Granite Another 3s brushless swap question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpark_12

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
I have a Granite Mega 4x4 and have already swapped the motor and esc to brushless. I went with the Onyx 3000kv and 70 amp ESC. I’ve run 2s and 3s lipos so far with no ill effects as of yet. My question is, the V3 says that the differentials are “brushless ready”, but will they handle a full on blx 3s swap? Are they the same input gear? I have a granite blx also, but I’ve sheared the teeth off of both gears in my rear differential twice already. It’s probably from me landing on full throttle, but I’ll eventually learn.

I have a Granite Mega 4x4 and have already swapped the motor and esc to brushless. I went with the Onyx 3000kv and 70 amp ESC. I’ve run 2s and 3s lipos so far with no ill effects as of yet. My question is, the V3 says that the differentials are “brushless ready”, but will they handle a full on blx 3s swap? Are they the same input gear? I have a granite blx also, but I’ve sheared the teeth off of both gears in my rear differential twice already. It’s probably from me landing on full throttle, but I’ll eventually learn.
If it’s a v3 mega then yes, the diffs are the same as 3s cars. Unfortunately, on some of the megas, they put grease in the rear differentials. That’s what I found on the mega infraction. But one of the first things you should do anyway is open up the diffs and top them off. If it is grease, clean that crap out.

Yeah, landing on full power isn’t good. Loosen up your slipper a little bit while you learn, a half to 2/3rds turn. Slipper pads are cheaper than differentials and driveshaft. The additional give will help the drivetrain absorb your mistakes.

Also check out the Metal Diff Yokes, they come highly recommended from @Velodromed (y)

I have one 3S rig that has been very reliable (we rebuilt it from the ground up). I suspect the new plastic differential yokes were formed better than others (stiffer) because that little RC has been pretty good. Far better than my other granite running the VXL 3s... I have lost count how many diffs that one has shredded.

Funny story, that ones is still running the Mega Slipper assembly. After blowing (I think that was diff 2) I noticed the slipper housing was fused together. That is because the Mega slipper is :poop: and utilizes plastic on plastic technology during "slipping" action. I "unfused" them and in the process cracked the spur gear. A little shoe goo later and added grease around the plastic collar and it has been ripping ever since. :ROFLMAO:

Honestly though, just upgrade to the BLX slipper assembly. If you don't do it right away at a minimum lube the plastic collar on the Mega slipper.

EDIT, FYI:
24363SDFGDSF236.png

Last edited:
If it’s a v3 mega then yes, the diffs are the same as 3s cars. Unfortunately, on some of the megas, they put grease in the rear differentials. That’s what I found on the mega infraction. But one of the first things you should do anyway is open up the diffs and top them off. If it is grease, clean that crap out.

Yeah, landing on full power isn’t good. Loosen up your slipper a little bit while you learn, a half to 2/3rds turn. Slipper pads are cheaper than differentials and driveshaft. The additional give will help the drivetrain absorb your mistakes.
I’ll check the diffs for sure

I’ll check the diffs for sure
Also check out the Metal Diff Yokes, they come highly recommended from @Velodromed (y)

I have one 3S rig that has been very reliable (we rebuilt it from the ground up). I suspect the new plastic differential yokes were formed better than others (stiffer) because that little RC has been pretty good. Far better than my other granite running the VXL 3s... I have lost count how many diffs that one has shredded.

Funny story, that ones is still running the Mega Slipper assembly. After blowing (I think that was diff 2) I noticed the slipper housing was fused together. That is because the Mega slipper is :poop: and utilizes plastic on plastic technology during "slipping" action. I "unfused" them and in the process cracked the spur gear. A little shoe goo later and added grease around the plastic collar and it has been ripping ever since. :ROFLMAO:

Honestly though, just upgrade to the BLX slipper assembly. If you don't do it right away at a minimum lube the plastic collar on the Mega slipper assembly.
I have a spare blx slipper clutch as well. I’ll swap it in shortly.

Last edited:

Honestly though, just upgrade to the BLX slipper assembly. If you don't do it right away at a minimum lube the plastic collar on the Mega slipper.

EDIT, FYI:
View attachment 269125
My mega infraction… when I updated it to 3s I simply bought a 50t spur and kept thee we mega hub set up. It’s still going great. So I tried the same with a parts bin 3s typhoon and it melted within five or six runs. Figured off-road might be a bit much for it 😂

My mega infraction… when I updated it to 3s I simply bought a 50t spur and kept thee we mega hub set up. It’s still going great. So I tried the same with a parts bin 3s typhoon and it melted within five or six runs. Figured off-road might be a bit much for it 😂
Now you know an easy way to make a spool 💪 :LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back