur that matches your front plate then, since they are designed for different thicknesses?

I was going to buy the Typhon spur as a replacement for my Granite spur, but sounds like that’s a bad idea.
Literally everything is interchangeable. The plate thickness doesn't affect the overall dimension of the part. Only 3 parts are different & all the other parts that join the slipper are the same. They still have to fit the same housing & motor mount so Arrma had to make sure any refinements to the slipper design were within those limits.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back